BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Broken intake bolt in head. HELP!

Ok, so I’m pretty much an idiot and after telling myself numerous time not to over tighten the intake manifold bolts I did just that and snapped the third from front to back on the passenger side. It is barely flush with the surface if not below so the old welding a nut or wrench is a no go unfortunately. Is this going to be possible to get out without removing the head? Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
    -Jason

Red
    1999 trans am

you could try and cover up anything where metal chips may go and drill a hole in it and use a easyout or drill it out and use a helicoil kit. which you can get at most auto parts store and would be as good as new.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

they also sell reverse drill bits.....might be able to get one to bite onto it enough to start backing it out. That or try an easy out. I've never really had much luck using easy outs but if it works 1 out of 10 times then it paid for itself. Another thing I've done in the past is use a small screwdriver and a hammer. Try to catch the outter edge of the bolt and tap it with a hammer to back it out enough to get some vice grips on it.

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Thanks for the help guys! I actually ended up getting it out without using an easy out. I let it soak in wd-40 over night and most of the day and when I was trying to punch it to start the drilling/easy out process I noticed that it slightly moved (rotated). After seeing this I realized that it wasn’t bottomed out and was basically moving freely within the head and the wd-40 made it pretty lubricated so I took the smallest flat head screwdriver I had and patiently tapped it over and over again, it took over an hour, until I got it enough above the surface to get a good grip on it with some pliers and got the sucker out. I was pretty excited when it came out to say the least since I was preparing my self to having to pull the head and cart it over to a machine shop. Thanks again for the speedy and good advice guys. This is why this is the best LSX site out there!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    they also sell reverse drill bits.....might be able to get one to bite onto it enough to start backing it out. That or try an easy out. I've never really had much luck using easy outs but if it works 1 out of 10 times then it paid for itself. Another thing I've done in the past is use a small screwdriver and a hammer. Try to catch the outter edge of the bolt and tap it with a hammer to back it out enough to get some vice grips on it.
    ahem.....*cough* *cough*

glad you got it out...huge relief huh?

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    ahem.....*cough* *cough*

glad you got it out...huge relief huh?
    thanks Orion!
    HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS... EVERY PUSSY HAS ONE!
    **PHK**

Thread Information