Gold
    1998 trans am

Brake caliper paint prep?

As the title says, I was wondering what you guys are doing to prep your brake calipers for paint? How is the paint holding up and what kind did you use?

I just ordered some new drilled/slotted rotors and pads and thought it would be a great time to paint the calipers. I figured I would just get the kit that they sell at the auto parts stores... I think its VHT.

Also, I was thinking red. That would go ok with the gold wouldnt it?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mrpontiac80 View Post
    As the title says, I was wondering what you guys are doing to prep your brake calipers for paint? How is the paint holding up and what kind did you use?

I just ordered some new drilled/slotted rotors and pads and thought it would be a great time to paint the calipers. I figured I would just get the kit that they sell at the auto parts stores... I think its VHT.

Also, I was thinking red. That would go ok with the gold wouldnt it?
    As far as preparation I will use brake cleaner 1st and get as much brake dust off. Then use degreaser with a metal wire(soft) brush. Clean it a couple of times until clean. I only did the part that you can see with the wheel on. I used some sand paper and sanded all the areas that are going to be painted.

I degrease it one more time after sanding. let it dry really good and mask all the areas that you don't want overspray. I layed the caliper on top of the rotor so i dont have to remove the hose.

I used the duplicolor caliper paint. I put 5 light coats on it. It looks good. The problem starts when the paint peels off because the wheel hits the paint when its removed or installed. This happens when you go get new tires or balancing.

I think for gold black will be better color but thats my opinion.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    As far as preparation I will use brake cleaner 1st and get as much brake dust off. Then use degreaser with a metal wire(soft) brush. Clean it a couple of times until clean. I only did the part that you can see with the wheel on. I used some sand paper and sanded all the areas that are going to be painted.

I degrease it one more time after sanding. let it dry really good and mask all the areas that you don't want overspray. I layed the caliper on top of the rotor so i dont have to remove the hose.

I used the duplicolor caliper paint. I put 5 light coats on it. It looks good. The problem starts when the paint peels off because the wheel hits the paint when its removed or installed. This happens when you go get new tires or balancing.

^^This.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post

+2, I just did this exactly. Cleaning is a PITA but the better you clean and prep the better the results.

Only difference I did was I hung the caliber with a wire and masked off with newspaper and tape everywhere else. Doing it this way requires you to be patient when painting. You need to let it dry prior to moving to a different section.

Gold
    1998 trans am

Thanks guys!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

With the gold car you might be ok going body color on the caliper. You have a rare color and it looks great.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

ive done mine twice, once each on two different cars.

i just alternated brushing with a soft metal brush, and hosing with brake cleaner. no sanding or anything.

but what i did different was use the brush on kind, 2-3 coats, and its thick, so you can layer it up thick, seemed to work pretty well for me.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

The key usually to high temp spray paint is to use light layers.

Also there is probably a curing process...read the can!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I have a paint prep product I've used to clean surfaces, but I'm sure brake cleaner or starting fluid work the same.

Impounded
    Soaked it with hi pressure sprayer. Simple green with toothbrush and scrubber. Hi pressure spray to rinse. Sandpaper'd. Spray again. Let it try. 3 coats of spray on brake paint from autozone. I had a few chips but its as easy respray the needed spots

Thread Information