Thread: Bucket Mod Q's

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Bucket Mod Q's

I just heard that if i do the bucket mod that i can't let the tank get below 1/4 fuel left. is this true? could this help me if i'm getting low fuel pressure??

black
    2002 WS6

Nope. I'm not sure what the bucket mod is but I think it only allows the fuel to flow faster into it. Low fuel pressure is cased by a blockage or failing pump/regulator.

what is the bucket mod??

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

You remove the bucket shaped peice of plastic around the fuel pump. The bucket is there to help cool the pump when the fuel level gets low enough where it doesn't cover the pump with sufficient fuel to help cool it off. The only risk your taking is the pump over heating but that doesn't happen very often. The biggest chance is on days where it's very hot outside ie 90+ degrees. If I remember right some years don't even have the bucket. So I'd say don't worry about it. Mine doesn't have it.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

now i know why it's recommended to keep at least a 1/4 and minimum 1/8th of a tank left. I thought it might not get the fuel but it's to keep the pump cooled down.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

you drill hoels into the plastic bucket, so it'll fill faster for us people with much higher hp levels than what the bucket can get filled at by the regulator. the bucket gets filled from two ways. one is a one way valve in the bottom of the bucket. when the level of the tank gets lower than the height of the bucket, the pump gets uncovered and heats up more than normal when tank is full. the fuel pressure regulator has a nozzle that is above the bucket. as the regulator bypasses the fuel, it keeps the bucket filled with gas.

problem with bucket mod is as you make turns with the holes drilled into it, the pump gets uncovered. i have mine drilled. once i get lower than 1/4 tank, i can see my pressure drop in turns. those that autocross, it's not a good idea.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    you drill hoels into the plastic bucket, so it'll fill faster for us people with much higher hp levels than what the bucket can get filled at by the regulator. the bucket gets filled from two ways. one is a one way valve in the bottom of the bucket. when the level of the tank gets lower than the height of the bucket, the pump gets uncovered and heats up more than normal when tank is full. the fuel pressure regulator has a nozzle that is above the bucket. as the regulator bypasses the fuel, it keeps the bucket filled with gas.

problem with bucket mod is as you make turns with the holes drilled into it, the pump gets uncovered. i have mine drilled. once i get lower than 1/4 tank, i can see my pressure drop in turns. those that autocross, it's not a good idea.
    so i probably shouldn't do this mod then... i only have boltons on my T/A. I thought it might help me with my fuel pressure problem.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

no it will not.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Your gonna get two set's of opinions from Fbody guys and GTO guys as we (GTO guys) have a returnless system and "they" have a quasi returnless system.

Thread Information