Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Best GM parts for upgrades

I've settled into what I want to do with my Z.

I want to essentially build a "sleeper" Camaro, using as many GM products as possible. The things I'm considering are as follows. Any help understanding what the differences will be and cost to benefit ratio would be greatly appreciated.

Heads
    CNC'd LS6 or 5.3 (or other GM)?

Cam
    LS6 (will LS7 fit?) or other GM cam (looking for a mild cam with daily drivability and good street manners).

Intake
    LS6 intake manifold.

Exhaust
    Thinking about extrude honing the manifolds and getting a 2.5" Y to hook up to my Magnaflow. Might also go with shorties (don't want vehicle registration/SMOG cert problems).

Clutch
    LS6 Clutch (LS7 with Ferdenza?)... looking for a bit of weight reduction (not too much), and obviously more torque capacity.

Driveshaft
    PST carbon fiber or aluminum (I like the weight reduction of carbon fiber, but may go for a precision balanced aluminum to keep cost down).

Rear End
    Will worry about it if the 10-bolt breaks (I don't launch/race my car)... probably a 12-bolt should that ever happen.

Brakes
    Already have Hawk HPSs... any ideas on rotors? Calipers? C5 brake kit? My current stopping power is pretty solid as is.

Wheels
    C5 Magnesiums

Suspension/Chassis
    Already have Bilstiens out back with Konis up front, and Strano springs, LCAs, SFCs and STB; planning for full length torque arm mounted on a cross brace, a tubular k-member with upper/lower a-arms (adjustable or no?) and sway bars; also thinking about polymer motor mounts.

Based on what I listed, is there anything out there (off the GM shelf) that might serve my purposes better? Any better deals (lower cost/similar performance) than what I can get from GM (not really looking for ebay stuff, though).

I currently have SLP air lid, S3 Throttle Body, Manaflow catback and MGW short shifter and the suspension mods listed above. What would be a good order to go in, based on my goals?

Black
    Trans am

a ls6 cam hot kit is 212 218 so you might get around 20 - 30rwhp
    a Good DD Cam are 224R & 228R gains 35 - 45hp
    You can Ported your LS6 intake Mainfold if you have one. it show 10 - 20rwhp over a non ported ls6 intake.
    Your Rear End Will not break, but if you put DOT or slicks then it might.
    great wheels are at OE Wheels LLC there good

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

It's hard to make a sleeper out of a V8 muscle car that is know to have a strong power base. Not saying it can't be done, just saying only teens sucking on Honda's VTEC's would be stupid enough to think your Camaro has no balls already.

I made my comments in bold

Heads

CNC'd LS6 or 5.3 (or other GM) - good choices

Cam
    LS6 (will LS7 fit?) or other GM cam (looking for a mild cam with daily drivability and good street manners). There are some better cams out their that can be DD. Others will make more precise options, I can't yet because I haven't been researching for my CAM yet because I'm working on other projects for now.

Intake
    LS6 intake manifold. - Good choice, I currently run it and it's better then the LS1 while looking somewhat stock. But a FAST 102 is best, but requires a few other things, like a new TB, injectors, and tuning to get full benifits from, also a bigger price tag.

Exhaust
    Thinking about extrude honing the manifolds and getting a 2.5" Y to hook up to my Magnaflow. Might also go with shorties (don't want vehicle registration/SMOG cert problems). - Anything but LT's are IMHO a waste of money. You can still get LT's , with high flow CATS and CAT back system and still pass emissions.

Clutch
    LS6 Clutch (LS7 with Ferdenza?)... looking for a bit of weight reduction (not too much), and obviously more torque capacity. - LS7 clutch kit is really good to get, I have it. It can handle up to 550 ft lbs of torque.

Driveshaft
    PST carbon fiber or aluminum (I like the weight reduction of carbon fiber, but may go for a precision balanced aluminum to keep cost down). I personally would not trust a carbon fiber DS, so I'd say aluminum.

Rear End
    Will worry about it if the 10-bolt breaks (I don't launch/race my car)... probably a 12-bolt should that ever happen. - start planning on getting one anyways. The 10 bolts can go under stock power, M6's very easy. Don't waste throwing gears at it either. If you throw in 4.10's you a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. I know some have been able to make it last a while but they still go in the end.

Brakes
    Already have Hawk HPSs... any ideas on rotors? Calipers? C5 brake kit? My current stopping power is pretty solid as is. - R1 Concepts are getting a good rep on here so far. Might want to check them out

Wheels
    C5 Magnesiums

Suspension/Chassis
    Already have Bilstiens out back with Konis up front, and Strano springs, LCAs, SFCs and STB; planning for full length torque arm mounted on a cross brace, a tubular k-member with upper/lower a-arms (adjustable or no?) and sway bars; also thinking about polymer motor mounts. - you seem to be on a good path here. adjustable TA is mostly for those of us that are lowered. Which every one you get at least get it off the tail cone, look for a relocate kit for the TA

Based on what I listed, is there anything out there (off the GM shelf) that might serve my purposes better? Any better deals (lower cost/similar performance) than what I can get from GM (not really looking for ebay stuff, though).

I currently have SLP air lid, S3 Throttle Body, Manaflow catback and MGW short shifter and the suspension mods listed above. What would be a good order to go in, based on my goals? - build your suspension first. Need a strong foundation to be able to get the power to the pavement. Otherwise you're just spinning tires and making noise.

One more thing not listed. Get a god tune. For mail order's Frost is always recommended on here. If you know it's going to be a while before you put the cam & heads on look at getting one of his tunes till then.

Thread Information