Thread: Brake Rotors

Black
    Pontiac Firebird TransAm

Brake Rotors

Need Help. How do you remove the rear brake rotors? Pontiac Firebird TransAm WS6.
    Last edited by jbmcmillan; 08-05-2006 at 11:18 PM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

take rear tires off. remove brake caliper and bracket. then pull brake rotor off. make sure the e-brake is off. sometimes th ebrake pad for the e-brake makes it somewhat difficult to pull off. here's pic of the caliper bracket bolts to remove.

Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    Pontiac Firebird TransAm

Thanks. I did that, guess I'll have to rap the rotos with a rubber malet.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The rotors have little retainers over the ends of the studs. You have to pull those off. They look like little washers around 2 of the studs. Just use a screwdriver or needle nose pliers and work them off.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    The rotors have little retainers over the ends of the studs. You have to pull those off. They look like little washers around 2 of the studs. Just use a screwdriver or needle nose pliers and work them off.
    These were put on at factory and do not NEED to be replaced..you can if you want though..not many do.

Silver SS / Blue Z06
    1999 SS 2003 Z06

My fronts were stuck like crazy I had to smack the studs all five of them hard a few times with a hammer and use a rag and cro bar to pry on them. Then they just jumped off.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by NHRAMAN View Post
    These were put on at factory and do not NEED to be replaced..you can if you want though..not many do.
    I've never heard of anyone replacing those. I'm wondering if that's what's holding his rotors on though to where he can't get them off.

Silver
    1998 camaro z28

yeah removing the rotors are an easy no frills job on the f-body. I'm not being rude just saying that there must be a weird issue going on here. You should be able to just pull them off once the wheels, caliper, and caliper bracket has been removed.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by zwaldo View Post
    yeah removing the rotors are an easy no frills job on the f-body. I'm not being rude just saying that there must be a weird issue going on here. You should be able to just pull them off once the wheels, caliper, and caliper bracket has been removed.
    Just remember "easy" is different for you versus someone else. I've seen people ask where the oil drain plug is. I'm guessing a brake job wouldn't fall into the "easy" category for them. Actually, I've seen the retainers trip up more than one person. Pretty easy to overlook those if it's your first time doing the job. I've also seen people give up trying to rotate tires because they couldn't get the tire off of the hub due to a little bit of rust holding them together. The best thing those people can do is ask on here and try to get some help because I like to see people fix their own cars and have that feeling of accomplishment. This may indeed be more than just the retainers but at least they're attempting to work on their own car and regardless of the problem someone on here will be able to help them finish it.

Black
    Pontiac Firebird TransAm

Finally I got the rotors off. I smacked them several times with a rubber malet. They were frozen on real good. These were the original rotors from the factory and had never been changed.

I appreciate everyone;s responses. Thank you.

Silver
    1998 camaro z28

see, it was an easy job. just had to use a hammer!

Thread Information