Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brake Pad Help Needed

I'm looking at getting a set of Rotor Works rotors and Hawk Brake pads for my car (01 Trans Am WS6)

Hawk has three different sets of front pads (High Performance Street Compound) for my car and tow different sets of front pads.

The fronts are as follows:

.594 Think $64.98 P/N HB119F.594
    .681 Think $91.35 P/N HB217F.681
    .575 Thick $106.83 P/N HB249F.575

The rears:

.540 Thick $79.64 P/N HB112F.540
    .653 Thick $93.09 P/N HB250F.653

Really?? What so many choices?? Why the different thicknesses?

Which ones do I need? If I'm doing just normal "spirited" street driving - should I just go with the cheapest ones??

Thanks!!
    Dan

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    I'm looking at getting a set of Rotor Works rotors and Hawk Brake pads for my car (01 Trans Am WS6)

Hawk has three different sets of front pads (High Performance Street Compound) for my car and tow different sets of front pads.

The fronts are as follows:

.594 Think $64.98 P/N HB119F.594
    .681 Think $91.35 P/N HB217F.681
    .575 Thick $106.83 P/N HB249F.575

The rears:

.540 Thick $79.64 P/N HB112F.540
    .653 Thick $93.09 P/N HB250F.653

Really?? What so many choices?? Why the different thicknesses?

Which ones do I need? If I'm doing just normal "spirited" street driving - should I just go with the cheapest ones??

Thanks!!
    Dan
    These are the pads that I have installed on Sara (2001 Z28).

Thanks Steve. Those are the ones Tire Rack recommends. I'm thinking I'll just go with those and be done with it.

Any feedback on the Rotor Works rotors? They seem to get some pretty decent reviews on the forum here. I'm thinking just the slotted rotors - not drilled.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If just spirited driving, stick with slotted rotors. My opinion.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    If just spirited driving, stick with slotted rotors. My opinion.
    I have had very good performance out of the Baer "Eradaspeed" rotors, they are high quality 2 piece rotors that are drilled and slotted.

A set of front and rears will run you about $685.

An inexpensive add on to the brakes would be a set of Russell SS brake hoses, it will really firm up the brake pedal.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

R1 Concept Rotors have their Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors for 1/2 the cost. I think I paid $400ish for the complete set (front/back) and that price also included the Hawk HPS pads front & back. Zero issues from anyone running them, and there are a ton of people using them.

Blog Entries

Mystic Teal
    1999 Formula WS6

Ac delco organic pads are soft and easy on the rotors. They are cheap and I can say I'm pleased. They are actually called "organic"

98 Formula
    06 duramax

whenever I pad shop I look for either Bendix or Wagner pads. Both are good high quality pads. I too run the R1 concepts slotted/drilled and have on a couple of my vehicles. No issues with any of them.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Another vote for R1 here.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    R1 Concept Rotors have their Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors for 1/2 the cost. I think I paid $400ish for the complete set (front/back) and that price also included the Hawk HPS pads front & back. Zero issues from anyone running them, and there are a ton of people using them.
    Yes, I am sure they are, however it is more of a personal preference, you do get what you pay for (in most cases). The "R1 concept rotors" are "cast" one piece (similar to the stock heavy units), where as the Baer are a cast "2 piece unit", held together with high grade 8 ARP bolts and nuts, when the rotor needs to be replaced you order the rotor, not the hub.

What the "R1" unit offers you is a prettier stock cast rotor with slots and cast dimpled holes.

What you get with the Baer rotors, is a superior product (directionally veined), that is lighter weight, stronger, and in most cases impervious to warping (unless wheel lugs are over torqued or installed incorrectly)

JMHO
    Last edited by SteveC; 01-26-2014 at 05:37 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Yes, I am sure they are, however it is more of a personal preference, you do get what you pay for (in most cases). The "R1 concept rotors" are "cast" one piece (similar to the stock heavy units), where as the Baer are a cast "2 piece unit", held together with high grade 8 ARP bolts and nuts, when the rotor needs to be replaced you order the rotor, not the hub.

What the "R1" unit offers you is a prettier stock cast rotor with slots and cast dimpled holes.

What you get with the Baer rotors, is a superior product (directionally veined), that is lighter weight, stronger, and in most cases impervious to warping (unless wheel lugs are over torqued or installed incorrectly)

JMHO
    So you have to remove (12) bolts each time you replace rotors to remove the rotor from the hub?

How exactly is 2 pieces bolted together stronger than a single cast piece? Or are you talking about the rotor itself as a standalone piece? That I might buy being Baer rotors are probably a little thicker.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I can see running Baer brakes if the car was a dedicated track car, but for someone who does spirited driving, a drilled/slotted one-piece rotor should suffice. I went that route and am quite happy.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I can see running Baer brakes if the car was a dedicated track car, but for someone who does spirited driving, a drilled/slotted one-piece rotor should suffice. I went that route and am quite happy.
    agreed.....and what's the price of those baer's again? I'm not saying R1's are on the same level quality wise as baer.....but at their price point it's tough to beat them. I've got many many stops at the strip on mine with no warping or issues at all. I'd have to look up the date but I'd guess I've had mine on for 6-7 years or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

So you have to remove (12) bolts each time you replace rotors to remove the rotor from the hub?
    If you purchase just the rotor insert you R&R it by removing the 12 bolts. The 2 rotor inserts are $153, it is your rotors that wear down not the hub, OR you can purchase the entire two piece rotor (at additional cost).

