Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Oil, Filter, and Diff Fluid

I'm doing my very first maintenance today....I knows its been done to this car before in its 6 year history, but at 5000 miles it almost feels like it should be its first one too. LOL

I want to run some good quality oil, use a solid filter, and probably swap out the differential fluid. I know standard dino oil ages over time as well as use, but does high quality synthetic age as well? If I change the oil now and store the car over winter, is it time for another oil change in spring even with only 2 or 3 hundred miles on the oil? (Should I just go with Sarges suggestion of Penzoil Platinum...I read that post until my eyes hurt, or does it have any disadvantages in my particular application?)

Almost forgot to ask as well...what grade oil does best in colder northern climates over the late fall, winter, and early spring months?

And the differential fluid, its 6 years old but does it need changed because of age, or will synthetic diff fluid be a sound upgrade, or should I just leave it be for now?

Lastly...engine coolant, what brand is best for an F-body (2002 WS6)

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    I'm doing my very first maintenance today....I knows its been done to this car before in its 6 year history, but at 5000 miles it almost feels like it should be its first one too. LOL

I want to run some good quality oil, use a solid filter, and probably swap out the differential fluid. I know standard dino oil ages over time as well as use, but does high quality synthetic age as well? If I change the oil now and store the car over winter, is it time for another oil change in spring even with only 2 or 3 hundred miles on the oil? (Should I just go with Sarges suggestion of Penzoil Platinum...I read that post until my eyes hurt, or does it have any disadvantages in my particular application?)

Almost forgot to ask as well...what grade oil does best in colder northern climates over the late fall, winter, and early spring months?

And the differential fluid, its 6 years old but does it need changed because of age, or will synthetic diff fluid be a sound upgrade, or should I just leave it be for now?

Lastly...engine coolant, what brand is best for an F-body (2002 WS6)
    Well lets get specific then I can make recommendations.
    What mods have you done to the car?
    What is the average day of driving? City/Hwy?
    Do you take it to the track?
    How many miles do you want to drive before time for another oil change?
    Hell yes drain and refill the diff fluid. Amsoil 75-90 with friction modifier.
    As for oil filters....AC Delco/NAPA Gold/WIX

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Well lets get specific then I can make recommendations.
    What mods have you done to the car?
    What is the average day of driving? City/Hwy?
    Do you take it to the track?
    How many miles do you want to drive before time for another oil change?
    As for oil filters....AC Delco/NAPA Gold/WIX
    Alright, At the moment the car has 0 mods (I haven't had it long enough) but in the next month the catback will go on, I'm planning long tube headers, and I'm currently just trying to locate a good y-pipe with cats. After that a new lower temperature T-stat and an intake of some kinda (either a highflow filter with a lid, or something like the FIPK ram air intake) Next summer, I might be able to get a custom tune, but that is iffy.

The average day of driving is a 45 minute highway trip, an hour or two zipping around the city, and a 45 minute highway trip back. (I sometimes drive the WS6 just putting around town but that job is usually reserved for the old car, the WS6 is a night out kinda vehicle for me and only sees perhaps 2 days a week of short trip, stop and go only use.)

Track....what is this "track" you speak of??? Actually the nearest one is 3 hours drive away, so No, other than a little spirited run here and there it doesn't see any real racing.

As for oil change frequency...can I really get away with anything other than a 3K interval (I see this extended life stuff that is supposed to be good for 2 or 3 times that long, but I have a hard time believing it) Less changes would be more convenient but I'm not going to sacrifice my car for it.
    I only put 14K per year on this car (absolute max) and I have to store it probably 3-4 months of the year to avoid snow and salt.

Thanks alot for the advice, but what would be the 2nd choice of diff fluid...I'm in a remote area of Canada and there are a lot of things we can't get here (I'm not sure, but I would bet no one has ever heard or, much less could get thier hands on Amsoil)
    Last edited by Intrepidman; 10-01-2008 at 08:27 AM.

black
    2002 WS6

Hey there, you can get Amsoil online, or look around for a dealer, someplace other then Crappytire and Partsource. Any performance shop should have it. I go to Autoparts Plus my self.

They deal in WIX filters only and carry some decient oils. I use Q-state my self cause they have both WIX and the full synthetic in stock.

http://www.partsplus.com/ i know not a sponcer, but trying to help a fellow Canadian out with finding products locally.

For Oil weight I have been using 5w30, Car only get driven for 4 months before being put under a blanket for the winter.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Alright, At the moment the car has 0 mods (I haven't had it long enough) but in the next month the catback will go on, I'm planning long tube headers, and I'm currently just trying to locate a good y-pipe with cats. After that a new lower temperature T-stat and an intake of some kinda (either a highflow filter with a lid, or something like the FIPK ram air intake) Next summer, I might be able to get a custom tune, but that is iffy.

The average day of driving is a 45 minute highway trip, an hour or two zipping around the city, and a 45 minute highway trip back. (I sometimes drive the WS6 just putting around town but that job is usually reserved for the old car, the WS6 is a night out kinda vehicle for me and only sees perhaps 2 days a week of short trip, stop and go only use.)

Track....what is this "track" you speak of??? Actually the nearest one is 3 hours drive away, so No, other than a little spirited run here and there it doesn't see any real racing.

As for oil change frequency...can I really get away with anything other than a 3K interval (I see this extended life stuff that is supposed to be good for 2 or 3 times that long, but I have a hard time believing it) Less changes would be more convenient but I'm not going to sacrifice my car for it.
    I only put 14K per year on this car (absolute max) and I have to store it probably 3-4 months of the year to avoid snow and salt.

Thanks alot for the advice, but what would be the 2nd choice of diff fluid...I'm in a remote area of Canada and there are a lot of things we can't get here (I'm not sure, but I would bet no one has ever heard or, much less could get thier hands on Amsoil)
    Well if you can get Torco 75-90 with the Ford (yes Ford) frction modifier that would be a good choice for your ride.....you can always get Amsoil through this link... http://www.competitionsynthetics.com/
    5-30 Pennzoil Platinum will do you well.....with short OCI's ( I agree on the 3K) PP is a bargain......you could also run a conventional oil and have excellent results.....

Post Amsoil in Canada...

Intrepidman,

If you are interested in Amsoil products, you can order them through my dealership and have product to your doorstep within a few working days. It looks like you live in or around New Brunswick, Canada, so your order would come out of the Toronto, Ontario Amsoil Distribution Center, check out this link below:

Your closest AMSOIL Distribution Center interactive map link

Note: Amsoil Distribution Center product pick-ups are only available to Dealers, Preferred Customers, Commercial Accounts, and Retail-On-The-Shelf Accounts and not available to general retail sales. Distribution Centers also prefer calling in your order ahead of time before pick-up.

If you live close to an Amsoil Distribution Center and would like to avoid shipping costs, become enrolled in one of the above mentioned accounts.

Also, consider saving money on your order and apply for the Amsoil Preferred Customer program. This allows you to purchase Amsoil products at 15 to 25% off retail price making shipping expense more palatable.

LS1.com – Amsoil Preferred Customer link

Feel free to ask any other any other questions about Amsoil ordering and product application, I’m glad to help!

Finally, try using the search option here on LS1.com if you haven’t already and do a search on “Amsoil”. You'll find lots of good info!

CompSyn
    Last edited by CompSyn; 10-02-2008 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Added DC info.

Go with PP 10/30 or 40 syn. and a K&N oil filter (there the cats ass). I run Valvoline syn. in the rear end.

Pardon my ignorance...but just what is this friction modifier? Do I just by "Amsoil with friction modifier", or is it a whole other product that I add to the amsoil when the fill the diff. ?

Wow, I saw a bottle of 5w-30 amsoil at NAPA today, I thought the mobil one stuff was really making a claim saying 10K or even 15K miles between changes....this amsoil bottle claimed up to 25K miles. Now thats a BIG claim....and I don't think I will be taking thier word for it.

White
    2001 Z28

This oil!

Attachment 17621
    This is the UOA from my new grocery getter a Trailblazer SS. It has the LS2 motor. I bought it as a demonstrator in May. It had 7,500M on it. I insisted on an oil change and did a UOA. It came with Mobil 1 5/30. They gave it another fill of Mobil 1 5/30. I changed this oil myself, and went to PP 10/30, and a NAPA Gold filter. Check the decrease in wear in the latest UOA. High silicon due to off road use this summer. Haved changed the air filter to an Amsoil.
    Sarge's advice checks out pretty well!
    Last edited by lonewolf37; 12-25-2008 at 08:46 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Pardon my ignorance...but just what is this friction modifier? Do I just by "Amsoil with friction modifier", or is it a whole other product that I add to the amsoil when the fill the diff. ?
    GM's limited slips require a friction modifier keeping them from locking up/chattering etc. Separate bottle of stuff.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    Attachment 17621
    This is the UOA from my new grocery getter a Trailblazer SS. It has the LS2 motor. I bought it as a demonstrator in May. It had 7,500M on it. I insisted on an oil change and did a UOA. It came with Mobil 1 5/30. They gave it another fill of Mobil 1 5/30. I changed this oil myself, and went to PP 10/30, and a NAPA Gold filter. Check the decrease in wear in the latest UOA. High silicon due to off road use this summer. Haved changed the air filter to an Amsoil.
    Sarge's advice checks out pretty well!
    Lab data does not include any marketing bullshit

Lab data does not include any marketing bullshit

Thanks for all the info guys, especially Sarge, you are the man. I'm curious what you think about the extended oil change interval issue. I'm pretty sure I've read a few times that you are a big fan of short (3000mile) intervals with Penzoil Platinum, but can you actually go longer (without deteriorating effects) on this Amsoil stuff that claims such unbeleiveably long intervals are possible?
    I've heard Amsoil 5w-30 is good stuff and I in no way believe the 25,000 mile claim on the bottle, but is 5000 miles realistic?

An an unrelated but interesting note (or at least I think so) I've seen several new vehicles lately where the manual lists the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval as 4700miles, 6300 miles, or even 7800 miles....and I think I even saw one saying 9400miles. And that is with unspecified oil and filters, not specifically good quality stuff. :-O
    Last edited by Intrepidman; 10-03-2008 at 06:11 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah but if you read on you'll see tons of disclaimers. The most common one being "severe service" which when further defines turns out to be regular driving
    The only way you can extend a OCI is to have UOA's and determine if your oil of choice is maintaining its lubricity and TBN.

Post Amsoil Oil Change Interval...

Oh boy… here we go again with the antiquated 3000-mile oil change myth…

OEMs… GM is up to 10k, Ford and Chrysler are at 7.5k…

“Although oil companies and quick-lube shops like to promote this idea that engine oil should be changed every 3,000-miles, it’s usually not necessary.” - Consumer Reports, December 2006

“Conventional wisdom has held that the oil should be changed about every 3,000 miles. This notion has been ingrained into people's heads for decades, in part as a marketing ploy by oil companies. The 3,000-mile interval made sense when engines used single-grade nondetergent oils. But with the latest oils and car designs, it's no longer necessary to change oil that often under normal driving conditions.” –Steve Ritter, in Chemical & Engineering News, March 13, 2006

“Synthetic oils, because of their better properties, need to be changed less often, at intervals up to 25,000 miles or more. In the end, the best advice on the type of oil to use and the frequency of oil changes is to follow the manufacturer's recommendation in your car owner's manual.” –Steve Ritter, in Chemical & Engineering News, March 13, 2006

“Guaranteed performance and protection for up to 15,000 miles” -Mobil 1 Extended Performance

Then how about this for the Mobil 1 history buffs -

The Mobil-1 25,000-mile extended oil change was available to the public circa early 1980s. This would have been some 8-years after AMSOIL came out with the first API recognized 100% Synthetic automotive motor oil in 1972 with a 25k OCI. It is said that General Motors(GM) was a factor in ending the Mobil-1 extended oil change recommendation when GM started using Mobil-1 as factory fill later on in the 1980s. This is most likely due to liability concerns, but can you imagine how much revenue GM service centers would lose going from a 3k OCI, to a 25k OCI?

And as Sarge pointed out, Amsoil does have a disclaimer. Actually, I'd call it a Manufacturer Recommendation.

The Amsoil extended drain interval does come with recommendations. Here it is below:

AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils are recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline fueled vehicles as follows:

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Replace AMSOIL Ea full-flow oil filter at the time of oil change up to 25,000 miles or one year service life, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).

• In all other applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval.

*OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer

(1) Engines operating under modified conditions are excluded from extended drain recommendations. Examples include the use of performance computer chips; non-OEM approved exhaust, fuel or air induction systems; and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the manufacturers.

(2) Engines are in good working condition and within the factory design settings. Mechanically sound engines, for example, do not leak oil or consume excessive amounts, are not worn out, do not overheat, do not have internal or external anti-freeze leaks and have properly working emission control systems. AMSOIL recommends repairing malfunctioning engines prior to the installation of AMSOIL synthetic oils.

(3) Personal transportation vehicles frequently traveling greater than 10 miles (16 km) at a time and not operating under severe service.

(4) Turbo/supercharged vehicles, commercial or fleet vehicles, excessive engine idling, use of AMSOIL engine oil in vehicles with over 100,000 miles without prior regular use of AMSOIL engine oil, daily short trip driving (less than 10 miles), frequent towing, plowing, hauling or dusty-condition driving.

AMSOIL Ea full-flow oil filters are designed for extended drain intervals. They stop smaller particles, flow more oil and last longer than regular filters. For best performance, use AMSOIL full-flow oil filters.

So when doing the extended drain interval, be sure and follow the above recommendations and remember it is guaranteed by Amsoil Inc.

Finally, as mentioned, Used Oil Analysis (UOA) is the best way to determine how long you can extend your oil change. There are many oil testing labs available to the public and they don't cost that much. There are also many consumer provided UOAs out there that show great results in the 20,000-plus mile Oil Change Interval range. So get some extended drain synthetic, and start testing for yourself. Unless you enjoy changing your oil every 3k; some people do.

CompSyn

White
    2001 Z28

Not So Fast or So Long

The two attached UOAs are for my wife's car. A 2003 MonteCarlo 3.8 V6, completely stock. Used as a DD by my wife. I experimented with the OCI to see how long I could take it with PP 10/30. I took it to 8500M, and the wear was way up. Dialing back the OCI decreased wear.
    The last two UOAs are with Auto RX clean and rinse phase.

I cannot post data for my Camaro as I am bound by a confidentially agreement. However I am going to try Amsoil 0-30 for my next fill. I will request my tribologist release the results.

I don't buy 25,000M OCIs with any oil!
    Last edited by lonewolf37; 12-25-2008 at 08:46 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You can cut and paste your results (wear metals) from Terry...just not his proprietary format/recommendations.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    The two attached UOAs are for my wife's car. A 2003 MonteCarlo 3.8 V6, completely stock. Used as a DD by my wife. I experimented with the OCI to see how long I could take it with PP 10/30. I took it to 8500M, and the wear was way up. Dialing back the OCI decreased wear.
    The last two UOAs are with Auto RX clean and rinse phase.

I cannot post data for my Camaro as I am bound by a confidentially agreement. However I am going to try Amsoil 0-30 for my next fill. I will request my tribologist release the results.

I don't buy 25,000M OCIs with any oil!
    Then why not go 50,000 miles?
    http://www.mlive.com/businessreview/...promising.html

Post Used Oil Analysis (UOA) results...

Easy Sarge! We haven’t gotten past the 3,000-mile oil change practice yet. Let’s save 50,000-miles for another date.

Below are a handful of links I found at Bob Is The Oil Guy.com. The links are Used Oil Analysis (UOA) results from people who posted them there.

Here are the Used Oil Analysis (UOA) results -

Amsoil 0W-30, 20K mile OCI, 2004 Cn Vic 130K mile UOA link

Amsoil ASM 0w20, 2003 Acura MDX, 23920 miles UOA link

Amsoil S3000 5W-30 22,022 miles 2003Chevrolet s-10 UOA link

2000 Civic, Amsoil Series 2000 0w30, 25,000 miles UOA link

03 S2000 Amsoil 0W30, 24,261 miles w/bypass UOA link

When following Amsoil recommendations, Extended Drain Intervals have been possible, are possible and will continue to be possible despite the reluctance of many. Whether or not the public chooses to make the choice and tap into the lubrication technology that exists today is up to them. The reality is that many do not want to take the time, get some UOAs done, and dial in an Extended Drain Interval that is specific to their driving habits and application. A vast majority would rather just take their car to the nearest quickie-lube and have their oil changed every 3k. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It meets the needs and keeps the car running until trade-in time.

CompSyn

White
    2001 Z28

You can cut and paste your results (wear metals) from Terry...just not his proprietary format/recommendations.

Will do. I am sending a new sample this week. Will post this and prior results. Then an Amsoil fill for comparison.

My nerves could not stand going 50K OCIs. However I will try 10K in my Trailblazer SS. That BioSyn looks promising.
    Last edited by lonewolf37; 10-05-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: quotes

Thread Information