Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Broken starter mount

This is a discussion on Broken starter mount within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; It isn't all that complex -- just need to get the dimensions correct on the hole spacing and for the ...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It isn't all that complex -- just need to get the dimensions correct on the hole spacing and for the thickness of the starter.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

And make sure he doesn't have a patent
    It's on jackstands.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    almost positive you can't patent something like that.....I asked Sarge about something similar to this some years ago since he knew quite a bit about patents. I forget the reasoning but he said something like this couldn't be patented.

black
    02 HAWK aka the beast

Hope it works out for OP
    02 Black Trans Am Firehawk #1079.Lots bolt ons, NOS
    Just one nasty chicken!!!!!

white
    2001 Z28

I don't see anywhere on the website where it calls out a patent or a patent number. I thought these had to be called out if there was one or if it was pending approval. Even if there was a patent the design could be changed to get around it.
    2001 Camaro Z28 - AFR210 V2 Heads, JPH Cam, Fast 102mm intake, TS 100mm MAF, NW 102 TB, FTP 104mm lid, kooks 1 3/4 Long tubes, custom Y pipe w/dump, BMR LCA,TQ. Arm,PH bar, lca bracket,k member, Upper/Lower A arms, AFCO shocks
    11.20@120MPH
    459 RWHP and 410 RWTQ

2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT

SILVER
    99 CAMARO SS VERT

hey guys just wanted to let everyone know the starter bridge i bought from 2nd sucks racing works really well.
    but if you are doing this in your driveway on jack stands be prepared for a few hours of work its pretty tuff
    getting the block cut off enough for clearance for the bridge i used a dremel and a reciprocating saw.
    the $370 i spent was worth not buying a new block.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Glad to hear it worked. You take any pics?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah...some pics would've been cool to have. Would've helped someone in the future out possibly. How much cutting was involved?

SILVER
    99 CAMARO SS VERT

yeah sorry i should have taken some pics. as far as cutting it was pretty intense i had to cut about a 1/2" wide by 1" tall by 1/2" deep piece out of the block.
    that was the hardest part of the job after that installing the bridge was easy.if you have a buddy with a lift do that because in the driveway on jack stands
    is not much room for cutting.

78 el camino

Hello everyone, Im Steven with 2nd sucks Racing,sorry im not a regular to this forum.
    Thanks Chevyman for the purchase of my bracket and the review of my product.
    I find it odd that some of you guys would openly say my product is easy to make and im charging to much. I built this bracket after a buddy spent 10K on a motor with a fine upstanding shop and his block broke after 3000 miles on it. They wanted another 3000$ to swap his block!
    You say its no problem to make it and nothing to it.
    Yet no one has ever made one or came up with the ideal.
    Well you have no ideal what it takes to make it and quality i put into it.
    I solve problems and help people out.
    I own a Transmission shop and have been fixing T-56 and 4l60e Trans for over 14 yrs.
    It Takes over 3 hours to cut these things out before i can weld it together.
    Thats just labor! I dont think it over priced. Its cheaper than a motor swap and its a permanent fix for the problem!
    Welding the block is NOT a permanent fix! It will break again.
    So i go looking to see what kind of reviews i get and i find this thread.
    How sad that some of you would say openly that you could undercut my price and copy my ideal and give negative thoughts! And you have no need for my product yet.
    No i have not patent it. I copy righted it. It holds up in court better and protects my investment totally.
    I will protect something i have worked hard to engineer and produce.
    patents can be copied and gone around, Copy rights can not.
    Im a 1 man shop that ive run for 30 yrs and i work long hours just to stay open.
    Ask anyone who has ever bought my product and they will tell you im honest and would do anything to help solve a problem they have. Why would someone ask me to do it for free?
    I have solved a world wide problem and yes i spent hours searching to see if anyone else came up with my product to not rob them of there hard work before i went public.
    No one had, so i thought id help those out would could not afford to do a motor swap.
    I invite anyone who thinks it can be made easy to drop by the shop and they can build there own at my shop! Then tell me im charging to much.
    There is a reason i called it the Starter Bridge, Its named after the Golden Gate Bridge!
    Its will always be there and never break!
    I hand cut and weld them one at a time and only after one is ordered do i make them.
    Everyone i have talked to and sold one to has thanked me for helping get there ride up and running. Most have been down for months due to low finances.
    They thought i was fair with the price.
    I have been building good products and take great pride in my work.
    From the customers who have used my product and put there car back one the road. Nothing but good things and nice phone calls from them.
    I thank them. Im happy to help.
    I just have never understood why you would spent 1200$ for a set of headers to make only 20 Hps at most, but wont spend less than 400$ to make sure it will start every time.
    But thats just me.
    I want to thank everyone who used my product and the business you have given me.
    Any questions about my products, please feel free to call me.
    Have a great day.
    Last edited by cammed goat; 05-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Steven -- thank you for the clarification. You have to understand that the members posting in this thread are a bunch of "do-it-yourselfers". All of us have fabbed stuff for our cars and garages. Coming up with original fixes for a problem such as this intrigues all of us and, as you read in this thread, credit was given for the ingenuity of your repair bracket.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Steven, you are passionate about your work and that earns my respect for what you do.
    I found a LS1 with a broken block at the starter and it had this device in there holding the starter in place. I haven't been able to locate who made it or if someone just randomly peiced together junk they had laying around but it did work in this case. Here's some pics.

