Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 86

Burkhart Chassis Front Bumper Support

This is a discussion on Burkhart Chassis Front Bumper Support within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; It is definitely for the Firebird/Trans Am and not a Camaro as it has the mounts for the driving lights. ...

  1. #41
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    It is definitely for the Firebird/Trans Am and not a Camaro as it has the mounts for the driving lights. Only the center support is off kilter on it -- I'll bolt it up and get some pics. Ended up home too late last night to make it out to the garage.

  2. #42
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Finally managed to get a weight comparison between the stock bumper support and Burkhart tubular support. The difference is not all that great, only 6.5 pounds:

    STOCK - 19.0 lbs. BURKHART - 12.5 lbs

    I was really disappointed as it was my understanding that I would be shaving around 20 lbs. off the front end of the car. I know I have an email either on this computer or my one at work where I asked about the weight difference.


    The alignment of the bumper support was definitely off. The three (3) rods are supposed to be pinned to the plastic panel between the headlights. These are also where the bumper cover wraps around and is attached by the same pins. As you can see, there is no way the pins would have worked and although the plastic panel could be flexed downward, this would have skewed the position of the bumper cover and resulted in a larger gap under the hood.








    Anyway, I looked everything over again this evening and decided that if I re-drilled the two (2) small holes about 3/8" higher than the existing hole, I would be able to mate the plastic panel to the three (3) support rods. For whatever reason, the four (4) large hole are all slotted and have almost an inch of travel up and down. The small holes are just a bit oblong side to side so there is no movement. Once I drilled the hole the bumper support matched up quite a bit better and only some minor bending of the rods was required. The center rod must have really been bent down in shipping as I initially thought it would need to be extended to work.









    Last edited by pajeff02; 08-25-2012 at 06:54 PM.

  3. #43
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban


  4. #44
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    so you think it was damage in shipping?

  5. #45
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    The box wasn't damaged, so not sure if they bent it wrapping it up, or what. The rods are not very rigid and can easily be bent by hand.

    Guess if weight is my issue, I should probably drain the washer tank - probably hasn't been used more than once or twice since we bought the car.

  6. #46
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The box wasn't damaged, so not sure if they bent it wrapping it up, or what. The rods are not very rigid and can easily be bent by hand.

    Guess if weight is my issue, I should probably drain the washer tank - probably hasn't been used more than once or twice since we bought the car.
    Remove the tank, wipers, and wiper motor...easily 25-30 pounds there.

  7. #47
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wikenberg, Arizona
    Posts
    56

    factory metalic red
    2002 Z28

    Only problem with removing wipers is you could get a ticket for that

    Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2

  8. #48
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ttop View Post
    Only problem with removing wipers is you could get a ticket for that
    That's fine...it will go along with my illegal tint, exhaust, suspension (lowered), roll cage, 5-point harnesses, and disabled air bags.

  9. #49
    Member SuperSSguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    979

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    That's fine...it will go along with my illegal tint, exhaust, suspension (lowered), roll cage, 5-point harnesses, and disabled air bags.
    I can see the tint,exhaust,and disabled air bag being illegal but suspension(lowered)-roll cage-5pt harness..illegal too?...really?.......

  10. #50
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Remove the tank, wipers, and wiper motor...easily 25-30 pounds there.

    We still street drive the car, so it'll stay for now. I just siphoned off a little over 1/2 gallon of fluid though.


    Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ttop View Post
    Only problem with removing wipers is you could get a ticket for that

    Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2

    I actually possess a license to speed and break other traffic laws in my state.

  11. #51
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    I can see the tint,exhaust,and disabled air bag being illegal but suspension(lowered)-roll cage-5pt harness..illegal too?...really?.......
    Welcome to Maryland. They do not allow any modifications to cars.

    My old insurance company actually dropped me because I installed a roll cage and harnesses. They said it proves that I race the car. I didn't deny this, and my argument was that insurance coverage stops at the gate of the track regardless, so why is having a cage on the street a problem? So much for 8 years of paying them premiums and only making ONE claim, and that claim wasn't even $1000

  12. #52
    Senior Member kingls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Johnstown,PA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,102

    Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

    I actually possess a license to speed and break other traffic laws in my state. [/QUOTE]
    I got that license also However reading this about the bumper support pretty much seals the deal of never putting one one my car! You got about as much weight savings from removing the washer fluid! Once again nice wright up Jeff

  13. #53
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Thanks!

