Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter, the best color.
    2001 Camaro SS Drop top

Broke College Kid method for removing your LS1

Deleted
    Last edited by sbss01; 07-15-2009 at 05:44 AM.

Pewter, the best color.
    2001 Camaro SS Drop top

Broke College Kid method for removing your LS1 p.1

Let me tell you a little story about my 2001 SS drop top (And for all you topless haters, Cheerleaders don't brag about their boyfreinds T-tops now do they) A little background first. Yes, I am a broke college kid at the University of Houston in my last year for a finance degree. I started young buying trucks out of galveston for a grand (real pieces) and then starting from the ground up in the school of shade tree DIY, built them into show trucks with bags, cady converts, and a smoother shaves then Meagan Fox's hotbox. Yes I did the occasional rebuild of the vortec 6's and old 4.3L but nothing performance wise until I fell in love with the SS camaro thanks to this video.

So I went out purchased my baby, a 2001 pewter SS camaro with a black top.

We've been through so much, Oil changes, intake installs, Borla exhaust. But she was ran like a dream and was in no need for more power. Until one day I for some god forsaken reason (even though I had a feeling I shouldn't be doing this) let firestone change my oil. 75.2 miles (exactly) later, I was at my house and she was suffering with a sputter and a blinking SES light. fowled spark plug, bad 02? So after 8 new bosch and 4 new 02's she was ready to ride again Until I turned the key. She stuck the first time, so tried again and as it turned over all hell broke loose. Oil everywhere, clanking, shaking and coolant. After half a second the key came out and so did the floor jack. What I was about to experience was unspeakable and would strike fear in any ls1 lovers heart. I instantly grabbed a bottle of Jack and drown myself in a sea of drunken halo trash talking as I knew the next day I would have to empty out the nest egg that would've let me finish off my degree without the hassle of job. So if your not man enough, scroll fast.

"So small" you might say, Until I crawled into the view of the passenger side

After waking up with a bachelor party sized hangover, I drained the accounts and grabbed my phone. Here's a quick tip for anyone on a cash flow problem, network. Everyone has someone like a brother of friend who has something they don't need that you want. After a week of searching I found my transplant. An lS6 long block to mate with my LS6 intake that was donated by a 04 Z06 Corvette. I won't say the price but it was half of what I was expecting to pay and the shop backed the motor. Even came with a cam that could crush Brock Lesnar.

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/z...1/100_0245.jpg

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/z...100_0238-1.jpg

I know it's nitrous or blower cam, but hey, I'll lose a little power now never to have to do this agian.

I also purchased a yank 3200 stall converter as I knew the car would be almost un-drivable with the stock converter. So with all the parts I was going to need to push gas into those vanes, I started on what probably should never be attempted by anyone unless you either have no choice (as i did) or at least wait until is not the middle of F'n summer in Texas. I'll say this, I made so many dumb mistakes because it was so damn hot. Yeah I had a fan that was fine under the car, but 75% is out of the top in the sun. So things you will need.

1.a drive way at a 30degree slant to piss you off for multiple reasons. I was out of AAA tows and didn't know how long It would take so decided to do it at my house. 1st mistake I made

2.The Handsel ls1 power building book and a computer borrowed from a friend that has no morals with a copy of GM Techline ESI

3.A homemade wooden dolly with strong wheels. I had a chain with a tow rope on mine because when you first get the engine out, it is heavy as hell even on wheels and once the car has the jack stands in place, it keeps you from going under the car try to move it. Trust me, it took 2 guys to pull this thing up the driveway.

4."Important" the 2ton cherry picker that you bought on a whim for a $100 bucks that has saved your ass over and over again.

5.A 4X4 and 2 Jack stands

6.2 floor jacks

7.The usual tools and a Impact wrench.(not really needed but it will save your knuckles from mutilation.

8.2 Big ass bolts with at least 8 huge washers, grade A if you don't want to risk your life.

9.The will and determination that would of crushed Christopher Reeves (Yes I know, probably too soon.)

The rest is in the Handsel book so read up. So get past the part to where you think this job will be easy by unhooking this and draining that and you can see why if you have the money, Pay to use a lift for more then a few days, or better yet, pay someone else.

So your on step 36, It's time to feel the burn.

Here begins the Broke College kid book of why you shouldn't try this.