I am also under the belief that a one piece cast unit is more susceptible to cracking and warping because it is more brittle (improper English), and can not be manufactured to a closer spec just say as the two piece unit. Are the R1 units "stress relieved" after casting?, the Baer units are.

What I am also trying to say is that my life is worth more than the $645 cost for the brake rotors (and I am not inferring that you don't), when it comes to brakes (opposed to HID headlights (just say)) they are too important to my life and well being when I am tooling down the freeway @ 65+ MPH. I want to know that I have installed a high quality product that will always work the way it is designed to.

JMHO

Please check out the link below:

EradiSpeed - Baer
    Last edited by SteveC; 01-27-2014 at 06:29 AM.

I'm going with slotted (not drilled) rotors from Rotorworks, Got lots of good reviews and the price can't be beat. Should be fine for the way I baby my car - most of the time...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    If you purchase just the rotor insert you R&R it by removing the 12 bolts. The 2 rotor inserts are $153, it is your rotors that wear down not the hub, OR you can purchase the entire two piece rotor (at additional cost).

I am also under the belief that a one piece cast unit is more susceptible to cracking and warping because it is more brittle (improper English), and can not be manufactured to a closer spec just say as the two piece unit. Are the R1 units "stress relieved" after casting?, the Baer units are.

What I am also trying to say is that my life is worth more than the $645 cost for the brake rotors (and I am not inferring that you don't), when it comes to brakes (opposed to HID headlights (just say)) they are too important to my life and well being when I am tooling down the freeway @ 65+ MPH. I want to know that I have installed a high quality product that will always work the way it is designed to.

JMHO

Please check out the link below:

EradiSpeed - Baer
    The R1 Concept premium rotors are made with a stronger iron cast metal (G3500) for overall tension strength. The rotors are cast with a 50/50 center split for better heat distribution. Premiums utilize a black Electro-coating finish applied on the hubs and inner vane structures providing long lasting corrosion protection. They drill their rotors in house using state-of-the-art CNC machines and follow strict procedures and standards such as drilling between each vane structure. This will allow the rotor to retain its structural integrity and overall strength with optimum thermal transfers. They also utilize smaller diameter drill bits for smaller diameter holes and each hole is counter-sink to add strength. Every R1 rotor that comes with slots comes with their exclusive "Diamond Slot design" (45 degree angle end points), to help release trapped debris.

Never seen anyone running these have issues with cracking or a warped rotor either.

I am sure the Baer brakes are great as well.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

The R1 Concept premium rotors are made with a stronger iron cast metal (G3500) for overall tension strength. The rotors are cast with a 50/50 center split for better heat distribution. Premiums utilize a black Electro-coating finish applied on the hubs and inner vane structures providing long lasting corrosion protection. They drill their rotors in house using state-of-the-art CNC machines and follow strict procedures and standards such as drilling between each vane structure. This will allow the rotor to retain its structural integrity and overall strength with optimum thermal transfers. They also utilize smaller diameter drill bits for smaller diameter holes and each hole is counter-sink to add strength. Every R1 rotor that comes with slots comes with their exclusive "Diamond Slot design" (45 degree angle end points), to help release trapped debris.

Never seen anyone running these have issues with cracking or a warped rotor either.

I am sure the Baer brakes are great as well.

It sounds like we both have a quality brake rotor installed on our vehicles

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Another plug for the R1 Concepts and Hawk HPS pads. The only other upgrade on our car was Russell stainless steel braided brake hoses. Made a world of difference in how our car stops.

Hello LS1 Members,

First, I would like to thank you all for all the support and without you guys R1 wouldn't be what we are today. Officially being around for 10+, We strive to improve and provide top notch service to best of our ability. So again Thank you!

As far as comparing Baer 2-Piece Rotors to ANY...ANY Solid 1-Piece Rotor is like comparing Apples to Oranges. 2 Different types of rotors. Everyone already knows that a 2-Piece rotor will be lighter than sold rotor. Nothing to take away from Baer rotors as they are ALSO a great upgrade.

However, You have to give credit where it's due. There's plenty of forum members that can vouch for our products. We're currently not an Official Vendor on this site Yet, but we do plan on being one as soon as I can talk with a MOD/Admin. I don't want to break their rules as I'm not advertising.... however once we get settled I'm more than willing to answer and of course provide great service and prices to you all.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by r1concepts View Post
    Hello LS1 Members,

First, I would like to thank you all for all the support and without you guys R1 wouldn't be what we are today. Officially being around for 10+, We strive to improve and provide top notch service to best of our ability. So again Thank you!

As far as comparing Baer 2-Piece Rotors to ANY...ANY Solid 1-Piece Rotor is like comparing Apples to Oranges. 2 Different types of rotors. Everyone already knows that a 2-Piece rotor will be lighter than sold rotor. Nothing to take away from Baer rotors as they are ALSO a great upgrade.

However, You have to give credit where it's due. There's plenty of forum members that can vouch for our products. We're currently not an Official Vendor on this site Yet, but we do plan on being one as soon as I can talk with a MOD/Admin. I don't want to break their rules as I'm not advertising.... however once we get settled I'm more than willing to answer and of course provide great service and prices to you all.
    .............................and Forum(LS1.com) members will get a substantial discount on orders correct??

Thread Information