-------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Steven, you are passionate about your work and that earns my respect for what you do.
    I found a LS1 with a broken block at the starter and it had this device in there holding the starter in place. I haven't been able to locate who made it or if someone just randomly peiced together junk they had laying around but it did work in this case. Here's some pics.
    Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    that's at least a $700 part I mean look at all the hours involved in taking the raw steel and forming it into those pieces then cutting threads into it.

Wow, fella sure is defensive, as if he's been down this road more than once.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Wow, fella sure is defensive, as if he's been down this road more than once.
    most likely a guilty conscience....

That's why I like you Orion, always funny.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    that's at least a $700 part I mean look at all the hours involved in taking the raw steel and forming it into those pieces then cutting threads into it.
    $699. Statistics show pricing ending in a 9 sells more Kind of like $999...wow...under a thousand bucks!!!....that's the majority mentality. Doesn't matter that it's only $1 less.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Just throwing this out there... but I only spent $450 on my stainless longtubes. And they drown out the sound of my engine breaking.

red
    95 Z28

Depending on how many he is selling, he could be working with an outside shop getting the pieces laser cut. That would be inexpensive with the right quantity. However, if this is something he's doing in his garage with say something like a plasma cutter, torch, saw, or other cutting tool, it probably is pretty time consuming. A few hours per part I would guess from start to finish. Unless he has fixtures and jigs made, which would hold the tolerance better. Either way, I still am not a fan of the welds. You can see in the picture Orion posted the weld penetrated through the entire material thickness on the one leg, which is fine, as long as there is a good bond there. I would assume the base material of the welding wire is better than the steel being used; probably A36 or a low-carbon steel.
    Looks like it was handcut with a plasma, and cleaned up with a grinder maybe. I've done a fair amount of fab work with steel ranging from 3/16ths to 3/8ths thick. Cutting it with a plasma isnt too bad, and cleaning up the cuts is easy too. Drilling holes is somewhat tedious, depending on how many stages you use. Making the first mount would be time consuming, but after that they'd go pretty quick, as long as you've documented your critical measurements, and possibly made some jigs (they could be pretty crude and still serve their purpose). And yeah, it's all labor, the steel for those doesnt need to be a great steel. It's so oversized for the job that it shouldnt have any issues. Your costs are maybe 5$ or less in steel, and then just your welding gas, electricity for tools, shop supplies, etc. Even if subsequent brackets took me 3 hours each to make, I see a total price 175-200$ in my opinion. My post is in no way a jab at the guy making them, it's just my opinion as someone who has some fab skills with steel

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Looks like it was handcut with a plasma, and cleaned up with a grinder maybe. I've done a fair amount of fab work with steel ranging from 3/16ths to 3/8ths thick. Cutting it with a plasma isnt too bad, and cleaning up the cuts is easy too. Drilling holes is somewhat tedious, depending on how many stages you use. Making the first mount would be time consuming, but after that they'd go pretty quick, as long as you've documented your critical measurements, and possibly made some jigs (they could be pretty crude and still serve their purpose). And yeah, it's all labor, the steel for those doesnt need to be a great steel. It's so oversized for the job that it shouldnt have any issues. Your costs are maybe 5$ or less in steel, and then just your welding gas, electricity for tools, shop supplies, etc. Even if subsequent brackets took me 3 hours each to make, I see a total price 175-200$ in my opinion. My post is in no way a jab at the guy making them, it's just my opinion as someone who has some fab skills with steel
    to me that sounds about right...... $350 is crack money.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information