Thread: birthday toys

silver
    98 ss camaro

birthday toys

So my 1998 ss m6's birthday is next month and I have to smog it this month so won't have to smog for 2 yrs. Right now I have the slp intake system, slp maf(not in the car waiting for parts and tune) and slp exhaust. Parts list for next month need some brand suggestions

1. longtube headers, (with high flow cat and y pipe) thinking about some electronic cutouts before the y turns into one pipe.
    2. shocks and struts mine are shot. (any other parts that go along with this)
    3.bigger tb(not sure what size i believe the slp maf is a 85mm)
    4. ls6 intake manifold
    5. ls7 clutch(not sure if theres a kit and if I should put a lighter flywheel)
    6. I want to purchase a tuner heard hp were good any suggestions and all i've seen is 99 and up so i think i have to change the ecu out for the 99+ and anything else i need to change with it.

I'm gonna have a week off and am going to try to do all with some friends at my house. So any special tools figured be easier to do all at once. Car has 140xxx on it anything else you guys might suggest. Price isn't too important i mean I don't want to brake the bank but putting on a credit card that has no interest for 6 months so I will pay it off by then.
    Last edited by slpcamaro; 07-14-2008 at 02:51 PM.

The Red Reaper 98Z28importslayer's Avatar

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 T-Top A4

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaro View Post
    So my 1998 ss m6's birthday is next month and I have to smog it this month so won't have to smog for 2 yrs. Right now I have the slp intake system, slp maf(not in the car waiting for parts and tune) and slp exhaust. Parts list for next month need some brand suggestions

1. longtube headers, (with high flow cat and y pipe) thinking about some electronic cutouts before the y turns into one pipe.
    2. shocks and struts mine are shot. (any other parts that go along with this)
    3.bigger tb(not sure what size i believe the slp maf is a 85mm)
    4. ls6 intake manifold
    5. ls7 clutch(not sure if theres a kit and if I should put a lighter flywheel)
    6. I want to purchase a tuner heard hp were good any suggestions and all i've seen is 99 and up so i think i have to change the ecu out for the 99+ and anything else i need to change with it.

I'm gonna have a week off and am going to try to do all with some friends at my house. So any special tools figured be easier to do all at once. Car has 140xxx on it anything else you guys might suggest. Price isn't too important i mean I don't want to brake the bank but putting on a credit card that has no interest for 6 months so I will pay it off by then.
    The most popular brand of headers is the pacesetter cermaic coated LT's, you can get those for $370-$400 brand new. If you wanna spend alittle more on headers go with hookers or kooks but i dont think there is much of a diffrence. STAY AWAY from SLP parts there horriable pieces of junk and are way overpriced and everybody on this forum will tell you the same lol

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28importslayer View Post
    The most popular brand of headers is the pacesetter cermaic coated LT's, you can get those for $370-$400 brand new. If you wanna spend alittle more on headers go with hookers or kooks but i dont think there is much of a diffrence. STAY AWAY from SLP parts there horriable pieces of junk and are way overpriced and everybody on this forum will tell you the same lol
    thanks, i've heard a lot of good thing about kooks headers(thinking about american racing headers too) so I think i'm gonna go with those anyone have a link not sure what I should get. I like my slp lid and exhaust i'm afraid the exhaust will be too raspy once headers are on but we'll see and if it's too much i'll have to look for something else.
    Last edited by slpcamaro; 07-16-2008 at 08:56 PM.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

ARH are pretty good from what I have heard Kooks are badass, get them jethot coated and they'll pretty much last forever..

Stocks and struts.. IMO Koni or blistein(sp) are great for the cost or spend big bucks and go with QA1s coil over setup ...
    Are you keeping stock springs on the car? if so won't have a problem with the cutouts where you are talking about, drop the car with Eiback prokit or strano springs and there is a good chance that you will jack up the cutout on the road. If dropping car one cutout before over axle is just enough.

Intake: LS6 is good for the price, if you looking into going bigger TB check out the Fast line up usually find pretty good deals on the forum pages

LS7 clutch: great for the price, but remember this will only handle bout 500 rear horsepower, many places sell the setup LS7 clutch LS2 flywheel ot billet flywheel just look around ... If you know your going to be going more than that soon call Jason at TDP and see what he can do for you get guy with badass prices ( pm if you need the number)

as for the tuner, unless you really now what your doing with it or atleast plan to do alot more to the car don't waste your time with one. For the mods you got listed I really dont think it would be worth it IMO. Can always do mail order tune

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by QKSLVR99 View Post
    ARH are pretty good from what I have heard Kooks are badass, get them jethot coated and they'll pretty much last forever..

Stocks and struts.. IMO Koni or blistein(sp) are great for the cost or spend big bucks and go with QA1s coil over setup ...
    Are you keeping stock springs on the car? if so won't have a problem with the cutouts where you are talking about, drop the car with Eiback prokit or strano springs and there is a good chance that you will jack up the cutout on the road. If dropping car one cutout before over axle is just enough.

Intake: LS6 is good for the price, if you looking into going bigger TB check out the Fast line up usually find pretty good deals on the forum pages

LS7 clutch: great for the price, but remember this will only handle bout 500 rear horsepower, many places sell the setup LS7 clutch LS2 flywheel ot billet flywheel just look around ... If you know your going to be going more than that soon call Jason at TDP and see what he can do for you get guy with badass prices ( pm if you need the number)

as for the tuner, unless you really now what your doing with it or atleast plan to do alot more to the car don't waste your time with one. For the mods you got listed I really dont think it would be worth it IMO. Can always do mail order tune
    thanks for all your help, i'm gonna go with kooks for headers i'm sure of that now, not sure how far i'm going to go with the car as far as power. The shocks and struts not planning on lowering heard too many complants over the ride and I drive my car a lot so I just want a smooth ride. I want the only thing throwing me around is the power not the pot holes. My plan is to get a new camaro and make this one a beast, but I don't want to get a clutch that is too much for the car any suggestions besides the ls7.

As for the tune I know it'll need it i needs a tune as is, I'm willing to learn about the tunes I know theres some people on here that can help. I've called around for dyno tunes like $600+ so for that price I can by one and it'll help me read codes when something goes wrong. I've noticed though that except for the hypertech's they all say for a 99 and up any suggestions I've heard not to go with a handheld and am fine hooking my laptop up to the car if needed.

Thread Information