Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build advice...

Bird Rehab Center ThunderChicken's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

Build advice...

I'm wanting to have a nice, sweet lope...not too loud (no LM exhaust!). Got ceramic-coated headers on standby, and possibly a Flowmaster exhaust just to keep her quiet. I'm also going sleekbeak...I want the sleeper effect.

So to that end, I'm looking for build suggestions. She's going to be a daily, so I can't go nuts, but I want her to be able to hold her own in the event I decide to get a wild hair and take her down Bristol, ZMax, or something like that. Looking to put about 440hp to the rear wheels.

So...thoughts? I'm thinking about a 396 or so lift, 275 duration, 112 LSA cam. Talkative but not obnoxious.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

Thinking about a TSP 228R cam...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

In regards to your muffler choice - Magnaflow has better flow then Flowmasters and gives it a better rumble then the rasp that Flowmasters are known for.

The cam stuff not to sure about. I know if your trying to get into the 440hp realm your also going to need to consider heads to go along with the cam.

Over the last year or so I've been asking all sorts of questions on builds and such to help me with ideas and solutions for my build. The most common responses have been -

1 - Suspension - power is only as good as long as it is able to get to the pavement.
    2 - Rear End - 9" or 12 bolt, over 430hp its not if, but when your rear end will go
    3 - Engine - Lid, Headers, ORY, LS6 Intake (or FAST), P&P TB and some other bolt ons are great to do as starter projects and need to be done that will get you some gains up to about 375-390hp. But in order to break into the 400's you will deffinatly need a cam and heads.
    4 - Transmission - A4 need a stall, most I've seen recommended are around the 3800, M6 - 550hp and under = LS7 Clutch Kit, if you are hard core track or going over 550 then Spec or Monster Clutch. You will also need to upgrade the internals for the T56 to like tick Performance does. The syncros get weak over time.

Basically you need to make a plan. Research it and ask questions like you have and then make your decisions. I have a spreed sheet listing what I want, cost and vendors. It helps me.

Oh one more thing. MAF upgrades - no need to change from OEM unless you get above the 500 hp realm.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

the 228r tsp cam from what i hear is awesome i have honestly never heard anything bad about it plus its very streetable too

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i had to look up the sleekbeak mod you're talking about... that is different and pretty cool imo...

If you want the sleeper affect, you'll need a cam that idles smooth like a stocker, the 228 likely isn't going to give you that. You'll also need a very quiet exhaust.

Sleepers look stock and sound stock. Since you are starting with a TA the sleeper kinda goes out the window, everyone knows it's at least an LS1 right off the bat. Debadge it for a real sleeper affect
    Then look into one of the many sleeper cams that idle smooth. Have your exhaust manifolds extrude honed. Forget headers, it has to look like a sleeper with the hood open too
    Anything that can't be seen is fair game, stroke it, port the stock heads, since the casting numbers are visible it's a dead giveaway. Raise compression, gears, converters, etc....that's my idea of a sleeper.

You can go on and on with sleeper stuff, (shhh) you didn't hear it from me

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

She's got Spohn LCAs and weld-in SFCs, so some of the suspension and body is already there. I'll have to see if the BMR Torque Arm is still under her...I think it is. But if not, she's at least got a start already.

The rest I'll have to see about when I can get to the car and the weather warms up. A lot of this also depends on when I can get the '01 sold. That's when it'll allllll roll together.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The TSP 228R cam works well in these cars and a lot of members have that cam.

I would ditch the "sleeper" idea and just get a bad-ass sounding cam, slap some good heads on it (I like AFR), and run cut-outs to boot

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

Love to...cut-outs aren't legal in my county.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderChicken View Post
    Love to...cut-outs aren't legal in my county.
    there not legal where i live either but i still do it

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Like removing the CATS I don't know of any state that they are "legal" to have cutouts on a street car.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

Here's the catch with that, though. I'm soon to be a licensed NC State Inspector. Passing my own car with illegal mods could cost me my license and a couple thousand. BIG no-no.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Here's the catch with that, though. I'm soon to be a licensed NC State Inspector. Passing my own car with illegal mods could cost me my license and a couple thousand. BIG no-no.
    ahh i see so yeah definately a no no

red
    2000 C5

I have a Y2K C5 with all the bolt ons, FAST 90/90, AFR 205 heads, 228R on a 114, 85mm MAF, 3.90 gears with the GHL exhaust and im at 450 RWHP
    430 RWTQ. I like to say its a very middle of the road package the 228R has a lift of .588. The gears make it easy to drive. My goal with the build was 420 RWHP before the FAST and i was 425 RWHP. I added the 90/90 and have
    100's of tuning hours into the car the last 10 years. I dyno'd it again yesterday it was still consistant.

Its really a nice street package
    www.TampaTuning.Com

Meet us from 6p-10p at the Tampa HOOTERS located at 4420 W Gandy Blvd, Tampa. next date: JULY 13th

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
    I have a Y2K C5 with all the bolt ons, FAST 90/90, AFR 205 heads, 228R on a 114, 85mm MAF, 3.90 gears with the GHL exhaust and im at 450 RWHP
    430 RWTQ. I like to say its a very middle of the road package the 228R has a lift of .588. The gears make it easy to drive. My goal with the build was 420 RWHP before the FAST and i was 425 RWHP. I added the 90/90 and have
    100's of tuning hours into the car the last 10 years. I dyno'd it again yesterday it was still consistant.

Its really a nice street package
    im copying this and saving it to a word document lol cause those are the numbers that i want

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Well then you essentially can't touch your car at all because all these mods are considered illegal for street use.
    Any mod that alters the exhaust emissions or violates the noise regulations are illegal.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Well then you essentially can't touch your car at all because all these mods are considered illegal for street use.
    Any mod that alters the exhaust emissions or violates the noise regulations are illegal.
    Nope. NC doesn't do the "sniffer" test anymore. As long as the computer isn't throwing codes and the Emissions equipment is all THERE, it's fine. Modding the motor is fine as long as the car is tuned to handle it. Just can't have cutouts.

Blue
    2007, toyota

Hello,
    If you want the sleeper affect, you'll need agoodyear oil change cam that idles smooth like a stocker, the 228 likely isn't going to give you that. You'll also need a very quiet exhaust.Its my suggestion,don't know what would you do..
    Last edited by Dudley; 12-17-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

cheatr cam for a sleeper

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

thats my 228r through a lm2 112lsa

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Eu8RPq9A8[/ame]
    Last edited by jetaws6; 12-15-2010 at 05:05 AM.

Thread Information