white

black, gray, and blue smoke

ok so the ws6 just rolled 136,XXX i dont have any mods really.. hooker cat back and 373s.. thats it...

i took a spirited drive the other day and got a bit scared.. only at full throttle i look like a diesel with tons of black smoke trailing the whole path behind me and when i came to a stop i had a big cloud of blue smoke rush by me that wreaked of fuel. now oil pressure drops to the halfway point of 0 and 40 at idle.. no hint of either any other time accept at full throttle and its not really ever the same color.. sometimes only a bit of light gray at first and other times its like im shooting a commercial for smog.. the only other time i saw this much smoke come from and ls1 when i saw a guy seamfoam his car..

sorry i know ls1.com crowd alittle more advanced in the tech department.. just looking for quick answer..

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Ring lands went south?

white
    ok t minus what to destruction.. easy mode from here on out???

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

The motor is probably gonna need rebuilt. May as well just do it now if you can afford it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Limp it up to a mechanic and get a compression reading but your probably done with that motor.

Trolling Live Chat

Black
    01 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Ring lands went south?
    That was the problem with mine, it would just smoke all the time (after the engine was running for a few minutes)

You could always pull the spark plugs to see if it's just one cylinder or if it's more. But you deff need a mechanic (or someone else with the knowledge) to look at it.

white
    yeah ill pull it in the shop tomorrow and do a compression test and report back to you thanks... rebuild was not on the list of things to do this year but maybe have to redo the list right... maybe smells like 408 time... hahahahahaah just kidding budget budget budget....my brother said if you dont want it to brake.. then stop driving it... F that... he drives a mini van.... hahahahahaha so what does he know,,, thanks guys check back here tomorrow in the afternoon i will pull plugs and report back....

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

pouring black smoke tells me it's running way rich. First get the compression, leak down tested, then get the rich mixture fixed. Rich mixture can cause black smoke - too much fuel, blue smoke - you're washing the oil off the cylinder walls, lower oil pressure - you're mixing gas with your oil.

white
    compression test showed no sign of major destruction
    cylinders averaged 160 to 180.. which i think i could expect from 136000 miles..

plugs looked a bit dark

the toooooo rich thing maybe, but why all of the sudden..i noticed rpms at idle seem alittle low ... why all of the sudden no codes either.. ?????????????

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Could be exhaust leak, bad 02 sensors, MAF, dirty air filter, etc. - anything that affects how much air the PCM thinks your engine is getting, and therefor how much fuel it is supplying.

Red

Black sooty smoke at WOT, you are running really rich. You should data log with a wideband to see what your AFR is. As for a waft of blue smoke, does it always do it? Or could that have been something you caused? Is that only after a WOT run, or all the time? Since you have good compression, I would wonder if you are either experiencing the unlikely problem of not being able to move the air in the cylinder bock which pushes oil past the rings (not my first choice), or more likely a problem with the PCV sucking a lot of oil into the intake. Do a tune up, clean and inspect all you sensors, and consider replacing your O2's if they have been in for while. If the car runs fine otherwise, than you could just be scaring yourself. Oh, 20psi on a hot engine sounds reasonable for oil pressure at idle.

Thread Information