Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Broken starter mount

This is a discussion on Broken starter mount within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i like the idea of the bridge can this thing be bought somewhere?...

SILVER
    99 CAMARO SS VERT

i like the idea of the bridge can this thing be bought somewhere?

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

There is a link to the relevant site at the tail end of post 15

And Jon....you are dead right in that this would be a breeze to
    make and the price to buy it is $370... ouch, that is pretty strong
    money for what it is, as ingenious as it may be!
    Last edited by speedyWS6; 01-01-2013 at 04:05 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I agree.....$370 is crack type money for that. No more than $10 in parts there. Can't be that hard to fab it up really. Take some measurements and do some welding. Not everyone can do that though I guess and if that's the last option it's at least an option.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

How about the mounting holes for the brace? Are there already holes up there, or is drilling required? The link shows the piece but no details are provided.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you're gonna make me steal another picture huh? BRB

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I didn't post this the first time because to me these numbers don't look like they line up with the numbers on the bridge so I wasn't sure if he was just showing the mounting points or if they're supposed to line up with the bridge numbers. Anyhow....another stolen pic FTW

SILVER
    99 CAMARO SS VERT

i wish there was a pic showing the starter mounted with bracket still not real clear on how it mounts.

Me neither. I'd have to be under the car and have a close look. Can't comprehend it in my head. Probably easy to make though once you get into it.

Pricey sucker, that's already half way to a new cast iron LQ block which tells you how I'd go about fixing it.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Bracket bolts to the block and sandwiches the outside starter mount. Ingenious... but way overpriced.

SILVER
    99 CAMARO SS VERT

i contacted the guy that makes this starter bridge and after talking with him i think i'm going to buy one.
    yes it's a little pricey but it's cheaper than a new engine.and this is something i can do myself.
    i'll let ya'll know how it works.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like a plan. Interested to see how it works for you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman24 View Post
    i contacted the guy that makes this starter bridge and after talking with him i think i'm going to buy one.
    yes it's a little pricey but it's cheaper than a new engine.and this is something i can do myself.
    i'll let ya'll know how it works.
    I would like to go on record as saying that is way overpriced.....I would try to get him to give you a break on it. Like fbj said.....you're getting close to buying an iron block for that price and remember....this is just to fix your current block. Also....make sure this guy gives a warranty if you go that route. Kind of regretting posting that since he's price gouging so much. He literally has less than $20 in that. Take a picture of that and your car to someone in town and I bet they'd gladly make you one for $100.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I would like to go on record as saying that is way overpriced.....I would try to get him to give you a break on it. Like fbj said.....you're getting close to buying an iron block for that price and remember....this is just to fix your current block. Also....make sure this guy gives a warranty if you go that route. Kind of regretting posting that since he's price gouging so much. He literally has less than $20 in that. Take a picture of that and your car to someone in town and I bet they'd gladly make you one for $100.

Kind of my thought too. Now that I have seen what one looks like, if this ever happens to me I'll be fabbing a bracket out of scrap material. With the starter in hand, it wouldn't take long at all to make one.

I'd turn that hunk into a mailbox and build a new engine from cast iron

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Sounds like that guy knows what he is doing. He is making money from his research and development...which hurts the customers, but what can the cash-strapped customer do? Sounds like he is paying himself for the labor of welding the bridge together to me.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Depending on how many he is selling, he could be working with an outside shop getting the pieces laser cut. That would be inexpensive with the right quantity. However, if this is something he's doing in his garage with say something like a plasma cutter, torch, saw, or other cutting tool, it probably is pretty time consuming. A few hours per part I would guess from start to finish. Unless he has fixtures and jigs made, which would hold the tolerance better. Either way, I still am not a fan of the welds. You can see in the picture Orion posted the weld penetrated through the entire material thickness on the one leg, which is fine, as long as there is a good bond there. I would assume the base material of the welding wire is better than the steel being used; probably A36 or a low-carbon steel.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Agreed.

SILVER
    99 CAMARO SS VERT

yeah your right he is cutting out all this with a torch and saw he said in the future he's getting a water jet which should really bring the cost down.
    but like cammed goat said i'm a cash strapped customer i need the cheapest fix possible. i haven't bought it yet like i said i going to but i simply
    dont have the funds for a new block or motor.

SILVER
    99 CAMARO SS VERT

guys i totally agree this thing is over priced but so far it's the cheapest fix i have found plus i still have to buy a new starter.

- - - Updated - - -

guys i totally agree this thing is over priced but so far it's the cheapest fix i have found plus i still have to buy a new starter.

white
    2001 Z28

So for shits a giggles i had my local machine shop quote this piece based on rough sizes and hole counts. It would be around $75 to have this piece made and much less if it was a larger batch. I am half tempted since i currently have my k member out to draw it up in solidworks and have some made up for future use. It sounds like this guy is out to make a killing out of others misfortune.
    2001 Camaro Z28 - AFR210 V2 Heads, JPH Cam, Fast 102mm intake, TS 100mm MAF, NW 102 TB, FTP 104mm lid, kooks 1 3/4 Long tubes, custom Y pipe w/dump, BMR LCA,TQ. Arm,PH bar, lca bracket,k member, Upper/Lower A arms, AFCO shocks
    11.20@120MPH
    459 RWHP and 410 RWTQ

2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information