    I just spent 30 minutes frogging with the lights -- they do not even remotely line up in the bumper cutouts. The support rod is quite heavy and I have not been able to bend it. Need to get a stand under the car so it can't rock on the lift arms. I have drilled out the mounting holes in the brackets on both the light assembly and bumper support. Closer now, but still not quite right yet. Can someone give me an approximate depth measurement? Put a piece of wood or something (gently) parallel to the floor centered across the front of the opening and measure back to the face of the light.

  14. #54
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wikenberg, Arizona
    Posts
    56

    factory metalic red
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Welcome to Maryland. They do not allow any modifications to cars.

    My old insurance company actually dropped me because I installed a roll cage and harnesses. They said it proves that I race the car. I didn't deny this, and my argument was that insurance coverage stops at the gate of the track regardless, so why is having a cage on the street a problem? So much for 8 years of paying them premiums and only making ONE claim, and that claim wasn't even $1000
    Daaaaang az isnt to bad at least with what ive donw. City cops dont ca eem to mind but when heading up to flagstaff they have a stick up thier butts lol

    Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2

  15. #55
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    We were in Arizona earlier this year. Saw more police in one day there along the highways than I see in 6 months out here.

  16. #56
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wikenberg, Arizona
    Posts
    56

    factory metalic red
    2002 Z28

    Yep most of the timw you can see them chilling up north along highways waiting to bust people for tint, loud exhaust speeding in phoenix they dont care aa much except for maybe speeding

    Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2

  17. #57
    Senior Member kingls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Johnstown,PA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,102

    Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Thanks!

    I just spent 30 minutes frogging with the lights -- they do not even remotely line up in the bumper cutouts. The support rod is quite heavy and I have not been able to bend it. Need to get a stand under the car so it can't rock on the lift arms. I have drilled out the mounting holes in the brackets on both the light assembly and bumper support. Closer now, but still not quite right yet. Can someone give me an approximate depth measurement? Put a piece of wood or something (gently) parallel to the floor centered across the front of the opening and measure back to the face of the light.
    Put a 4' level on floor touching the lowest point on bumper cover centered bubble, level did not touch the bumper above fog light got 4.75" from inside center of light to the closest point of level

  18. #58
    Member SuperSSguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    979

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Welcome to Maryland. They do not allow any modifications to cars.

    My old insurance company actually dropped me because I installed a roll cage and harnesses. They said it proves that I race the car. I didn't deny this, and my argument was that insurance coverage stops at the gate of the track regardless, so why is having a cage on the street a problem? So much for 8 years of paying them premiums and only making ONE claim, and that claim wasn't even $1000
    I was just curious..being in Ca. i have no room to talk about Legality..but here almost any mod you do CAN be illegal depending....Lowering= body of car cannot be lower then the bottom of the rim ( they used to go crazy with this law back in the day,,mainly to harass lowriders..i havent heard of any lowering tickest in years cause everyone including yuppies and grandpas lower their rides) There is a heighth reg too!......tinted side windows arent allowed at all!.......But all Lt`s and exhaust mods are illegal too. The insurance co. should be glad you have a cage thats actually a safety device! Itll do more then the 100 mph airbags that sock you in the face Its bad out here for HP people..didnt know MD was too!

  19. #59
    Member SuperSSguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    979

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    We were in Arizona earlier this year. Saw more police in one day there along the highways than I see in 6 months out here.
    They are looking for illegals and cartel runners runnin drugs through the state! Its bad out west Az is a main hub(one of them) for that kind of activity.

  20. #60
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    Put a 4' level on floor touching the lowest point on bumper cover centered bubble, level did not touch the bumper above fog light got 4.75" from inside center of light to the closest point of level

    Thanks! They appear to be too far forward right now. I may have to notch the bolt holes and move them back. I'll know more when I get a measurement tonight and check it against yours.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Painted Bumper Support Mod
    By Speedy_Gonzales in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 11:05 AM
  2. FS: Burkhart Chassis Fab 9 Housing
    By TN94z in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 09:34 AM
  3. Burkhart Chassis ABS Delete Kit
    By boosted255 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 11:28 AM
  4. Painting Front Bumper Support Camaro
    By ChrisV 02 - Z28 in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 04:05 PM
  5. Plastic Front Bumper Support
    By Tman in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 03:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •