Black
    1999 Trans Am

Brake Lights wont work

I have a 99 Trans Am and both brake lights just quit working. I've taken it to Auto Zone and they tried new bulbs and they didnt work. Then we checked the fuses on the drivers side. The fuses were not blown and they were the correct sizes. The bulbs light up when the headlights are turned on, but when I push the brakes only the third brake light lights up. There is a leak in my driver side tail light. Everytime it rains I have to dump water out of the tail light. I cant figure out how water is getting in it because I dont see any cracks or holes. I was thinking it could have shorted something. Any one have this problem before or have any idea how to fix it?

Sideways to da next light redline's Avatar

black
    2000 trans am

I know this may sound fucked up but its the turn signal switch.Gm runs both side lights of the switch and the third right off the foot pedal. Trust me dude been a mechanic for seven years and see it all the time. P.S. if you deside to replace the switch be absoluly shore to disconnect the are bags!!! Oh and never take your car to auto zone to get help for anything.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The turnsignal switch is the most likely answer.The current goes straight from the brake light switch to the 3rd brk light.It splits off through the turn signal switch for the two turn signal/brake lights.As long as there are no bad connections to or from the turn signal switch it'll be the switch itself.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

The turn signals still work does that matter? And also is there anyway you can kinda explain how to change the turnsignal switch? Thanks alot, I'm trying to avoid taking it somewhere and paying to have something fixed that I can do myself, I just bought rims and I'm trying to save money for the damn expensive ass tires. Tires are more than my rims cost and they dont last forever, doesnt make sense to me

Sideways to da next light redline's Avatar

black
    2000 trans am

it dont matter if your signals still work. the only special tool your gonna need is a steering wheel puller. once you get the wheel off its pretty self explanitory. the only real hard part is getting the metal clip off the steering shaft and back on again. just be shore to disconnect the battery and unclip the air bag wire. If i remember right its a yellow and blue clip to the left side of the collumn. If you have any problems just ask your local firestone to print you out a breakdown. They have a program called micthell on demand that shows step by step instructions and makes its real simple.If they charge you they are assholes go somewhere else. good luck bro.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Steering wheel puller and a lock plate compressor both of which can be borrowed from Autozone.The turnsignal switch has a kind of logic module effect that directs the brake light power to the taillights with the ability to blink the signal also.Anyway-my suggestions are based on looking at the wiring diagram and troubleshooting guides in the service manual as well as personal experience-he's right about it probably being the turnsignal switch.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Thanks alot I'm going to see what I can do, I guess check auto zone for the steering wheel puller and lock plate compressor. Where can I buy the signal from? Would any auto store have it?

Thread Information