Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Buying new catalytic converter

This is a discussion on Buying new catalytic converter within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; On the cheaper price end but very good quality and fitment OBX headers and y-pipe. Can be found on e-bay ...

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

On the cheaper price end but very good quality and fitment OBX headers and y-pipe. Can be found on e-bay catted or resonator. I have them on my car for 3yrs now and they still look great and no issues with ground clearance.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Not to hijack this thread, but I too have just throwing a P0420. The two times it has happened was when I came to a stop/idle and I have noticed some drop in fuel efficiency. I presume, at 115k, that the driver side converter needs replacing (and probably the sensors). I had the passenger side replaced while it was still under warranty (70k). This car is a California emissions car (bought in New York, now is with me in Maryland).

I haven't seen anything online for a CA emissions one. How different are the CA emissions converters (flow and functionality with the emissions system) and where can someone find the pricing (aside from a GM dealer). I am trying to figure how much it will set me back, but also want something that flows as well, or better than the factory models.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Our car was originally sold in CA and I asked this very same question. I was told that there is no difference in the emissions on our car versus those sold in other states. I have a low mile cat left over from our car - it is a GM replacement, but I would have to go look to see which side it is.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Our car was originally sold in CA and I asked this very same question. I was told that there is no difference in the emissions on our car versus those sold in other states. I have a low mile cat left over from our car - it is a GM replacement, but I would have to go look to see which side it is.
    That would be kind of you. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I took my family on a vacation near Antietam and the was very little, if any internet access, where i was.

The whole thing is fairly odd. The code pretty much pops up once a week when I crawl to an idle after highway cruising, and stays off for a week after I clear it.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Hope you enjoyed the vacation.

Could be a wonky O2 sender causing the issue as well.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Hope you enjoyed the vacation.

Could be a wonky O2 sender causing the issue as well.
    By "wonk 02 senser", I presume you are talking about the rear 02 sensor not the A/F ratio sensor pre-cat? If so, I was thinking about that too. I wonder if I can access that without putting the car on a lift.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Swap your rear O2 sensors side-to-side and see if the code moves to the passenger side, or stays on the drivre side. That'll help you narrow down what the actual issue might be. You can use ramps or a floor jack and jackstands to access the sensors.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Swap your rear O2 sensors side-to-side and see if the code moves to the passenger side, or stays on the drivre side. That'll help you narrow down what the actual issue might be. You can use ramps or a floor jack and jackstands to access the sensors.
    Apparently, BJ's must sell poor quality fuel. I was buying from them every other week (when I didn't. Have gas points from Shell) I started to notice that the code was coming up after I was halfway through a tank of the BJ's gas. I switched to Sunoco 93 for the off gas points week and the code hasn't popped up and my gas mileage is better. Go figure that the lowest price in town would do that.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Apparently, BJ's must sell poor quality fuel. I was buying from them every other week (when I didn't. Have gas points from Shell) I started to notice that the code was coming up after I was halfway through a tank of the BJ's gas. I switched to Sunoco 93 for the off gas points week and the code hasn't popped up and my gas mileage is better. Go figure that the lowest price in town would do that.
    That's interesting. My P0420 code pops up occasionally and I always use Shell premium.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    That's interesting. My P0420 code pops up occasionally and I always use Shell premium.
    Well, I guess that I will have to pay attention for a bit longer then and rule the gas out if the frequency jumps back up. It still seems more than a coincidence to me that I stopped using that fuel and things got better. Im not poo-pooing all the BJ's anywhere or saying that all Shell fuels are better. The BJ's down the road from me could've gotten some crappy has or didn't maintain the tank and contaminated the fuel or something. Im just hoping the code stays away.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Well, I guess that I will have to pay attention for a bit longer then and rule the gas out if the frequency jumps back up. It still seems more than a coincidence to me that I stopped using that fuel and things got better. Im not poo-pooing all the BJ's anywhere or saying that all Shell fuels are better. The BJ's down the road from me could've gotten some crappy has or didn't maintain the tank and contaminated the fuel or something. Im just hoping the code stays away.
    I just keep deleting mine. Stayed away for almost a year last time and I nailed it a few weeks ago getting on the freeway and it came back again

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I just keep deleting mine. Stayed away for almost a year last time and I nailed it a few weeks ago getting on the freeway and it came back again
    I wouldn't have been too worried if it was once a year, but this was happening pretty much on a biweekly basis.

I think that their fuel has too much sulfur in it and that if was the culprit. Pretty much six months after I was frequently using their gas, the fuel sender started giving wonky readings as well. Since I stopped using them, and used Seafoam in the tank, its nowhere nearly as wonky as it was. The car feels like it has gotten some of its responsiveness and power back too.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I wouldn't have been too worried if it was once a year, but this was happening pretty much on a biweekly basis.

I think that their fuel has too much sulfur in it and that if was the culprit. Pretty much six months after I was frequently using their gas, the fuel sender started giving wonky readings as well. Since I stopped using them, and used Seafoam in the tank, its nowhere nearly as wonky as it was. The car feels like it has gotten some of its responsiveness and power back too.
    Yeah, I only worry about it at smog time. If it pops up before, I clear it, drive it for just over 50 miles and it passes no problem. I'd be interested to know if your gas theory works out for you in the long run though.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Yeah, I only worry about it at smog time. If it pops up before, I clear it, drive it for just over 50 miles and it passes no problem. I'd be interested to know if your gas theory works out for you in the long run though.
    I just need it to hold about a year, when I start putting go faster toys on it and replace the stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information