Thread: Brakes Squeak

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Brakes Squeak

Just did a brake job, I have a 2001 WS6. I bought some slotted/drilled rotors off ebay, the ones that are talked about in the "good deals" section or whatever its called. I also got a set of ceramic pads, the best ones napa had.
    There is already a squeak, I took it all apart..greased the back of the pads with that brake grease even though they have the shims already there and greased where the pad hits the harware..that comes in the hardware kit, seems like it only made it worse sort of. What is my best bet to end the noise...better pads?

I had a sqeak when i first bought the car used and just switched out the pads and it was good, but these are brand new pads so im stumped.

When I searched...all that came up was grease them and whatnot, there has to be an answer. I read it doesnt matter what way the slots go on slotted rotors..so it shouldnt be that.

Any help would be appreciated, i feel like my cars a POS when it squeaks.

maroon
    01 SS

i feel your pain man, i just got my 99 z28 and it squeks as well.... same embarassment here. I was just about to order some of those slotted rotors and pads hoping to solve the problem.... which set and seller did you use on e-bay? how does the stopping power feel? Sorry no help on the squeking issue. maybte its from suspension or body, my hood spring used to squek on my old TA. had to lube it about every 3 months or it would squeek like crazy goin down the road. esp over bumps.

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I dunno if im allowed to say since they arent a sponsor..so ill PM you that. Stopping seems a little better..but I did it more for looks, I never really lay on the hooks but I guess its niec to have if I need it. Its something w/ the brakes because it didnt squeak before I did it and it only happens when I hit the brakes.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Most any brake/rotor combo will allow a layer of "stuff" to build on the rotors in the first few hundred miles....do a couple of 60mph to 5mph stops...lay into them brakes...do this 2-3 times....usually that will clean that crap off...

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Most any brake/rotor combo will allow a layer of "stuff" to build on the rotors in the first few hundred miles....do a couple of 60mph to 5mph stops...lay into them brakes...do this 2-3 times....usually that will clean that crap off...
    Sure thing boss Ill give it a try tomorrow. I was kinda of laying into them today and it was still there but that was from like 35-0 or so. Ill go faster and stop harder! Ill report back tomorrow.

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Alright, I did like 3-4 60-0 stops...I was impressed how well it stopped actually, but the damn squeak is still there!

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

the squeak is when you slowly/lightly press the brakes? mine does it too. i think it's chalked up with "most cheap sounds" the car makes. kinda like the piston slap, or the ac compressor noise, or whatever else the damn thing does.

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by sgt0704 View Post
    the squeak is when you slowly/lightly press the brakes? mine does it too. i think it's chalked up with "most cheap sounds" the car makes. kinda like the piston slap, or the ac compressor noise, or whatever else the damn thing does.
    Yea..If I push it hard it goes away..but if im riding it to a slow stop it squeaks bad. I dont mind the other noises but this one makes me crazy. I think im gonna open her up again and grease everything for the 2nd time...I cant stand it. It didnt do it before..so it should go away somehow.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

i wouldn't count on it going away. it bugs the fuck outta me too. i bought new pads, had the rotors cut, and it went away for about 2 days.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

Thats a drag--next time get the AC/DELCO from the dealer..more money, but i am on my third set..have drilled and slotted also---NEVER any squeel, and never any brake-dust to speak of...
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

When I bought the car, thats what it had on and they squeaked...so I figured I would change them and the squeak went away. Now since I decided to change the rotors I obviously got new pads for them..and its back. im gonna go see what I can do right now..try cleaning it up and re-greasing it again. Maybe try and sand the pads down a little.

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Well just took it all apart again, wiped all the old grease off and put new grease on. Sanded the pads down alittle bit, took her for a test drive and within like 5 minutes that awful sounds was back. Guess my next step will have to be try different pads..I dont think it is the rotors but I guess its possible?

Silver
    1998 camaro z28

I had a warped rotor, so i changed my car to power slot rotors, and Hp brake pads. You can really tell a diffrence in the stoping feel, especially with their lack of fade. I broke them in like normal, and worked fine for a month. After a month, i started to get those squeals that you have now. Where they start to squeal only when you come to a normal light stop. when you brake hard, the squeal goes away. It's the most annoying thing about my car. I came on here to get some advise, since it's been doing it for about 2 years now, i was going to get ceramic pads instead to stop the squeal. anyone have an opinion on who makes the best ceramic brake pads?

White
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Someone told me once that the better brake pads will squeal, that was just a part of it. I don't know though, the last pads I got were cheap-os from AutoZone and they don't squeak at all. I'm still breaking them in (so to speak) and I haven't had to do too many hard stops on them yet, so maybe the squeak will come in later?

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by 99_natural_beauty View Post
    Someone told me once that the better brake pads will squeal, that was just a part of it. I don't know though, the last pads I got were cheap-os from AutoZone and they don't squeak at all. I'm still breaking them in (so to speak) and I haven't had to do too many hard stops on them yet, so maybe the squeak will come in later?
    i have ceramic ones from autozone and they have squeaked from day 1. I just turn up the radio.

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Since this was my thread I guess ill update it. I put on a set of the Hawk HPS's in the front and rear and got all new hardware (the pad clips, and rubber boots around the pins) and the squeaking hasn't come back ::crosses fingers:: Its been about a month and a half, so far so good.

i bought the advance auto silver pads,never any noise out of them ever.

Black
    98 T/A

I had the same problems with my pads/rotors. Found out that my calipers were binding up and causing the pads to wear unevenly and warped the rotors. I bought the car used and the last person who replaced pads and rotors did not use antisieze on the caliper bracket bolts and sleeves which seized them up. They also used some high end pads and rotors which the receipt read $229 for drilled/slotted rotors and $168 for pads.

After drilling out the old bolts, I replaced the front and rears with Raybestos rotors and pads all around. Rear pads PGD750QS front PGD749QS. They stop and wear excellent! The pads ran $62 and $69. They come with all the shims and hardware. I also sprayed the backs of the pads with disc brake quiet, I think from CNC.

Did notice that changing the calipers made a huge difference as well. I have 18k on the brake job and I just pulled them off to compare used vs. new. 3 mm wear on the pads....rotors look perfect..no grooves, or abnormal wear.

Black
    98 T/A

To continue, if the pads can not release from the rotor IE caliper piston bind and or the caliper bracket sleeves are corroded, you could be wearing the pads prematurely and heating them up by un neessary contact.

When I replaced everything and replaced all the fluid, the incessant squeal went away.

I also used 6 or 7 different pads from semi metallic, ceramic, organic, etc. What I realized is that if you thoroughly clean the calipers, brush clean the bolt holes, lube/anti-seize, replaced all old fluid and checked for proper piston travel, etc....never had a noisy brake problem.

You can never be too clean or thorough (in cleaning) brake components.

I say 30-40k miles max on a set of calipers and always change them out at $29-35 a piece for GM rebuilds. It does make a difference especially with pad and rotor wear, as well as unnecessary noise.

Thread Information