Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bolt on help

black
    2001 ws6 trans am

bolt on help

So I finally decided that its time to start moding my car, and i was wondering where to start, im assuming that bolt on's would be the beginning steps...But which ones would be the best to do first?

Pewter
    '00 SS

More experienced mod-ers will chime in but most will say get suspension and rear-end upgraded before anything else.
    Suspension: Lower control arms (Spohn), Drive shaft safety loop, Torque arm (Edlebrock), Strut tower brace, Panhard Bar (BMR)

Under the Hood: Smooth bellows, Lid, Catch can, LT Headers, ORY, AIR/EGR delete, Poly engine/transmission mounts,

Exterior: Painted brake calipers (Red), Halo “Spyder” Headlights w/matching parking/turn signals (Black)

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

i say lid, lt, ory, cat-back, puly, all the suspension, and a frost tune, then your ready to up-grade to h/c/i, 12 bolt, and dyno tune.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Mods that are simple and not too costly include replacing the air lid -- brand doesn't really matter as they all net you approximately the same gain; adding subframe connectors -- you can choose 2 point or 3 point, as well as bolt in or weld in, UMI Performance is highly recommended as their parts are USA made and fit and function is perfect; catback exhaust is also a good first choice as you will enhance the sound of your car and achieve better flow, I am personally a fan of Magnaflow.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02:2776888
    Mods that are simple and not too costly include replacing the air lid -- brand doesn't really matter as they all net you approximately the same gain; adding subframe connectors -- you can choose 2 point or 3 point, as well as bolt in or weld in, UMI Performance is highly recommended as their parts are USA made and fit and function is perfect; catback exhaust is also a good first choice as you will enhance the sound of your car and achieve better flow, I am personally a fan of Magnaflow.
    +1

Long-tube headers would be an excellent bolt-on mod once you get your lid and exhaust system in place.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

My first recommendation is figure out what you can do in Cali. Most of the mods we recommend are seriously frowned upon from the state.

E.G. - Headers and ORY. Cali has extreme environmental laws so you're going to have a hard time passing the emissions test.

Suspension and rear are always a great place to start. But I'll add that if you're not going to do serious performance mods to the engine then you can get by without a new rear if you keep it with mild mods to the cam.

black
    2001 ws6 trans am

yea i check out the laws and i cant have any LT's i have to go with shorties, are shorties even worth it though? so far im thinking a small/medium cam, intake, throttle body, and a catback. With these mods in place would i have to still need to build up the rear or i should be fine? also for suspension what are some simple choices to go with?

Navy Blue Metallic

With suspension you can't go wrong in upgrading it and also the rear fails into this category.

1st thing I'd recommend is a good set of SFC's. 2 pt are good enough for 1/8 or 1/4 mile while 3 point is best for AutoX along with anything else. You can get bolt in and weld them in later or go straight to weld in.

If you plan on lowering the car adjustable LCA's, Torque Arm and PHB are almost a most in order to line up the drive shaft to the correct pinion.

Shorties are just a hair better then stock but you may still be able to use long tubes if you set it up right. Meaning getting a CAT Y pipe and weld in a second set of O2 bungs. That may work in Cali but I would take with your local hot Rods and see if they can help. Unless moving to another state is in your future?

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I agree with Jeff and Chris I just finished all these mods and the PCM left today for Frost and how it runs now I can't wait for the tune! The long tube headers and Magna flow sounds bad ass!! suspension and rear end parts will be next as these parts are a little more pricey and can be added slowly.

black
    2001 ws6 trans am

so now this is what im looking at, and could you guys let me know if it seems good. for the air lid, should i just replace the lid, or get like the cold air package from slp? get the 3 point bolt in subframe connector, and a loudmouth II catback? how does that sound for beginning steps

also,i plan on staying here in cali, so are you sure that with long tubes, a cat y pipe it should pass smog?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Long tube headers relocate the catalytic converters so you won't pass emissions in Cali most likely as they do a visual.

I would just get the standard lid myself. Should cost you around $100.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. Two point SFC's are more than adequate unless you race or have future plans to make big power.

black
    2001 ws6 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Long tube headers relocate the catalytic converters so you won't pass emissions in Cali most likely as they do a visual.

im kind of confused about what your trying to say about long tube headers, it wont pass if i relocate the cat or it will pass? oh ok so simply the lid will be good enough.

Thanks Jeff i guess ill go with the 2 point because i dont plan to make big power for a long time.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Long tube headers and an SLP loudmouth exhaust, Frost tune, SLP lid and Sub frame connectors should set you back about 2k but you will get more performance, about 40 to 50 HP and the sub frame connectors with give you more bite in the corners. Do not put any money into your 10 bolt rear or gears until you blow it up and have to swap for a 12 bolt, 9" or S60.

Pewter
    '00 SS

I tried to look up how the laws are in Texas since I am moving back soon. Where can I find it or does anyone know what I can and cannot have??

Navy Blue Metallic

TX has gotten weird in the last decade. Dallas/FTW area has adopted some of Cali's smog laws when it comes to inspections and some of the other major cities. If you live far enough out you only get a plug in.

Also it is all 50 when it comes to CATS being mandatory. Some states enforce it a little less then others.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 05-21-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Wondering if my LT's and ORY are gonna be an issue.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Long tube headers and an SLP loudmouth exhaust, Frost tune, SLP lid and Sub frame connectors should set you back about 2k but you will get more performance, about 40 to 50 HP and the sub frame connectors with give you more bite in the corners. Do not put any money into your 10 bolt rear or gears until you blow it up and have to swap for a 12 bolt, 9" or S60.
    Don't forget a blackwing or K&N along with a smooth bellow, there are some deals on lid&filter packages on ebay also check wUndercarparts.com for a deal on a Magna Flow #16723 I got mine for $563 freeS/H $770 everywhere else!!! sent them a offer and thay accepted..do some more reading on the loud mouth before you buy! cheap yea but a lot have been changed due to sound!!! Has anyone seen the True H.P. #'s from this type of set up on a stock Ls1 (Headers, Y, Exhaust, Lid, Filter, Bellow, Tune)?????I have been wondering what was gained I was thinking right in line with Keith on this!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by soadkrazy21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post

im kind of confused about what your trying to say about long tube headers, it wont pass if i relocate the cat or it will pass? oh ok so simply the lid will be good enough.

Thanks Jeff i guess ill go with the 2 point because i dont plan to make big power for a long time.
    Will not.

black
    2001 ws6 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    Don't forget a blackwing or K&N along with a smooth bellow, there are some deals on lid&filter packages on ebay also check wUndercarparts.com for a deal on a Magna Flow #16723 I got mine for $563 freeS/H $770 everywhere else!!! sent them a offer and thay accepted..do some more reading on the loud mouth before you buy! cheap yea but a lot have been changed due to sound!!! Has anyone seen the True H.P. #'s from this type of set up on a stock Ls1 (Headers, Y, Exhaust, Lid, Filter, Bellow, Tune)?????I have been wondering what was gained I was thinking right in line with Keith on this!!
    your saying to look into blackwing and k&n lids compared to the slp one? and thanks for letting me know about a smooth bellow will probably invest in one. also your saying that the loudmouth sacrifices performance for the noise, while magnaflow gives you more performance?

Thread Information