Blown ENG SEN fuse, troubleshooting results inside....

This is a discussion on Blown ENG SEN fuse, troubleshooting results inside.... within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Okay so I know what components are on this fuse. I hooked up a DMM from the fuse to ground ...

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Blown ENG SEN fuse, troubleshooting results inside....

Okay so I know what components are on this fuse. I hooked up a DMM from the fuse to ground in "beep" mode. Disconnected the 4 02 sensors and the skip shift solenoid, couldn't get the reverse lockout solenoid connector off but does not matter.

With these disconnected, no short to ground. As soon as I connect anyone of the 4 02 sensors, it's shorted to ground.

Anyone have an idea what would cause this? I can see one bad 02 causing the problem, but this is tied somehow to all four?

Thanks up front.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I just happen to have my shop manual next to my computer with the engine schematics. The ENG SENS fuse runs to junction S104 where it splits to all four (4) of the O2 senders. If there is a short in one, there is then a short in all the way it looks. It is the pink wire that runs to each of the sensors that is on this circuit. If you need more info, post up and let me know.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I just happen to have my shop manual next to my computer with the engine schematics. The ENG SENS fuse runs to junction S104 where it splits to all four (4) of the O2 senders. If there is a short in one, there is then a short in all the way it looks. It is the pink wire that runs to each of the sensors that is on this circuit. If you need more info, post up and let me know.
    Jeff I figured that out after I posted so I have to check connect each 02 sensor one at a time and check resistance through it to ground. I suspect that I will find one that is close to a short while the other three read some finite amount, perhaps 10 ohms or greater.

The continuity test will beep even if there is some low resistance, I wasn't looking at the meter as it was on top of the car. I need another pair of eyes this time!!

Thanks for the support.
    35th Anniversary LE # 167 SLP # 1084

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Let me know what you find.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Let me know what you find.
    Well its not the 02 sensors, one at a time plugged them in and measured 6-7 ohms on each. Disconnected the reverse solenoid and skip-shift solenoid, so all 4 02's and MAF connected. and started the car. Fuse did not blow so it is one of the two solenoids. Over the weekend I will plug in on at a time and see which one blows the fuse then order that part.

Let you know which is the culprit. Hope its the skip-shift, M U C H easier to get to.

Thread Information