brake pads or wheel bearing?

This is a discussion on brake pads or wheel bearing? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; heylo, so i have a squeeling noise coming from the right side of my car, cant figure out whether its ...

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

brake pads or wheel bearing?

heylo, so i have a squeeling noise coming from the right side of my car, cant figure out whether its the front or rear yet, but sounds like as if my brake pads are low without me pressing on the brakes. i mostly hear it when when driving on the freeway, and its on and off with street driving. i do hear it sometimes when i do press on the brakes, but mostly when im just driving...is this a wheel bearing going bad? thanks for any help!

Bright Red
    1998 Firebird Formula LS1

Could be. I suppose it could be brakes too. But if you're hearing it when your not pushing the brakes, then that would mean that they are dragging. Does the car pull to one side or the other? You will be able to see it on your rotor if the brakes are dragging. It'll destroy the rotor. What do your pads look like? Do they need to be replaced? If they get low, the "squeeler" on the pad could drag all the time....causing what you're describing. Really...anyone here would just be speculating, until you can narrow down where the noise is coming from.

Blackened fire chicken

ahh, ok...didnt think about my brakes dragging. im pretty sure its time for my pads to be replaced...my rotors are pretty messed up too. i have burn marks and cracking on them. i think its coming from the front left tire area

Blackened fire chicken

just did a double check...the drivers side rotor looks worse then the passenger side. so it most likely is my brakes...id rather do my brakes then a wheel bearing, haha...thanks man!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Don't forget to lube the calipar pins with high temperature grease on the front and rear calipars.

If the pins are seized up this WILL cause your brakes to hang, chew up rotors, pull right or left while braking,

sponginess in the brakes, Uneven pad wear, excessive heat, etc, etc..

Bright Red
    1998 Firebird Formula LS1

^^ Yup yup. I forgot to lube mine when I did my brakes and the pass front was dragging. Screwed up a brand new rotor- had to replace it. If the pins have rust on them, I would suggest cleaning them up with a wire wheel first, and then lube them.

I hope you are replacing the bad rotors along with the pads. Especially the one with cracks in it. That wouldn't be good to have a rotor break apart on you....

Blackened fire chicken

yeah, im going to replace the rotors and pads...i was thinking about getting ebc red stuff pads and rotoworks drilled/slotted rotors. i want to get the rpm speed black zinc plated rotors, but they only sell them as a set of 4 and i cant afford to do all my brakes right now.

Thread Information