1. Break out the Cherry picker and jacks, jacks stand, 4x4, big ass bolts and washers and super strong dolly. Here its a game of where should the jacks go, how much can a 4x4 hold, and how much can a cherry picker lift. Oh yeah, 2 to 3 fat guys to stand on the back of the cherry picker as it will try and fall forward depending on how long the legs are. We had the cherry picker on the 2 ton setting, one link for the hook (to prevent hitting the hood) and a 4 foot super duty chain that will hold the bolts. Now I didn't take pictures of the dolly but I had 2x4s as shims to keep the engine and transmission stationed on the dollar as it will try and move on you.

2. Now that we have all our tools, in place, put the 2 jacks under the frame, I did mine about 1 1/5 feet back from the fender flap that says (do not place jack here) and either with 2 people or alternating, lift the car up high enough to to slide the dolly under the car.
    Note "I for some reason didn't think put the wheels and tires back after dropping the shock towers but learn from my mistake. It makes it amazingly easier to move by building the dolly up with 2x4's so it can cradle the engine with the wheels on. Something I didn't do until install it back in."
    At this point it should be 3 in the morning and out of smokes, that means it's time to lower the car down onto the dolly and hope it doesn't break. Reason being is you have to drop the strut towers.

3. With the 2 jacks holding the car, take off the wheels and tires. this will allow you drop the car onto the dolly. Lower it done praying the dolly doesn't crack under the weight of the whole car. when the cracking and squeaking stops, you know your there

4. Take your two super strong bolts with huge washers shove them through the strut tower bumper hole located between the two front bolt holes across the top. Bolt that son of bitch down tight to your Olympus size chain leaving only about 8 to ten inches of slack.

5. Were going to cherry pick this bitch up. First call and tell your mom you lover and sorry it's late. Next find someone you really don't care about and tell them to do this. as they lift up with the cherry picker slide under the car and at the speed of light slide your floor jack and position it under the back of the tranny to support it while you take off your cross member. This will keep the stress off as it drop back down. Unbolt the four bolts and take off the cross member for the tranny. Get out and yell obscenities to everyone and everything that led you to have to do this up to this point except the 2 fat guys. And with mechanic like lingo, lower the car and the jack down back and forth until the tranny can rest level with the engine. I had to place shims on the back to keep it level.

Sorry I have no pic's of any of this but it really was the last thing on my mind out the time, sorry guys, I was too pissed that the Raggies closed at 12 and I couldn't smoke for another 3 hours.

Pewter, the best color.
    2001 Camaro SS Drop top

Alright ya'll, I'm trying to post part one but it's to big so now it's going to be a 3 parter, then it has to reviewed, and then washed and dried on a clothes line before it can be poster. Mean while part 2 post like I had 4 post lift in my mansion and the snap on guy as my co post writer. It will be coming As soon as GM's secret team thinks they've pushed me far enough.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

wut

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

huh?

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

eh?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

wtf

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Oooookay?

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I think you need more than 'General Help'.....

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

black
    02 vette vert

its the secret team code

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

no idea

Stock
    2002 Camaro

i figured since this thread was about pulling a motor, i would try and help get it back on topic.................

Last edited by Dr.Crash; 07-15-2009 at 01:22 PM.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    i figured since this thread was about pulling a motor, i would try and help get it back on topic.................

Click for full size

THAT would be the correct broke college kid method

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Err, what?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Alright I think I fixed up this screwy thread so you guys can read it and make some sense of it. Carry on!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I missed something...

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    THAT would be the correct broke college kid method
    Well thats what i am no hidding that

you like my improvised lift?

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    Well thats what i am no hidding that

you like my improvised lift?

That's about the best improvised lift I've ever seen.

My dad's swing lift is broke right now, but man that thing has saved me from some MAJOR headaches. Really made a fuel pump swap so much easier. Oil changes are like 15 minutes tops. Etc. etc.... I'm really going to have to invest some money in that thing to help get it fixed, it has gotten me spoiled

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    That's about the best improvised lift I've ever seen.

My dad's swing lift is broke right now, but man that thing has saved me from some MAJOR headaches. Really made a fuel pump swap so much easier. Oil changes are like 15 minutes tops. Etc. etc.... I'm really going to have to invest some money in that thing to help get it fixed, it has gotten me spoiled
    So i take it you didnt do the trap door? i know i know im a hack
    I have been thinking about getting a two post put on the side yard. im tired of putting the car on jack stands. Yes Sir, you are spoiled

Thread Information