Gold
    1998 trans am

brake caliper bracket question

Hey guys, I changed out my brake rotors and pads on all 4 corners of my 98 TA today. No problems except I do have one concern.

Each caliper mounts to a bracket. Each bracket has two fittings with female threads that are kinda spring loaded. They extend with pad wear and should retract when new pads are installed.

On both front caliper brackets, I had one of these fittings on each that was frozen solid. I tried everything I could think of to free them up. So after messing with them for way too long, I finally had to call it a day to finish other stuff and just put everything back together.

I am concerned that this will cause improper wear and needs to be fixed. Needless to say, with each bracket having one fitting extended and the other working as they should, I think its going to sit funny on the rotor. Are these fittings replaceable and if so, how do they remove? I wish I had a picture, but I dont right now. I may try to look at it again tomorrow but wanted some thoughts on this.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Sounds like the slide pins. That is what keeps the caliper floating. If they are frozen then the caliper won't work properly. Try soaking in some penetrating oil. When you get them out regrease with the proper grease.

Gold
    1998 trans am

How do they come out?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

well normally they just pull out of the rubber boot. Since yours are seized I will grab a set of locking pliers and move the pin left and right while pulling back on it. Spray some pb blaster as well. If they don't come out after that then you most likely will need to remove the bracket and apply heat to with a torch and see if it helps.

If the pins don't slide back in easily you will need new pins. Clean everything up and put brake caliper grease on the pins.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I found a seized pin on our car shortly after we purchased it. Like Jay mentioned, I had to get out the fire wrench to break it free. Remove the rubber boot and such and apply gentle heat. Should come out fairly easily once the bracket is warmed up.

After removal, clean the pin on a wire wheel or sand it with emery cloth to remove all corrosion. Clean out the hole as best you can also. If the pin is really pitted you may need to replace it. Apply synthetic caliper grease to the pin before reassembly.

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Pins & seal kits are readily available from your local auto parts store.
    However, you may find that the brackets are not.
    I checked a couple different parts stores, before I finally found that NAPA could get me a new bracket. I had one with a stuck pin that wouldn't come out, ..., at all, ...

The pins & seal kits are relatively inexpensive. But if you find that they are too costly, & wanna pay for the shipping cost, I can share some pins, boots, etc. But no extra brackets.
    Last edited by PontiacFan; 06-08-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Gold
    1998 trans am

Well thanks alot guys. I was pretty sure that those pins were removable, but had no idea that they just pulled out... probably because mine were gunked up.

I went ahead and pulled the wheels and calipers and fought with the pins to remove them and grease them up. They now work great. In fact I just got back from doing the break in procedure on the new pads and rotors. The car performed great!

Thanks again.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Glad you got it fixed. A stuck pin can destroy the pads and/or rotor in a hurry.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

im starting to think that i have a semi partial stuck caliper. The pins slide fine but when i'm driving I car hear this grinding in the front left. The car doesnt pull to any side when I hit the brakes. The told me it is tire noise so Im waiting to replace the fronts and see if i still have it. I have drill slotted rotors with EBC brake pads as well.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    im starting to think that i have a semi partial stuck caliper. The pins slide fine but when i'm driving I car hear this grinding in the front left. The car doesnt pull to any side when I hit the brakes. The told me it is tire noise so Im waiting to replace the fronts and see if i still have it. I have drill slotted rotors with EBC brake pads as well.
    Take the car for a ride and then check the temp of your rims in the center area by hand. If one side is noticeably hotter it is likely dragging.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Take the car for a ride and then check the temp of your rims in the center area by hand. If one side is noticeably hotter it is likely dragging.
    ok thx jeff

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

I love GM but brakes have never been their strong point. Even the C6 and Z06 have had their share of problems.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Soltakr View Post
    I love GM but brakes have never been their strong point. Even the C6 and Z06 have had their share of problems.

Agree. Always seem to have issues with our GM vehicles.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

When I replaced my brakes, I made sure I pulled out the pins and cleaned them. Used some synthetic caliper grease(green in color) and all is well.

Thread Information