Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Body shop can't paint my hood??!!!

This is a discussion on Body shop can't paint my hood??!!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; It sounds like the eBay guy may not have baked the hood like he should. Fiberglass has to be baked/cured. ...

Bird Rehab Center ThunderChicken's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

It sounds like the eBay guy may not have baked the hood like he should. Fiberglass has to be baked/cured.

On another note, if you DO get another hood, stay away from Suncoast if you plan to put an SLP lid on. The SLP lid won't fit with the Suncoast...you have to buy THEIR lid.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderChicken View Post
    It sounds like the eBay guy may not have baked the hood like he should. Fiberglass has to be baked/cured.

On another note, if you DO get another hood, stay away from Suncoast if you plan to put an SLP lid on. The SLP lid won't fit with the Suncoast...you have to buy THEIR lid.
    correct baking is very important...

Black
    1999 Z-28

Sounds like they didn't get all the release agent off the hood ( Poly Vinal acetate). Or if the shop that made the hood used regular wax for the release agent it can be a PITA to get it all off and paint won't stick to it.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderChicken View Post
    That is strange. I have the Suncoast Raptor hood on my 98 formula and I HAD their T/A hood on my 96 T/A (Sold it last year).

Both hoods have a huge hole in them for the ram air box to fit, I'm unsure why the SLP lid would not fit underthere... I had the SLP lid on my 96 with no clearance issues.

I've peronally had great luck with both hoods. My body guy even commented on it being one of the best after market fiber glass hoods he had painted. No extra work on his part at all, according to him.

Guess everyone can have different experiences, also their mold may not be perfect and it would only take an 1/8" to keep something from fitting wrong.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information