Blinker problems

This is a discussion on Blinker problems within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; As many of you know 4th gen birds have blinker problems when it comes to the front bulbs burning out. ...

Black
    99 Trans Am WS6

Blinker problems

As many of you know 4th gen birds have blinker problems when it comes to the front bulbs burning out. I just replace both sockets and lights about a month ago and one burnt out already which means when I hit the blinker the light just stays on. Is there any bulb i can use that's durable or a better solution for this problem? Thanks

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

Not running the running lights all the time is one way not to burn the sockets up. A lot of guys ride around with the ebrake up one click or they bypass them all together.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Black
    99 Trans Am WS6

Alright thanks. I'll probably just bypass it

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by MasonWS6 View Post
    Alright thanks. I'll probably just bypass it
    People have tried LED's and other bulbs and still have had issues...it's definitely a problem with our cars. I'm dealing with the same issue right now actually. One thing you can do is make sure the housing that the bulb is mounted in is not letting water in. The front corners tend to crack and let water in which still fry the socket and bulb pretty quick. Some guys drill a hole in the bottom of the housing to let the moisture out before it reaches the bulb.

Black
    99 Trans Am WS6

Alright thanks for the info

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

And sometimes the housing cracks above the light, from the heat of the bulb, to let water in. Ask me how I know lol. I've sealed my housing with some RTV, and that's worked ok now the last 5 years. An LED would cut down on the heat, but then you need an electronic flasher. Also, I'm not a fan of the 'spastic' way LEDs light up and turn off. I like the more laid back way conventional bulbs light up and go off. Like they're stoned or something lol. With the electronic flasher, you won't know when their is a bulb failure, since it will flash whenever it's activated, and won't respond to loading.

I do like the looks of amber DRLs, especially on our cars when used with the fogs. I am not a fan of headlights as DRLs, I think that's ghey.

black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

Yep,,definetely a problem with our cars. There's a thread about this somewhere ( a long one ). I described in it what I did to resolve it. Im one who believes it's a heat and moisture problem. There is a plug on the back side of the housing that comes off, I drilled two pensil-sized holes in the bottom, clearcoated the lenses on the out side and used a thicker gasget that auto-tricks.net sells.
    i've had zero problems since i did that. You may need to buy new sockets if yours are fried. Don't forget to use dielectric grease liberally in the socket. I agree with Too Fast,, I love my DRL's. Seems like every common problem these cars have, I've experienced.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This (except we do not wet weather drive our car so no holes). Be sure to utilize dielectric grease in the bulb sockets.

Thread Information