Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

big problem with header install...NEED HELP FAST!!!

well i just got through putting a set of pacesetters on my buddys 00 z28...we went to the store to get an expansion plug for the egr hole in the intake so he put a rag/shop towel in there...well he forgot about the rag and started the car up and sucked the rag into the intake, etc....it the began to blow piece of the rag out the exhaust and the car was surging and reving itself badly...what should we do?? is anything terribly wrong or could be wrong??? need to get this problem fixed so he can drive his car home and i can get his car out of my shop...please any help AS SOON AS POSSIBLE is greatly appreciated

thanks
    bubba

99 Firebird Formula

I would think it should chew it up and spit it out without problems...

On another note are you ever going to send me $15 for the paypal fees I had to eat when you refunded my money incorrectly (when you decided not to sell me the pacesetters?).

Just a thought.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

After you put the fire out you need to send her the money. Give him a fire extinguisher and send him on his way...

"On another note are you ever going to send me $15 for the paypal fees I had to eat when you refunded my money incorrectly (when you decided not to sell me the pacesetters?)."

first off that was not my deal...those were my buddies headers and his deal...i was the middle man and if you are that worried about it pm me and ill give you his contact info...

secondly what should i do...ive had several people post that theheads and intake MUST come off so if it will clear itself up i dont want to go through the hassle of pulling the heads and intake mainly for cost reasons on my buddys side...

bubba

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

How big a rag was this?After the engine chews on this for a while it'll wind up clogging up the converters and catching on fire.If no more convertors then it'll stick in the mufflers and catch on fire. But more importantly --get the girl back her $15 for chrissake. If you were just the middle man then don't be the middle man no more-lesson learned.But help her get her money back-she shouldn't have to be SO worried about it-fair is fair.If $15 doesn't mean so much to you then send us all $15 for nothing. I'll give you my contact info......

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I remember one of the cars mags that posted pics of a rag they left in an engine. Not sure if they're experience means the same fate for you, but they had a bent valve.

If you think it was small enough it already passed through, it should burn up in the exhaust. But if its a full sized shop towel, I'm guessing that its still in there somewhere.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    ...get the girl back her $15 for chrissake. If you were just the middle man then don't be the middle man no more-lesson learned.But help her get her money back-she shouldn't have to be SO worried about it-fair is fair.If $15 doesn't mean so much to you then send us all $15 for nothing. I'll give you my contact info......

first off this has nothing to do with the topic of the thread...first off this shouldve been handled through PM...secondly why wait this long (almost two years) and try to demand a refund... ...and on top of that you never contacted me before...secondly i returned to you the amount you sent to me...im sorry if it took paypal fees but they took them out on me too...again if it means that much to you PM me and ill give you my buddys contact info and you can settle it with him and not E-bash me...sound good....now back to the topics if at all possible...thanks for the help so far and keep the thoughts coming

thanks
    bubba

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Rag in the intake is a bad bad thing...in fairy tales it blows out the exhaust...in the real world it clogs your cats or worse yet....lunches your valves...seriously....pull that shit off until you get all of it out.....

as of right now its straight long tubes...im thinking of pulling just the intake and then the valve covers and checking that out...i seriously am gonna try everything in my power so i dont have to take the heads off but we'll see

thanks
    bubba

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Rag in the intake is a bad bad thing...in fairy tales it blows out the exhaust...in the real world it clogs your cats or worse yet....lunches your valves...seriously....pull that shit off until you get all of it out.....
    I was thinking if they used pacesetter longtubes, they might have gone with an ORY as well.

ORY is sitting in the floor....

Red
    2000 SS

pull the intake

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    I was thinking if they used pacesetter longtubes, they might have gone with an ORY as well.
    Well now that is very keen....I didnt think about that....but I see his next post sorta puts the kjabosh on that....oh well...the problem is the rag will cling/grab ahold of anything....and it would take a tremendous amount of pressure to get it through the system cleanly.....and what a chance one is taking that it doesnt cause any problems on its way through....he needs to pull the intake/valve covers at the minimum....good observation/thought though kid You should be a mechanic

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

A big shop towel would bend a valve or pushrod before it eats it IMHO.A paper shop towel might push through. And I'll stay out of the $15 debate.................

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Werd^
    And I do feel for this guy.....what a PITA...but better safe than replacing a top end...

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Werd^
    And I do feel for this guy.....what a PITA...but better safe than replacing a top end...
    ....or perhaps an excuse to get better heads while they're at it

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

what a horror story somethin to spook the kids at night with during jr. gear head slumber parties

yeh this is a big prob for my buddy....

keliente: you may have met my buddy...we are all from TFB and his name is seth with a silver 00z with chrome 10spoke ss wheels/factory GFX....anyways he is on a tight budget and these headers were his christmas present...hes a full time student so not much time for a job so im trying to hit this nail onthe head without doing something un-necessary...im getting so many different suggestions but i was hoping this has happend to someone before and see how they concluded....im gonna wait a couple days and basically make a decision from there...thanks guys for the sugg. so far

-bubba

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I'm thinking the gaskets for a tear down and inspection are far cheaper than replacing several valves if left to chance. If you ran it with open headers, and the majority of the towel never came out, I'm guessing it's probably hung in 1-2 intake valves, possibly far enough of the seat to damage a piston.

As suggested, at least pull the valve covers and look to see if any od the valves are hung open. If they are, you'll probably need to take the intake off to remove what's still in there, then check the operation of any affected valves to see if they are sticking.

Otherwise, just running the engine or sending him on his way seems to guarantee a visit to the machine shop for some headwork, new valves, ???

Good luck!

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

I'm thinking the valve doesn't open enough to suck an entire shop rag through and if you ran it any length of time, the valves may aready need funeral services...however, as much of a PITA it may be, that intake has to come off ASAP

Thread Information