Thread: Braking Issue

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

Braking Issue

Vehicle: 1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I've noticed that when I get my vehicle up to a high speed (80 MPH or Faster) that it has a hard time coming to a complete stop quickly. It almost feels likes my brakes are skipping or not catching with the rotors. The pedal is tight and really doesn't have any play. When I press it all the way to the floor it keeps rolling (not stopping to potential). I don't know if I have a bad caliper, Air in the ABS system, need new brake pads or etc. The pads are only about a year old. The rotors seem in good shape not scored. I havn't touched the fluid since I bought the car about 2 years ago, so that could be a potential problem.
    (I had my buddy take me for a ride in his car and brake fast and it almost comes to a complete stop in no time, where as mine takes longer) Just seeing if anyone had this problem and how they resolved it!!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Sounds like brake fade to me, a symtom of cheap non metalic pads. But what concerns me is you saying the peddle goes to the floor. Your brake peddle should never go to the floor unless a line has broken or there is a caliper leaking badly, OR you are manually bleeding the brakes from the caliper bleed screws.. The brakes skipping is usually an indication of rotor warp. Rotor warp will also effect braking.. You can't visually inspect for rotor warp without special tools that most average folks don't own. You'll need to take it to a shop and have the rotors checked for warping.. It's quite possible your attempting to "stop on a dime" @ very high rates of speed are an atribute to the possible rotor warp.
    They are heavy cars and the use of cheap brake pads can easily over heat the rotors and cause braking issues.. Good luck..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-23-2009 at 03:15 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

Sorry, the pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor but i can press it down pretty far. I am using AutoZone Gold Brakes and standard GM Rotors. I am going to change the rotors all the way around and replace the brakes and see if that makes a difference. I know im making it sound like im trying to stop on a dime but what i mean is that ill get some speed and it just seems like its not stoping / skipping.. like that brakes arn't catching. i think ill change everything including the fluid and see how i make out after that. thanks for all your help, i appreciate it

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by weist View Post
    Sorry, the pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor but i can press it down pretty far. I am using AutoZone Gold Brakes and standard GM Rotors. I am going to change the rotors all the way around and replace the brakes and see if that makes a difference. I know im making it sound like im trying to stop on a dime but what i mean is that ill get some speed and it just seems like its not stoping / skipping.. like that brakes arn't catching. i think ill change everything including the fluid and see how i make out after that. thanks for all your help, i appreciate it
    No prob.. In that case prolly a rotor issue. But check to make sure you don't have a seized caliper too. If you have a caliper that's not working it will put more stress on all the ones that do work. This can also cause rotor warp if not caught/fixed in time.. Good Luck.. Rotors IMHO are'nt that bad price wise. I automaticly replace mine every two years whether or not they need it. But that's just me..

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

Thanks...I appreciate your time and help

What is the best way to check a caliper to see if it is bad??

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Have a buddy help. With the car jacked and safe to work under, take off the wheel and watch the caliper while your buddy pushes on the brake. Don't have to have the car running to check. Also if you don't see anything unusual, unbolt the caliper open the bleeder screw and using a large "C" clamp on the old pad see if the caliper piston will bottom out. If it wont move or is very hard to collapse with the bleeder open, this is a good sign of caliper "hang" and should be replaced.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Two things to check.

First, remove the wheel and the two bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket. Remove the caliper from the rotor, leaving the brake hose attached. See if both slide pins (the two parts that the caliper bolts thread into) slide in and out of the caliper easily. If not, there's at least part of your problem. Remove the slides (may require heatif they are frozen) and either get new pins or thoroughtly re-grease the existing pins with high temp synthetic brake lubricant.

If the pins slide easily, check the pistons next. Using a c-clamp and a thin piece of wood or metal, push the pistons back into the caliper. They should go in smoothly and evenly, without too much force. If they do not want to retract, then the caliper will need to be replaced.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Thumbs up

Vehicle: 1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I've noticed that when I get my vehicle up to a high speed (80 MPH or Faster) that it has a hard time coming to a complete stop quickly. It almost feels likes my brakes are skipping or not catching with the rotors. The pedal is tight and really doesn't have any play. When I press it all the way to the floor it keeps rolling (not stopping to potential). I don't know if I have a bad caliper, Air in the ABS system, need new brake pads or etc. The pads are only about a year old. The rotors seem in good shape not scored. I havn't touched the fluid since I bought the car about 2 years ago, so that could be a potential problem.
    (I had my buddy take me for a ride in his car and brake fast and it almost comes to a complete stop in no time, where as mine takes longer) Just seeing if anyone had this problem and how they resolved it!!
    if they are the stock 9/10 the brake rotors have gone out a better Reason to upgrade in my Book plus there are so many brake packages to choose from +stay far far away from autozone brakes ....

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 402 Guru View Post
    if they are the stock 9/10 the brake rotors have gone out a better Reason to upgrade in my Book plus there are so many brake packages to choose from +stay far far away from autozone brakes ....
    Good call.

Auto parts store brand brakes are all garbage.

Go with OEM AC Delco pads or aftermarket pads such as Hawk or EBC. If you need pads in a pinch, get Wagner, Bendix, or Raybestos as a last resort.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Two things to check.

First, remove the wheel and the two bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket. Remove the caliper from the rotor, leaving the brake hose attached. See if both slide pins (the two parts that the caliper bolts thread into) slide in and out of the caliper easily. If not, there's at least part of your problem. Remove the slides (may require heatif they are frozen) and either get new pins or thoroughtly re-grease the existing pins with high temp synthetic brake lubricant.

If the pins slide easily, check the pistons next. Using a c-clamp and a thin piece of wood or metal, push the pistons back into the caliper. They should go in smoothly and evenly, without too much force. If they do not want to retract, then the caliper will need to be replaced.
    I totally forgot about the pins even though I had a front driver one seize up too.. Was a PITA to get apart too even with heat but it did evenually come apart. Lots of heat and PB blaster worked for mine. Thanks for catching that Wes..

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

I have Vatozone ceramic front pads and they stop as good as OEM.

If the steering wheel doesn't shake or the car vibrate it is not rotors. Even if they are grooved....

It is way more than likely it a caliper. Drive it around and see if one wheel feels hotter than the rest. That wheel will be your problem. I have a temp gun I use.....

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    I have Vatozone ceramic front pads and they stop as good as OEM.

If the steering wheel doesn't shake or the car vibrate it is not rotors. Even if they are grooved....

It is way more than likely it a caliper. Drive it around and see if one wheel feels hotter than the rest. That wheel will be your problem. I have a temp gun I use.....
    How long have you had your ceramics? I tried them once with not so good results.. Just wondering..

Thread Information