Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

brake pad/rotor swap, need help asap!

This is a discussion on brake pad/rotor swap, need help asap! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; That's what i was thinking. And a c-clamp? I just use my hands. It's called the Gorilla Method....

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

That's what i was thinking. And a c-clamp? I just use my hands. It's called the Gorilla Method.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Find a big heavy hammer and smack the rotor hard. It'll pop right off
    Well, you and everyone else were right. I was using a rubber mallet trying to pop it from behind the upper right hand side of the rotor with no luck. Turns out giving it a good solid whack on the bottom front popped it loose. Time to make the switch.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Well, since you didn't bite, the gorilla method is when you know you own two of them, can't find a one, and get pissed.

1981 g-Body

^^Well you could of at least painted the caliper red when you had the chance.

Someone last page said it's ok to use heat to get a caliper off. DON'T ever use heat on brakes, even if your gonna though them away anyways. 4lb. hammer.

Another little tip I didn't see mentioned.

Before you put the new rotors on,,,,coat the back sides with anti seeze where they contact your spindle assembly.
    That way next time you do a brake job they won't be stuck on there and won't need to be pounded with a hammer

White
    2001 Z28

<bitch session>

Started working on the rear rotors/brakes tonight and made the unhelpful discovery that the front caliper mounting bolts are 18mm, but the rears are 15mm. I bought 4 new 18mm mounting bolts thinking I'd replace any of the eight bolts on the car that looked worn. All the front bolts were fine, so I left them alone. Now I have four extra 18mm caliper mounting bolts and I need 4 15mm bolts cause the rear ones look terrible. And I'll probably find out tomorrow morning that no one in town has them, so I'll have order them thru the dealer. Hope the car doesn't mind being on jack stands all next week...

</bitch session>

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    and be sure you dont put pads in backwards
    This is obvious, isn't it? Well, it should be, don't you think? But don't laugh, there have been some who actually put them in backwards. And I'll bet there will be more that will do it in the future, especially those hardcore ADD cases.

White
    2001 Z28

Need some ideas. One of the 15mm rear caliper mount bolts is totally rounded off. It's the lower one on the passenger side. I've tried PB blaster and heat, but it doesn't matter because I can't get a socket to lock on to it. The socket just spins. This thing is tough to get at as it is. Any ideas how to get it off?

The Caliper in question

Rounded off bolt

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

There are specialty sockets called twist sockets, that bite into rounded off bolts. see pic below. Otherwise a good pair of Vise grips should work. Use a good quality vise grips (like Vise Grips brand) and not a cheap Chinese pair. And make sure the teeth are nice and sharp. Nothing grips better then a nice, new, sharp visegrips.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You could also try pounding on a 12 point socket a size smaller like 14mm or 9/16"

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    You could also try pounding on a 12 point socket a size smaller like 14mm or 9/16"
    No room to hammer anything, unfortunately. The bolt is facing the inner wheel well. I went out looking for special socket to rip the thing off. I came across these on the internet and bought a set at Sears.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...f/IMG_7490.jpg

They don't work worth a damn. The little cams are held in place by a plastic ring in well of the socket. The ring in the 15mm socket broke the first time I tried to use it. I'm taking it back tomorrow. I'll try to find one of those twist sockets.

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Try Vise Grips yet?
    Got a welder?
    Weld on a new nut on top of the old one?

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacFan View Post
    Try Vise Grips yet?
    Got a welder?
    Weld on a new nut on top of the old one?
    I don't know how I'd ever get enough torque on a pair of vice grips to get that bolt off. I can barely get good grip on an articulating ratchet back there.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

When I need to crank on a set of Vise Grips, I slide a 12" long piece of scrap copper tube over screw handle of the visegrips and use it as a cheaper pipe.
    Twist sockets also work really well.

White
    2001 Z28

Well I finally got the rounded off bolt outta there...by putting everything back together and driving it to the tire shop. They used the same bolt-out socket I bought to remove it. The only difference is that they put the car on a lift and could stand underneath with a breaker bar and put their whole body into it. It came off pretty easily that way versus me trying to work a ratchet inside the wheel well. I asked them to go ahead and break loose the rest of the bolts while they were at it. Cost me $20, and a piece of my manhood. I replaced all the bolts with new ones from the dealer and used a spiral wire brush to clean the rust and dirt out of threads inside the caliper. Shouldn't have this problem again, I hope.

So I guess the lesson is I need a lift for the garage...a very unlikely upgrade.
    Last edited by Thewilldog; 02-05-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Well when you bleed your brakes whenever you do new Steel braided lines, make sure you use a lines wrenches and not regular wrenches. To include on your bleeders if you havnt bled them in awhile. I stripped on of mine and fortunatly enough i got a vise grip to get it off, but need a new bleeder

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I love reading these stories It lets me know that I'm not the only vehicles hate. The last brake job I did for someone had allen head bolts holding the calipers on. The inside of the allen head bolt stripped out. I first try tack welding the allen wrench inside the bolt but when I went to turn the rachet the allen wrench itself would chip off where the tack was. I ended up going around the outside of the bolt and stacking little beads of tack ontop of each other until I built the shoulder up enough to get vice grips on it. That one bolt took me longer to do than the rest of the whole job.

Red
    98 Trans Am

lol I had something like that on an Audi or a Volvo i did brakes on. THey had some wierd Star pattern bolt on there that didnt take a torx or a normal star. it was a pain in the as. Silly germans lol

silver
    99 ws6

what size of big C clamp (in inches) is used to press calipor pistons back in?

Thanks
    cam-LTs-FAST78-Susp.-Rims

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information