Brake rotors

This is a discussion on Brake rotors within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a 2001 Z-28. Lately it shakes a slightly when braking from high speeds. I decided to get the ...

Black
    2001 Z-28

Brake rotors

I have a 2001 Z-28. Lately it shakes a slightly when braking from high speeds. I decided to get the rotors turned and put new pads on. The rotors are at the minimum thickness so now I am going to get new. What is the best thing out there for the price.
    I don't drive the car much, it only has 30k on it and it is in the garage except on the occasional sunny day.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

well i would say just go with some nice ceramic hawk pads, and any blank rotors. For some better performance, you can pick up some drilled or slotted rotors (i recommend brembo or baer). but drilled/slotted rotors will jack the price a bit.

I currently run brembo drilled rotors, and hawk ceramic pads.

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

ws6 store has some slotted rotors for pretty cheap, never had experience with them, but they seem like a steal for the price...

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

brembo blanks . . . drilled and slotted are for looks only on our cars and can cause cracking. (they do look good tho) hawk ceramic are good.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    brembo blanks . . . drilled and slotted are for looks only on our cars and can cause cracking. (they do look good tho) hawk ceramic are good.
    Drilled and/or Slotted are beneficial under heavy braking, when dissipating heat is important to avoid fade. I have crossdrilled rotors up front, and I can't say I've ever had the brakes fade on me. Can't say the same for other cars I've driven with 4 wheel discs and blank rotors, they start fading under heavy braking.

If you get a good pair of rotors, cracking should not be a problem.

As for pads, Hawks are great. Never tried the ceramics though. Ceramics in general tend to give better life and less dust, but no better stopping ability.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Blanks for rotors.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    the drilled or slotted perform better under heat, and let the gases (created from heavy braking) escape more efficiently.

and it is true that slotted or drilled brakes used to crack more easily than blanks. but this is not true anymore. drilled and slotted brakes have become much better in recent years, and i would recommend to anyone. they WILL NOT crack on you. i use them, i have installed hundreds of sets, and no bad reviews yet. but if you wont be driving heavy, then no need to spend the extra $$ on them.

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

Replace your rotors with anything but stock. Stock rotors are notorious for warping.

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

I have Powerslot Rotors (cross-drilled and slotted) and they are fine alittle bit. I have vibration in the front, so I need to change them. Plus I heard they warp, so maybe that will be the problem I am finding. (about 35k on them), I also am running EBC red-stuff brake pads and they are really great. I think im going to try some EBC cross-drilled/slotted rotors next.

Thread Information