Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Noise

Brake Noise

I'm hearing brake noise when braking. It's not a
    high pitched squeal, it sounds like a french horn.(Rubbing) Happens
    at very slow speeds, when I'm braking lightly or when creaping in traffic.
    I just replaced Pads and rotors about a month ago. Hawk pad and Brembo Blank rotors. Any idea what could be causing this?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm not sure what a french horn sounds like. Did you put brake lubricant on the backs of the pads and lube the pins down when you swapped out pads and rotors?

LOL!! that about what it sounds like... Yes I put the lude on the back of the pads and also lude up the pins. Only happens when moving real slow and applying the brakes. Example when I push in the brakes and place the car in drive and release the brakes just a little to start rolling thats when I hear it the most. Also sound like it's coming from the front.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

so it's making the noise after you release the pedal? If that's the case then sounds like a sticking caliper. You're sure you got the pins lubed up real good and got everything back together correctly?

Only when applying the brakes.Once I let go if the brakes it's fine. I will see about getting a video and sound clip.

Do you have an e-mail address? I have two video clips.

I have video clips with the noise coming from the brakes. If someone can help me with this issue I can e-mail the clips to you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ibzrg6@aol.com

you're basically gonna have to take the fronts apart and see what's going on. Make sure the clips are in good that hold the pads and stuff like that. Regrease everything and see what you end up with.

2000 Trans Am

kind of a stupid question, but ever since i installed my slotted and dimpled rotors with new pads, my brakes are loud as shit!! especially when braking. should I have used this "grease" you are talking about and will this fix my problem? Where do i buy the grease at and what exactly do I lube up? thanks for the help, chris
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what do you mean by "loud"? Squealing or just loud in general? Slotted and drilled/dimpled rotors will be a little more aggressive and loud versus stock, at least mine are. You can get brake lube at any autoparts store. I usually put it on the backing plates of the pads, guides, and pins. Anywhere there's metal to metal contact.
    Last edited by 0rion; 11-06-2007 at 08:52 PM.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    what do you mean by "loud"? Squealing or just loud in general? Slodded and drilled/dimpled rotors will be a little more aggressive and loud versus stock, at least mine are. You can get brake lube at any autoparts store. I usually put it on the backing plates of the pads, guides, and pins. Anywhere there's metal to metal contact.
    My wife describes it as a "salt and pepper shaker noise" it is even louder when you apply the brakes and when not applied sounds even more like a salt and pepper shaker.

0rion, E-mail sent. Two clips 5MB total. Let me know if you don;t get it because of the size and I can send them one at a time. Thanks for your help.

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    kind of a stupid question, but ever since i installed my slotted and dimpled rotors with new pads, my brakes are loud as shit!! especially when braking. should I have used this "grease" you are talking about and will this fix my problem? Where do i buy the grease at and what exactly do I lube up? thanks for the help, chris
    I had the same problem. Just installed new rotors and pads 2 weeks ago and had the same noise. You can get the grease at Kragen/Autozone. IMO, any grease will do, but ask someone there to guide you to the right stuff. There is grease especially for this application. Just a little will do, enough to have the pads glide smoothly on the caliper metal spring holders (whatever they're called)....

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 1TA LS1 View Post
    I had the same problem. Just installed new rotors and pads 2 weeks ago and had the same noise. You can get the grease at Kragen/Autozone. IMO, any grease will do, but ask someone there to guide you to the right stuff. There is grease especially for this application. Just a little will do, enough to have the pads glide smoothly on the caliper metal spring holders (whatever they're called)....
    how in the hell is grease there going to help the noise?

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    how in the hell is grease there going to help the noise?
    When you install the pads onto the calipers, it sits between the capliper metal clips. The metal to metal contact of the pads and those clips sometimes make a rough noise when breaking...

In my case, mine were making that excat noise because it need some grease to have the brake pads slide smoother towards the rotors when applying the brakes...

Attached picture... (you apply a little grease to the 2 ends of the pads)

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    what do you mean by "loud"? Squealing or just loud in general? Slotted and drilled/dimpled rotors will be a little more aggressive and loud versus stock, at least mine are. You can get brake lube at any autoparts store. I usually put it on the backing plates of the pads, guides, and pins. Anywhere there's metal to metal contact.
    Just don't put it on the rotor directly ...
    Last edited by 0rion; 11-06-2007 at 08:52 PM. Reason: had to fix my spelling error in my quote :D

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by kraemer94 View Post
    I'm hearing brake noise when braking. It's not a
    high pitched squeal, it sounds like a french horn.(Rubbing) Happens
    at very slow speeds, when I'm braking lightly or when creaping in traffic.
    I just replaced Pads and rotors about a month ago. Hawk pad and Brembo Blank rotors. Any idea what could be causing this?
    I have the exact same problem. I also recently installed Hawk pads with Brembo blanks. I greased the hell out of the back side of the pads and the guide pins too.

I've used the same procedure on every car I've owned, with the same grease, and have not had this noise. I figured it was just the nature of the pads and rotors since I've never used that combo before.

I really don't see the point of taking the brakes apart to simply re-grease everything since I already did that.

Anyone else having this problem with these pads and rotors?

Thanks,
    Marc

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

another reason could be that the pads haven't seated properly yet. had this problem with an old monte carlo ss and it took a couple hundred miles till it just went away one day. i just swapped out all the pads and so i'm in the same boat as the rest of you. i'll give it a while and see what happens. but i did apply the non squeel.

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    another reason could be that the pads haven't seated properly yet.
    I've put about 4K miles on the car since the new brake pad/rotor swap. If they're not seated yet... they're not going to.

nytmare do you have an e-mail address? I would like to send you the video clip I have of the brake noise sound to compare to yours.

Thread Information