Tan
    2001 - Camaro SS

Big brakes for rear

Just looking for some input on rear brakes. I upgraded front brakes a year ago to baer 13" brake kit. My rear brakes keep pulsating and I would like to upgrade the rear brakes. Willwood seem to be the only player.y problem is I don't want to different brands of brakes on car...

Any suggestions
    thanks
    T
    01 Camaro SS - Subframe connectors, Moser 12/3:73, LS1 Edit, Flowmaster Catback, Water Bypass, 160 stat, SLP LID, Short throw shifter, Vortec S/C, Dynatech Headers, DVD/Nav System, HID, Baer 13" front brakes, Spec 2+Clutch
    08 ISF - typhone intake, saving for Artisan Twin turbo kit

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 01CalgarySS View Post
    Just looking for some input on rear brakes. I upgraded front brakes a year ago to baer 13" brake kit. My rear brakes keep pulsating and I would like to upgrade the rear brakes. Willwood seem to be the only player.y problem is I don't want to different brands of brakes on car...

Any suggestions
    thanks
    T
    I honestly don't think a rear brake upgrade is going to help your braking performance all that much. From the factory, 4th gens are biased towards the rear, so by doing the Baer upgrade in the front, you probably compensated for most of that bias.

The rears of 4th gens aren't all that heavy, so the stock 12" vented rotors with PBR aluminum calipers tend to be more than adequate. I've never seen anyone overheat the rear brakes on these cars on the street, and I've seen them endure some serious abuse (my car included). They are more than capable of providing repeated fade free stops and have more than enough power to lock the rear wheels if not for ABS intervention.

My suggestion would be to invest in some quality rotors, such as Brembo, and some good performance pads, such as Hawk or EBC. I think that will do much more for you than a Wilwood kit will do in terms of rear braking.

I can see that you want to match the rears to the front, but I think the visual aspect very much outweighs the performance gains. I have CTS-V front calipers, but if I was to do rear ones, it would really be much more for the effect than for the performance.

Tan
    2001 - Camaro SS

Good Info thanks. I just find that gm builds undersized rotors for the most
    part..

I was thinking of upgrading rotors... To a brembo or baer but feel they will warp. I would agree that rears shouldn't warp with stock power but again running more power I feel this will warp rears again.

I know I'm hard on brakes but still.

T

Tan
    2001 - Camaro SS

part..

I was thinking of upgrading rotors... To a brembo or baer but feel they will warp. I would agree that rears shouldn't warp with stock power but again running more power I feel this will warp rears again.

T

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 01CalgarySS View Post
    part..

T
    No prob. I'm extremely hard on brakes as well, and my stock rear pads/rotors have been fine. No warpage even after repeated 80MPH+ full out stops.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't bother doing anything to then rear brakes unless you are doing it for aesthetic purposes (to match the front).

Thread Information