SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Body Control Module

Where's my BCM

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

you don't have one that i'm aware of. only corvettes do. unless you are refering to teh black box that records the last five seconds before you crash. then, i've read that's under the center console. if that's not connected, the airbag light comes on as well.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

black
    2002 ss

Should I ask why your trying to find your bcm?

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
    2. Remove the I/P insulator. Refer to Insulator Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) in Instrument Panel, Gauge and Console.
    3. Unsnap the BCM (3) from the HVAC duct bracket (1).
    4. Disconnect the BCM electrical connectors (2).

heres another tidbit :

Programming A New Body Control Module (BCM)

Important: Any new body control module (BCM) will automatically program to the resistance of the key (or interrogator setting) being used at the first ignition ON cycle. This can only be done once for the life of the module.

A new BCM is not programmed. Before the system will function properly it must be programmed to the code that matches the customer's keys.

1. Install the new BCM. Refer to Body Control Module Replacement .
    2. Insert one of the customer's keys into the ignition cylinder and turn it to the on position.
    3. Its good to start the engine at this time to verify system operation. Observe the SECURITY indicator lamp for the following:
    - The indicator lamp lights for approximately 5 seconds and then goes out. This indicates that the BCM is programmed properly.
    - The indicator lamp flashes at a rate of one flash per second until the ignition is off. This indicates that the BCM did not program and the system components, wiring and contacts should be checked for a fault.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I just wanted to know cause I am installing remote start and keyless entry on mine (B4C so it wasn't keyless) and I want to do a couple things my own way rather than the books way, and it'll be a lot easier at the module since I have a wiring diagram and all the wire colors on hand. Thanks alot

Black
    1999 Firebird

Does that mean that a used bcm won't work in a different car? I've tried replacing mine with a used one, the security light comes on and the car won't start.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

you need a different resistor in your key

Black
    1999 Firebird

so which is easier, a new resistor or a new unprogrammed bcm?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

can I ask why you tried to replace it? a new one will cost more. I'd just go out and buy the 15 different value resistors that gm used and try them one by one until you found the one that worked, then just leave it jumped between the vats wires that run from your stering column under the dash to bypass vats altogether. It depends on your preference though. If you wanna do that I can give you better instructions, and a list of the 15 resistor values used, (resistors conly cost like $1 each). If you have access to a key that went to the bcm you put in you can just measure the resistance on it and get a regular key made

Black
    1999 Firebird

why did I try to replace the bcm? well there is a good story that goes with that one. I was told (now this might not be correct info so if not please let me know) that the keyless entry went through the bcm. my keyless entry has never worked. when you hit the unlock/lock button you can hear the click inside the bcm but nothing happens. so I was told that most likely that the connection inside the bcm was bad and it would need to be replaced. just for a little more info, other things in the car that don't work are the dome light, map lights on the mirror, and the light on the gear selector (automatic trans).

Black
    1999 Firebird

Bypassing vats seems to be the way to go (and definately cheaper). So bring on the instructions!

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

http://www.12vp.com/info_resistors.htm

The wires are in a yellow shrink-wrap and are rather small as stated in the instructions. When you go to buy resistors you will need to know 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt, well they are actually 1/8 watt but 1/4 is just fine. When you find the wires under the dash (it is very easy, they come out of the steering column seperate from the rest of the wires and are wrapped as previously stated) strip a short section of each wire, then use the resistor as a jumper between the two. If it starts you used the right resistor, if it doesn't you'll have to wait several minutes before you can try the next resistor. Make sure you unplug the plug on the wires so that the resistor already in your key isn't affecting your results, and you'll need to leave it unplugged for the bypass. Make sure you are using the resistor on the car side of the wires after you unplug it, not the key side. Once you find the right resistor just hardwire it in where you were testing. If you need anything else or if I ommitted anything just ask

Black
    1999 Firebird

thanks for the info. I'll let you know if I it works or not

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

FYI-the body control module does control the keyless entry,dome lights,map lights(in connection w/dome lights op) and some other functions,but not the light in the gear shifter.

Black
    2001 camaro

keyless

I tried programing my car(B4C) with a remote that i got, and after i try the programing procedures the car doesn't repond back by locking then unlocking the doors and opening the hatch like its suppose to. So im wondering if the car wasn't setup for keyless?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

A B4C wouldn't have been. Cops don't get keyless entry, I installed a keyless entry along with my remote starter. Not on the simple side of the installation, it also pops my trunk, rolls my windows up and down, turns on my rear defroster, and even turns my headlights on and off independently with a button on the remote

Black
    2001 camaro

keyless

I tried programing my car(B4C) with a remote that i got, and after i try the programing procedures the car doesn't repond back by locking then unlocking the doors and opening the hatch like its suppose to. So im wondering if the car wasn't setup for keyless?

Black
    2001 camaro

Smile keyless

Thanks a lot, thats what i was thinking but i was sure and it sounded like you whould have the answer for my question thanks a bunch.

Thread Information