Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

Buying new catalytic converter

Took the Camaro to the shop today to get the the cold air blowing again and to check the messages on the dash. Turns out I need a catalytic converter on the driver side. Haven't had to buy any in my almost 10 years of owning the car so I think I've done pretty well. That being said:

1) What cats would you guys say are the best for the '00 SS?
    2) Assuming I will be purchasing an aftermarket cat, is it in my best interest to order one for the other side as well?

Thanks as always!

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by GungHoPopsicle View Post
    Took the Camaro to the shop today to get the the cold air blowing again and to check the messages on the dash. Turns out I need a catalytic converter on the driver side. Haven't had to buy any in my almost 10 years of owning the car so I think I've done pretty well. That being said:

1) What cats would you guys say are the best for the '00 SS?
    2) Assuming I will be purchasing an aftermarket cat, is it in my best interest to order one for the other side as well?

Thanks as always!
    depends on what setup you have. do you have long tube headers or anything like that...?
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    depends on what setup you have. do you have long tube headers or anything like that...?
    Not as of yet, but I do plan on getting them in the near future. Haven't decided on short or long tube though.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Don't waste your money on shorties -- LT's are the way to go.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Don't waste your money on shorties -- LT's are the way to go.
    Agreed...you can pick up legitimate gains with long tubes. Shorty headers don't come close to what long tubes can do.

If you are serious about headers I'd recommend picking up a set of long tubes with a matching y pipe with high flow cats.
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 07-09-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I wouldn't even bother with cats.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by Badass WS6 View Post
    I wouldn't even bother with cats.
    you have to have them in Nashville...they do a visual inspection. WITH THAT SAID...you can snag some of these if you have your car tuned...

Catalytic Converter

Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

Agreed...you can pick up legitimate gains with long tubes. Shorty headers don't come close to what long tubes can do.

If you are serious about headers I'd recommend picking up a set of long tubes with a matching y pipe with high flow cats.
    The issue that I've read about most with long tube headers is ground clearance, so if I were to get long tubes, they'd have to be practical. Recommendations?

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

If you just want a stock replacement but don't want to pay GM prices I'd suggest Walker part 53269. Runs a little more than $133 on Rock Auto. That converter will fit and look just like stock and is emissions certified everywhere except for California or New York (those cost twice as much) which should not be a problem for you.

Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

Oh, and with the cat being an immediate issue, headers will have to wait til I can afford 'em. So I'm still waiting on recommendations for cats. And theorangeguy - my Camaro isn't registered in Davidson county, so I don't have to pass emissions. However, I have been told that muffler shops in counties that must pass emissions won't take them off unless it's to replace them.

Black / White

The issue that I've read about most with long tube headers is ground clearance, so if I were to get long tubes, they'd have to be practical. Recommendations?
    i've run long tubes on all of my cars and never had an issue with clearance. tons of guys run them with lowered cars and they dont rub on anything either...might have to take it slower over a speed bump, but you really shouldnt have any clearance issues.

Longtube recommendations will vary...depends on what amount of money you are wanting to spend and if you want stainless, ceramic, or no coating. If you drive you car in the rain at all I would recommend stainless otherwise the bottom of the headers will eventually start to change colors and rust. I have been looking at a set of speed engineering stainless long tubes for my car...mine came with uncoated long tubes when I bought it and they are ok, but I like the new shiny look so im going to swap them...

Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

i've run long tubes on all of my cars and never had an issue with clearance. tons of guys run them with lowered cars and they dont rub on anything either...might have to take it slower over a speed bump, but you really shouldnt have any clearance issues.

Longtube recommendations will vary...depends on what amount of money you are wanting to spend and if you want stainless, ceramic, or no coating. If you drive you car in the rain at all I would recommend stainless otherwise the bottom of the headers will eventually start to change colors and rust. I have been looking at a set of speed engineering stainless long tubes for my car...mine came with uncoated long tubes when I bought it and they are ok, but I like the new shiny look so im going to swap them...
    I think I had initially considered short tube headers because I hadn't seen any long tube headers in black, and not to mention shorties look great. Besides, I never intended for my car to be a performance beast, just a great-looking, smooth driving, low rumblin' cruiser. Also, I'm going for a white/black color scheme with bits of chrome here and there, so I wanted that to carry over under the hood. Can I get long tubes in black?

Getting back to the original topic - what are some great high-flow cats???

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

What clearance problems? These are Kooks and they tuck up nicely:

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Magnaflow is one.

Black / White

I think I had initially considered short tube headers because I hadn't seen any long tube headers in black, and not to mention shorties look great. Besides, I never intended for my car to be a performance beast, just a great-looking, smooth driving, low rumblin' cruiser. Also, I'm going for a white/black color scheme with bits of chrome here and there, so I wanted that to carry over under the hood. Can I get long tubes in black?

My long tubes are black...slp makes high flow cats that a lot of people run. Kooks makes some as well. Check eBay too.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I did install the high flow catted Y-pipe from Kooks in our car to keep things semi-legal.

Black / White

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

You will have trouble finding something that fits and looks like stock but is also high flow. If you want high flow you will have to go with aftermarket that connect up to headers. Unless you have some significant modifications like cam, heads, or LTs, the stock cats do not impact your flow enough to worry about over what you will gain with a high flow cat. If you aren't ready to go with LTs now just replace with a stock part like the Walker cat I recommended and save your money to do it all (LTs and high flow cats) later.

Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

Alright, well...if it's in my best interest to just get headers/y-pipe/cats, can I get some recommendations there? I know a lot of the brands out there, I just want to know which ones are tried and true. And black headers - would be nice

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Kooks is highly recommended by members of various forums. Other members of this forum will chime in, I'm sure.

Thread Information