Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Blowing my load on MODS, what do you think

This is a discussion on Blowing my load on MODS, what do you think within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Its very hard to tell from the poor quality little pictures every site has, but does the Volant intake system ...

Its very hard to tell from the poor quality little pictures every site has, but does the Volant intake system make ALL 4 rams on the front of a trans am functional or only the top 2. And is it truely a "sealed" system that doesn't allow other air in or out?
    I'd love to see some real pics from someone who has it installed...and I guess I'm also wondering, are those two little filters in there as small as they look, or are they big enough to actually draw some air?

BTW, I hear a lot about high stall torque converters...but I think they are beyond my budget right now. They seem to run about $700 and they aren't easy to install, I'd get charged about another $500 to have that done....its just too much $$$ for me right now with all the other stuff I have going on.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

$125 for a mail order tune that will take care of this setup! http://www.lsxtune.com/shop/product_...roducts_id/631

Don't buy the shift kit until after you get it tuned; you will be quite surprised at the difference that trans tuning makes.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    Its very hard to tell from the poor quality little pictures every site has, but does the Volant intake system make ALL 4 rams on the front of a trans am functional or only the top 2. And is it truely a "sealed" system that doesn't allow other air in or out?
    I'd love to see some real pics from someone who has it installed...and I guess I'm also wondering, are those two little filters in there as small as they look, or are they big enough to actually draw some air?
    yes all four become functional... and yes there is a rubber gasket that seals up nicely to the underside of the hood all along the edge of the box... and also a yes, the filters are bigger than they look...

remind me and ill try to take some pics for you this weekend when im home...

Thanks Suede I'd apreciate some real world looks at it. Volant really isn't very good at showing its F-body cutomers how things under hood will look.

The JAMM kit has some excellent shots that show clearly how things will flow and be sealed...but Volunte just shows a box and it looks to me that there is either a gap between it and the lower two of the 4 "nostrils" or that the lower two simply are blocked by the volant box.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Thanks Suede I'd apreciate some real world looks at it. Volant really isn't very good at showing its F-body cutomers how things under hood will look.

The JAMM kit has some excellent shots that show clearly how things will flow and be sealed...but Volunte just shows a box and it looks to me that there is either a gap between it and the lower two of the 4 "nostrils" or that the lower two simply are blocked by the volant box.
    no all four are open to the box, but like i said remind me sunday, thats when ill be home, and ill go pull it outa the other garage and take some pics for ya...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    You've compared the two? Driven in both with the same mods? Also im talking low output cars < 450 HP
    Guys on Tech have put bolt in ones on there car, yes this made a difference, and later had those welded in. Again showing more improvement. The info is out there.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Guys on Tech have put bolt in ones on there car, yes this made a difference, and later had those welded in. Again showing more improvement. The info is out there.
    Simple theory.... bolts will have some play around their holes allowing flex.... welds are well welds, they dont f'in move if done my someone who knows what they are doing....

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Simple theory.... bolts will have some play around their holes allowing flex.... welds are well welds, they dont f'in move if done my someone who knows what they are doing....
    Thanx, that's what I've been trying to tell him.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Thanx, that's what I've been trying to tell him.
    Chalk one up for the Mechanical Engineer....

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

ok if your going to autoX etc..be careful with the 3 point subframe connectors...make sure that they are legal for certain classes etc

Red
    2002 z28

i got a good deal on bolt on SFC's with them bolted up can i weld em in too..? will this help?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Stormzracing View Post
    i got a good deal on bolt on SFC's with them bolted up can i weld em in too..? will this help?
    Yes you can. Some say that is even better. . . . . . . . .

I would do SFC,255 Walbro Fuel Pump,NX Wet Plate kit,V-6 rear springs from the junkyard, a pair of drag radials,and a tune.

Car would be in the mid to low 11's with less money than what your list consits of.

Thats just me. . . . . . . . . .
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

BTW, I hear a lot about high stall torque converters...but I think they are beyond my budget right now. They seem to run about $700 and they aren't easy to install, I'd get charged about another $500 to have that done....its just too much $$$ for me right now with all the other stuff I have going on.

Last edited by BADASS2000SS; 04-15-2009 at 01:15 AM.
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Thats alot of money! you should just drop it all on a stroker.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I forgot all about the pics.... here ya go.....

Connections....

Top...

Angle....

Filters off....

Filters compared to stock style drop in filter.....

also note that just outa curiousity, i took one of the cone filters and rolled it on top of the flat K&N filter and one revolution of one cone filter is the same distance as the flat filter.... so roughly you have pry a little over 2x the filter area...
    Last edited by suede; 04-06-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Very nice, thanks for the peek.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

i had a picture of the underside of the hood, it showed a line where it buts up to the hood and seals tight....

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Volant is the way to go....

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    Volant is the way to go....
    yea im deffinately a believer...

Red
    2002 z28

thanks thats what ill do then But now im confused about the thing you said with the V-6 springs what does this mod do?
    2002 z28 a4 93,000miles TB Bypass,SLP lid,Berger panel,Whistler mod.soon to come....ss LT's,ORY,cut-out,performabuilt tranny w/3400 stall,and some 3.73's with the TSP228R cam.

It's just word association for me...someone says "running from the cops" and the first thing that comes to me is CAMARO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information