Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

better gas and performance

This is a discussion on better gas and performance within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Getting 20-21 in town with A/C on. 3800 engine rebuilt only 10,000 miles...

white
    1998 Camaro

Gas Mileage

Getting 20-21 in town with A/C on. 3800 engine rebuilt only 10,000 miles

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Original poster - If you ever plan on getting Long tube headers, I suggest looking on Ls1sounds.com and listening to people's cars who have the SLP loudmouth. It will be very loud and very raspy at WOT. Just make sure a Loudmouth is what you want before you buy it and install it. Also, while on ls1sounds.com.... listen to some Magnaflow, Corsa, even some truedual setups. But, from what I gather, TD's might not be in your mod list.

Ether way, do some researching before buying ANY mod. There's lots of opinion out there.... find your own opinion and buy accordingly.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

And, if I had to suggest a catback... not a TD setup... I would say Magnaflow. They have an awesome growl at idle, and sound great at WOT. Also will sound great when your ready for headers.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Original poster - If you ever plan on getting Long tube headers, I suggest looking on Ls1sounds.com and listening to people's cars who have the SLP loudmouth. It will be very loud and very raspy at WOT. Just make sure a Loudmouth is what you want before you buy it and install it. Also, while on ls1sounds.com.... listen to some Magnaflow, Corsa, even some truedual setups. But, from what I gather, TD's might not be in your mod list.

Ether way, do some researching before buying ANY mod. There's lots of opinion out there.... find your own opinion and buy accordingly.
    this is why some people go with the loud mouth2 but I dont think headers should be on your list for better gas you'll feel the power and stomp on it everywhere.

chamealin green
    1999 trans am

yeah ive been doing some research to find out what i want to do i know i want better air gas mixture and i do want it to be louder than stock its only loud when i get on it wich isnt bad i just want it to rumble like my dads 02 formula and my old 89 formula

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 99ta/cg View Post
    yeah ive been doing some research to find out what i want to do i know i want better air gas mixture and i do want it to be louder than stock its only loud when i get on it wich isnt bad i just want it to rumble like my dads 02 formula and my old 89 formula
    If you want to rumble and your only going to do a catback go with slp loudmouth youll be happy and you can always change the muffler to the loudmouth2 later on or put a cut on there that will give it a real nice rumble don't think it will help the mpg though.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

SLP parts suck the anus. Get off their nuts.

Pewter
    02 Z28

if you want to get better MPG get this parts
    1- underdrive pulley
    2- Lid
    3- Headers + ORY
    4- Catback
    5- Port and polish throttle body + bypass the coolant hose
    6- make the car lighter
    7- get a tune after you do the headers

chamealin green
    1999 trans am

all ive done so far is bought a k&n filter wich made my rpms drop lower and i just put in lucas fuel injector cleaner in it and so far seems like my mpg has improved a little bit and im not on any ones nuts

white
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Empatho View Post
    1- underdrive pulley
    2- Lid
    3- Headers + ORY
    4- Catback
    6- make the car lighter
    Please explain. what is #1, #4?

Thanks

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Empatho View Post
    1- underdrive pulley
    2- Lid
    3- Headers + ORY
    4- Catback
    6- make the car lighter
    +1 on this but the tune is the most important part to make it all work. The only problem is that with a nicer sounding exhaust and the extra hp you want to get on it all the time thus negating the gains of a more efficient running engine on mileage but when cruising on the highway the gains in mpg are pretty good. See my setup in the signature.

Quote Originally Posted by gamester View Post
    Please explain. what is #1, #4?

Thanks
    under drive pulley is a smaller diameter crank pulley that when installed it causes all the accessories to spin slower and thus diminishing their parasitic effect on the engine. In short they free up a few pony's.

catback is the back half of the exhaust system in our cars it includes anything after the Y-pipe.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

white
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_bluebird View Post
    +1 on this but the tune is the most important part to make it all work. The only problem is that with a nicer sounding exhaust and the extra hp you want to get on it all the time thus negating the gains of a more efficient running engine on mileage but when cruising on the highway the gains in mpg are pretty good. See my setup in the signature.

under drive pulley is a smaller diameter crank pulley that when installed it causes all the accessories to spin slower and thus diminishing their parasitic effect on the engine. In short they free up a few pony's.

catback is the back half of the exhaust system in our cars it includes anything after the Y-pipe.
    Thanks...I wish I could do some of these things, but I only have a plain jane camaro with a 3800 engine. Probably not much I could do to increase power and save gas.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

You can do a LOT to a 3800. Im sure there are places where you can buy everything listed in an earlier post. Ive heard UD pullies (on tech) will increase highway mpg by 3.

white
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    You can do a LOT to a 3800. Im sure there are places where you can buy everything listed in an earlier post. Ive heard UD pullies (on tech) will increase highway mpg by 3.
    Thanks I will have to look into these items. The pulley is probably easy to install, not sure if a regular muffler shop will know about the modifications that are described, but I can ask them.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information