Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Brake caliper locking up?

Ill expain......

I was driving my car today on the way home from class (End of a 45 minute drive) And i heard this awful scraping noise coming from the front right. I had no idea what it was and was home so i parked the car and got ready to go to work. When i went to work it did it again, it sounds like someone trying to turn a set of rotors while they are still on the car and then it stops all of a sudden.

So after work i drive it around for a little while. It seems to do it on and off and it does it really badly sometimes when i go to apply the brakes to come to a stop. I drove it around for 30 minutes tonight trying to get it to not stick anymore. (I slammed on the brakes once today and tripped the ABS so i figured it might have clamped down and not fully let go.) I Did this a couple of times then on the 5 minute drive home it hasnt done it at all.

When i go to apply the brakes, when it makes the noise, it only comes from the front right and it sounds just like someone turning a rotor in a shop, itll stay that way for a while and then go away even after the brakes are released.

Any ideas as to a quick fix or simple fix without having to buy a new caliper? Changing brake fluid or anything like that? Pulling the battery possibly so it resets the ABS?

Any suggestions would be great!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

might just be hanging up on the pins....you could take it apart and clean/re-grease the pins and see where that gets you. Easy to do.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    might just be hanging up on the pins....you could take it apart and clean/re-grease the pins and see where that gets you. Easy to do.
    Do you have a guide possibly? Thanks for the suggestion. How much would a new one run as well?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

rockauto has them for ~$70 after the core.......as far as a guide I don't have one on the pc but if you have a haynes or chilton manual removing the caliper will be in there. Getting the pins out is only a matter of 2 more bolts. Better to do it now before they seize up and become a real headache.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

What Orion suggested is most likely the case. Anyone do a service on the car recently? If so there could be other possibilities.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

I changed the brakes October before last. I put it all back together right but i guess ill double check when i rip it off.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

start by cleaning and re greasing the pins 1st. If the problems persist then replace the caliper. if you jack the wheel off the ground, does it rotates freely or is it stuck?

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    start by cleaning and re greasing the pins 1st. If the problems persist then replace the caliper. if you jack the wheel off the ground, does it rotates freely or is it stuck?
    I havent gotten that far yet, however itll spin without grinding driving it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you can also just replace the pins......just a few bucks usually at any parts place. You really won't know much until you tear into it. I would venture to guess that it's going to be a pin issue though. When you did the brakes last time did you grease the pins then? Maybe one of those boots came off and let water and crud get to the pins. They're basically a maintenance item anyhow.

silver
    2000 formula

pin grease ........once a yr.......ask me how i know

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Fixed, Big thanks goes out to Orion for hitting the nail on the head.

Thread Information