Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Best place to buy a WS6 hood

This is a discussion on Best place to buy a WS6 hood within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I checked for hoods but the warnings are scary where can I find a hood that would fit right and ...

  1. #1
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    Best place to buy a WS6 hood

    I checked for hoods but the warnings are scary where can I find a hood that would fit right and not cost a fortune

  2. #2
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    I checked for hoods but the warnings are scary where can I find a hood that would fit right and not cost a fortune
    I'm not 100% up on T/A hoods, but if it's anything like the Camaro, OEM is the way to go. Just start searching craigslist and calling around to scrap yards.

  3. #3
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    i have a TruFiber hood on mine (had to replace thanks to a dumbass driver who cant back out of a parking spot!) but fit great. looks nearly identical (the only differences...is the intake grille (some nasty mesh stuff) and the Ram Air inletsdont have a little indention around them. other than that...the differences are blind to the untrained eye

  4. #4
    Member jetaws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Fallston, Maryland
    Posts
    576

    Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

    Fortune and ws6 hood go hand and hand if you are looking for oem

  5. #5
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    i have a TruFiber hood on mine (had to replace thanks to a dumbass driver who cant back out of a parking spot!) but fit great. looks nearly identical (the only differences...is the intake grille (some nasty mesh stuff) and the Ram Air inletsdont have a little indention around them. other than that...the differences are blind to the untrained eye
    Thanks a lot great price I'm in Canada I wonder about shipping ??? I will email and find out contemplating the WS9 hood since it isn't a WS6 to start with maybe it would look cool and a little different I really appreciate the feedback My black baby would look great I assume it comes primer grey?

  6. #6
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    i have a VFN hood and it fits very well

  7. #7
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    Thanks a lot great price I'm in Canada I wonder about shipping ??? I will email and find out contemplating the WS9 hood since it isn't a WS6 to start with maybe it would look cool and a little different I really appreciate the feedback My black baby would look great I assume it comes primer grey?
    its white actually...but ready for paint reguardless... they have the ws9 with the heat extractors and the "ws6 lookalike" but. they both look beast IMO. ill get a pic up this wekend hopefully...
    i love mine. i just hope it holds up throughout the years...i figure that itll need repainting ina few years tho
    alos it was like 150 for shipping i believe..

  8. #8
    Member TA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    863

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    i have a TruFiber hood on mine (had to replace thanks to a dumbass driver who cant back out of a parking spot!) but fit great. looks nearly identical (the only differences...is the intake grille (some nasty mesh stuff) and the Ram Air inletsdont have a little indention around them. other than that...the differences are blind to the untrained eye
    I also have a Trufiber and mine fit great. it just needed a little finishing sanding. they do have a stainless mesh grill in the front and back under the "runners" for heat extraction. But 98Rk on here got one and he told me his looked like someone laid a 2x4 across it when it was being made. i guess its just luck of the draw. And i guess since you got yours theyve added the indents around the front.

  9. #9
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    on the VFN they use factory grills

  10. #10
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    i have a VFN hood and it fits very well
    sell it to him.

  11. #11
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    sell it to him.
    now your thinking with your dipstick

  12. #12
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    now your thinking with your dipstick
    but what if you win cotm? without a hood? hmm....

  13. #13
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    its white actually...but ready for paint reguardless... they have the ws9 with the heat extractors and the "ws6 lookalike" but. they both look beast IMO. ill get a pic up this wekend hopefully...
    i love mine. i just hope it holds up throughout the years...i figure that itll need repainting ina few years tho
    alos it was like 150 for shipping i believe..
    How does the mesh grill look and did you need a lot of frigging around to get it to fit? Why would you need repainting ?

  14. #14
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    How does the mesh grill look and did you need a lot of frigging around to get it to fit? Why would you need repainting ?
    fit is excellent...just a hair too short from the headlights (1/8 inch difference maybe if you wanna get picky)...better than my firends VFN camaro hood... (LOL Sorry Jack)
    ehh its something you have to get used to... i mean i looked for months on craigslist and ebay.. found 4 or 5 i think that were either a little damaged themselves or ridiculous on their prices.
    but im used to the mesh grille now... looks nice IMO...unless your an OEM guy and you could buy the Plastic Grille from Classic Industries and insert then and mess with it to drill them in...but like i said i felt like it wasnt worth the trouble for a small "improvement" to achieve OEM look...
    i mean its hard to make these cars look bad...and something this small... no one notices (but you will)... i still get compliments all the time...
    haha had a elder dude in a 2005+ Z06 give me a thumbs up in evansville just last night


    and that pisses me off about the indentions...that was the thing that stood out the most to me...

  15. #15
    Member TA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    863

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    ^^^ I also like the mesh grill. It makes the front stand out

  16. #16
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    yes well ive never been much for OEM parts... but OEM quality is hard to match...

    but if i ever need another hood again...id go with trufiber without blinking an eye
    Last edited by BashamWS6; 11-25-2010 at 11:06 AM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    I'd go OEM if you can find one at a good price. I have a WS9 and the amount of extra prep isn't worth it.

  18. #18
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    ?????

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I'd go OEM if you can find one at a good price. I have a WS9 and the amount of extra prep isn't worth it.
    You bought a TRuFiber WS9 hood and it would be more work than a Tru Fiber WS6 hood or what do you mean?????

  19. #19
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    Indentions???

    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    fit is excellent...just a hair too short from the headlights (1/8 inch difference maybe if you wanna get picky)...better than my firends VFN camaro hood... (LOL Sorry Jack)
    ehh its something you have to get used to... i mean i looked for months on craigslist and ebay.. found 4 or 5 i think that were either a little damaged themselves or ridiculous on their prices.
    but im used to the mesh grille now... looks nice IMO...unless your an OEM guy and you could buy the Plastic Grille from Classic Industries and insert then and mess with it to drill them in...but like i said i felt like it wasnt worth the trouble for a small "improvement" to achieve OEM look...
    i mean its hard to make these cars look bad...and something this small... no one notices (but you will)... i still get compliments all the time...
    haha had a elder dude in a 2005+ Z06 give me a thumbs up in evansville just last night


    and that pisses me off about the indentions...that was the thing that stood out the most to me...
    What do you mean by indentions and would it be inconvenient to send me a pic at tplmcl@gmail.com of the hood mesh grill and fit I would appreciate it

    Cheers and thanks again I am ordering a hood this winter for sure and trying to figure out about a 3200 stall converter and tranny parts to make it work or just go 3:73 gears or both depending on the budget!!!!! Supercharger is what I want but man they are pricey

  20. #20
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    @Durango
    my cars a bit durty thanks to the 30 days of rain!!!
    but ill get some tonight tho so you can see...
    i believe it is $479 with $150 shipping i think
    im saticfied with my hood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Good Price and Place for an SS Hood
    By Camaro98Z/28 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 03:10 PM
  2. where is the cheapest place to get a ram air hood
    By texasdogman in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-08-2008, 08:56 PM
  3. Z28 wheels,camaro hood,trans am hood
    By craig02ta in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 03:14 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 07:04 AM
  5. SunCoast Raptor hood verses Firehawk Hood
    By 99ta92rt in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 09:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •