Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bat Outta Hell

Black
    96 Z28Ttops, 98 Z28 Conv.

Best for my money?

I have 3,000 to spend (but cant install the items =(((() I mean could 3,000 get from totally stock to the 11's? or maybe low 12s without NOS?? I cant install parts like headers heads cam torque converter ect...

I was thinking (it is a 1998 Z28 A4 convertible COMPLETELY Stock)

Of course
    Air Lid
    Stall
    And a good cam kit

Or possibly just a cam and pull my stock heads and get them worked on??

My goal : to eventually hit low 12s maybe mid to high 11's without NOS...can i achieve this with 3000$ considering i will be paying a sh*t load for labor to install these...I have some options guys, thats why i am coming to you for help... What would you do considering my situation...
    Last edited by NightRiderZ; 11-05-2008 at 11:15 AM.

Do you have headers and exhuast on the car now? With 3k you should be able to get a cam kit installed and tuned along with a converter.
    Non Sponsors

Bat Outta Hell

Black

No, dont have headers yet...but after the cam and converter it will be my next upgrade....If i could find someone to install the TQ Converter (stall) and the cam it would save me over 1,300$$- 1500$$$ =(

Quote Originally Posted by NightRiderZ View Post
    No, dont have headers yet...but after the cam and converter it will be my next upgrade....If i could find someone to install the TQ Converter (stall) and the cam it would save me over 1,300$$- 1500$$$ =(
    You should get your self a nice set of headers like American Racing Headers and a converter and get a cam later. No point in getting a cam with out headers. That will get you low 12's by it self. Might want to get a tune along with those mods too.

Black
    00 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Frans96ss View Post
    You should get your self a nice set of headers like American Racing Headers and a converter and get a cam later. No point in getting a cam with out headers. That will get you low 12's by it self. Might want to get a tune along with those mods too.

I would put gears on this list too......

Bat Outta Hell

Black

Damn, headers and a Stall will get me to low 12's?????? How so? The stall mostly over the power gain right?? What if i went with a 224/224TR cam,Pace Headers and a tune (stall later) would i be hitting low to mid 11's?? Or wouldnt just a badass set of Heads put some more ass in my car?? or what..ive got options

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

HEY NIGHTRIDER,
    I think your headed in a good direction but just like FRANS96SS said, get a good set of headders and a good converter + tune .
    A cam without supporting mods will make better HP#'s on a dyno but won't realy be much faster (if any) at the track!!

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

lid, headers, ls6 intake, stall, shift kit, dr's, tune and if enough money better gears... you will be all over those low 12's

Damn, headers and a Stall will get me to low 12's?????? How so? The stall mostly over the power gain right?? What if i went with a 224/224TR cam,Pace Headers and a tune (stall later) would i be hitting low to mid 11's?? Or wouldnt just a badass set of Heads put some more ass in my car?? or what..ive got options
    Ive set up cars that went 12.5 with just a converter, catback and a tune on a drag radial. Trust me and do the set up i say and your car will RIP. ARH headers, Circle D converter, Tune by a good shop, and a set of Mickey Thompson drag radials and your car will go a least a 12.3

Silver

Ive set up cars that went 12.5 with just a converter, catback and a tune on a drag radial. Trust me and do the set up i say and your car will RIP. ARH headers, Circle D converter, Tune by a good shop, and a set of Mickey Thompson drag radials and your car will go a least a 12.3
    for auto sake with what he has done and maintaining daily driveability i would stick with a nice set of 555r's... i found them to be more enjoyable on the road... and auto's really hook good with that little power withthem at the strip

Bat Outta Hell

Black

What type of a stall would be best for my setup...considering i will be getting the headers, cam, intake, and heads down the road?/?

Silver

What type of a stall would be best for my setup...considering i will be getting the headers, cam, intake, and heads down the road?/?
    unless someone wants to correct me, for best results you will need a smaller stall now and once the came goes in it will be functionable but later down the road you may want a slightly higher stall to really take adv of the cam

I would go with a circle D 3200 right now. It will also be good for when you do heads and cam depending on cam but it will be a good all around converter now and later. PM me if you need one.

Bat Outta Hell

Black

Ive heard great things from Fuddle racing converters (great prices too) are they top quality or if not what would be the best?

P.S. Trans-DAD I live only 45 minutes east of you =D if you know any great shops or anything pm me please ( i REALLY need help on installing these parts and i want to make sure someone who does it knows what they're doing)

Ive heard great things from Fuddle racing converters (great prices too) are they top quality or if not what would be the best?

P.S. Trans-DAD I live only 45 minutes east of you =D if you know any great shops or anything pm me please ( i REALLY need help on installing these parts and i want to make sure someone who does it knows what they're doing)
    Give Late Model racecraft a call. Tell them Fran told you to call. They are in houston.

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

Give Late Model racecraft a call. Tell them Fran told you to call. They are in houston.
    Again I agree with FRAN LMR is a great shop I've also had great service from G-FORCE in pearland (it closer to me)

Headers and a stall are not going to get a 98 A4 vert into the low 12s or 11s no matter what kind of tires are on it. Have you been to the track yet?

For 3k if I were you I'd do headers, 3400 stall, ls6 intake, lid and port your TB. I assume you have a catback already if not add that to your list. If you have $$$ leftover go with 373s and some nice DRs. Maybe high 12s with that set up add the gears and it should be mid 12s. Since you have to pay for installation that is really going to limit what you can do. People have got some nice numbers with cam only but IMO doing the cam first is ass backwards. Get that puppy breathing first so you can utilize everything a cam will give you. Personally I'd do heads and cam at the same time after you have all the bolt ons and addressed that weak ass 10 bolt.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Questions

Do you plan on building the car up more later down the road? Or is this going to be about it as far as mods?

Is this going to be a daily driver, track car? Will you do autocross maybe?

Also, just to put this out there, I noticed you're in Texas so as far as headers you probably don't need to worry as much as others about whether they're stainless or not, you don't have winter rust spell like up north.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I'd go with a lid, headers, ORY w/cutout, catback, LS6 intake, ported throttle body, stall, and a tune. That would probably be a little more than $3000, but the throttle body, lid, and possibly intake shouldn't be much of a problem to install for you. There pretty straight forward.

Bat Outta Hell

Black

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you guys are driving me insane....i want the Cam and Headers but that would only be more hp and make it sound like a cobra killer, when the Stall and Headers (lid and maybe cai) would make it faster and maybe a stock cobra with an exhaust leak and clogged fuel filter killer

Thread Information