Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

brake caliper binding?

Ok so I finished with all the bearings and hubs in the car. I drove about 50 miles and decided to double check everything. Is this normal?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqE9nd59csc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqE9nd59csc[/ame]

The car brakes work fine. But it looks to me that the caliper piston is not retracting all the way? I have slotted/drill rotors with ceramic EBC brake pads. I kinda have this since i own the car but it used to spin more than this. What you guys think?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Anyone? I'm just trying to find out if I got a sticking caliper. thanks

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

if thats a front wheel then, yes its dragging a little bit but not real bad. I can spin mine and it keeps going a lot longer than that

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yes it the front wheel. So you think is a bad caliper? this is happening on both sides. the passenger side spins better. Will this be fix with a caliper repair kit or do I need to buy a caliper? I'm hearing noise again in the front wheel. Is not as bad as it was with the bad hubs. It sounds like grinding /rubbing noise. I will check the hub on Friday again to make sure it didnt crap already. Maybe I should get new calipers. i also heard that this clould be that the brake hose is leaking. Thanks.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 12-08-2010 at 04:22 PM.

you may want to take everything apart and grease everything...make sure nothing is sticking and the bolts are not over tighten

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Dollars to donuts it is simply a dry caliper pin. Remove the caliper and then the caliper bracket. Pull the pins and clean out the holes real good before re-assembling them with synthetic caliper grease. Front disc brakes will almost always have some slight amount of drag.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Dollars to donuts it is simply a dry caliper pin. Remove the caliper and then the caliper bracket. Pull the pins and clean out the holes real good before re-assembling them with synthetic caliper grease. Front disc brakes will almost always have some slight amount of drag.
    The pins were cleaned and greased with the brake grease. I read that if I crack the bleeder open just a bit to see if it releases the pressure on the rotor is an indication of a good caliper. is this true?

The bolts are tight but i don't think they are overtighten. Why will overtighten the caliper bolts will cause this issue? The caliper slides on the pins and the bolts hold the caliper to the pins. I'm just trying to understand that. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 12-09-2010 at 11:25 AM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Brake shoes and pads always "drag" some..

Usually the front will drag a little more with new pads.

Most times it will lesson in a few miles or after pad break in..

In many instances a hung front caliper will cause the wheel to pull to the dirrection of the hung up caliper..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    The pins were cleaned and greased with the brake grease. I read that if I crack the bleeder open just a bit to see if it releases the pressure on the rotor is an indication of a good caliper. is this true?
    How much brake grease did you use?? You have to really pack the pins good with grease or they can still have too much friction in their bores. Regular silicone is not good enough for a high performance brake system, you need the Permatex ceramic brake lubricant for it to hold up to the temps.

Try opening the bleeder like you said. Let some fluid dribble out, and then close it. If the wheel spins freely after that, chances are you have a collapsed, or partially collapsed brake hose on that wheel.

The bolts are tight but i don't think they are overtighten. Why will overtighten the caliper bolts will cause this issue? The caliper slides on the pins and the bolts hold the caliper to the pins. I'm just trying to understand that. Thanks guys.
    Nope. The only thing overtighening the bolts will do is cause them to break off in the pins, it will not cause any performance issues.

Thread Information