Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Best Build?

This is a discussion on Best Build? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS Ohhhhh Myyyyy GAWDDDD girl... You maniacs are destructive lmao.... Or are you intentionally blowing up shit ...

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Ohhhhh Myyyyy GAWDDDD girl...

You maniacs are destructive lmao....

Or are you intentionally blowing up shit to replace it with good stuff?
    ehhh both. we were doing pulls last night, messing with +/- timing and then at the end of the night, we always take turns doing a 1/4 just to build reaction time. the guy that went before me couldn't get it to shift into third and when it did, it sounded like the trans went thru the pan. he did it again and it shifted fine. so i go on my turn and it's stuck in 1st. we hook it up to the laptop and changed the shift points/pressures and it will shift electronically but it takes about six seconds after being commanded to mechanically execute the shift. so looks like we're getting a new tranny!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    ehhh both. we were doing pulls last night, messing with +/- timing and then at the end of the night, we always take turns doing a 1/4 just to build reaction time. the guy that went before me couldn't get it to shift into third and when it did, it sounded like the trans went thru the pan. he did it again and it shifted fine. so i go on my turn and it's stuck in 1st. we hook it up to the laptop and changed the shift points/pressures and it will shift electronically but it takes about six seconds after being commanded to mechanically execute the shift. so looks like we're getting a new tranny!
    Well the good thing is the more shit you tear up, the more you get to get your hands dirty and tear into it, which is a good learning experience.

How much time do you have in total to work on the car and try to finish it? Is it throughout the entire program?

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Well the good thing is the more shit you tear up, the more you get to get your hands dirty and tear into it, which is a good learning experience.

How much time do you have in total to work on the car and try to finish it? Is it throughout the entire program?
    Amen. I hate rebuilding automatic trans tho!!!! But thus far we have about 32 hours into it and we have til may when we have our grand debut (sp?) at gateway raceway

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Amen. I hate rebuilding automatic trans tho!!!! But thus far we have about 32 hours into it and we have til may when we have our grand debut (sp?) at gateway raceway
    Yeah, lots of parts in the auto's. May seems like a far ways off, but I'm sure it will hit and be just around the corner before you know it! It always does when you have a deadline to finish something.

PS - You got it right (debut)

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Yeah, lots of parts in the auto's. May seems like a far ways off, but I'm sure it will hit and be just around the corner before you know it! It always does when you have a deadline to finish something.

PS - You got it right (debut)
    I prefer manuals over autos and torque converters over manuals when it comes to rebuilds. I hope itll feel like just around the corner! I cant do 4 14 hour days a week forever!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

You should:

Rebuild the tranny strong and do it right, big transcooler, SS3600.
    Fuel Pump with a new fuel filter.
    Get some different spark plugs.
    Bigger injectors
    FAST setup, pick your size
    Get the exhaust work done, just pick something
    Contact Texas Speed and ask for a blower camshaft
    Upgrade internals if you wish or just slap on the D1SC and see how much PSI it can take.
    If you get the blower cam upgrade the valveterrain.

I'm curious how much the internals can take with the D1SC so just up the boost and let me know.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    You should:

Rebuild the tranny strong and do it right, big transcooler, SS3600.
    Fuel Pump with a new fuel filter.
    Get some different spark plugs.
    Bigger injectors
    FAST setup, pick your size
    Get the exhaust work done, just pick something
    Contact Texas Speed and ask for a blower camshaft
    Upgrade internals if you wish or just slap on the D1SC and see how much PSI it can take.
    If you get the blower cam upgrade the valveterrain.

I'm curious how much the internals can take with the D1SC so just up the boost and let me know.
    I thought the FAST intake was NOT good for FI. I've seen pictures of them blown apart

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I thought the FAST intake was NOT good for FI. I've seen pictures of them blown apart
    I've seen PLENTY of them with it and a few without it. When it's the school's money, i figured they wouldn't really care.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I've seen PLENTY of them with it and a few without it. When it's the school's money, i figured they wouldn't really care.
    Just wondered. I'm interested in this as well as I will be getting the D1SC next year hopefully now that I'm done building up my trans, suspension, drive train and rear.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I put the LS6 on and if I decide to go with the D1SC i'll just leave it the way it is. Trans is built, so i'd add bigger injectors, and probably a fuel pump. We'll see what breaks.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I put the LS6 on and if I decide to go with the D1SC i'll just leave it the way it is. Trans is built, so i'd add bigger injectors, and probably a fuel pump. We'll see what breaks.
    Yeah the kit I am getting comes with the 42-lb injectors and 255 pump. I just haven't decided if I want to stay stock on the 346ci internals and run a safe 8psi or just go balls out and get a 408 with forged internals and pump up the boost. I really don't want to spend any money on the 346ci.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I was thinking give the 346 hell till it can't take no more, with a conservative 5-8psi. The LS1 isn't worth all that much, so why bother even selling it...

Just my take...

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

new find ... so the tranny was one of the clutch packs went out, no biggy. BUT our magnet in the engine was covered in metal shavings. so we dropped the engine & tranny and now we have nothin until we get our new parts in.

it's gonna be fun.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

new find ... so the tranny was one of the clutch packs went out, no biggy. BUT our magnet in the engine was covered in metal shavings. so we dropped the engine & tranny and now we have nothin until we get our new parts in.

it's gonna be fun.
    How's things going?

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

How's things going?
    still waiting for our trans to come back from the trans shop - they're rebuilding one for us and putting a stall in it (not sure what kind) ... we should have it put back together last week of october if everything goes well ... instead we've been tuning a 5.7 GTO, '86 Corvette and just finished a cam in a newer Silverado SS (which turned out needing an entire upper end rebuild, but we gained almost 45HP with it) ... we're gonna tune my WS6 this week since I just got it running perfect ... but looks like the Z is gonna be an end of semester project.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Ahh. Ok. Well good luck with your tune on the TA.

How is the tuning sessions going? How difficult is it to understand?

I was thinking at some point I might get HP tuners and a wideband. Maybe after I graduate and have more time to read into it.

One of my best friend's tunes Ford cars (he is a Marauder freak of nature) so I might be able to learn some things from him. I understand it is pretty involved.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Ahh. Ok. Well good luck with your tune on the TA.

How is the tuning sessions going? How difficult is it to understand?

I was thinking at some point I might get HP tuners and a wideband. Maybe after I graduate and have more time to read into it.

One of my best friend's tunes Ford cars (he is a Marauder freak of nature) so I might be able to learn some things from him. I understand it is pretty involved.
    it's a lot of fun. i really really like HP tuner + wideband set up ... im planning on getting that set up maybe when i graduate (and get a new laptop that isn't a hunk uh junk). it's a lot of meticulous work but it's really cool to see instant results (when on a dyno, at least). definitely something i want to work towards getting a lot better at. we did a little bit of carburator tuning which isn't as fun but its still really neat. since i skipped out on class last night, i'm starting my TA tonight, so excited. don't know what i want to do though ... i know i have to figure out wtf is triggering my knock sensors bc my check engine light won't turn off but they're reading "knock sensor 1, low frequency" "knock sensor 2 low voltage" ... so it seems like i may have a knock on one side and the other knock sensor may just be f-ed up. haha

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

it's a lot of fun. i really really like HP tuner + wideband set up ... im planning on getting that set up maybe when i graduate (and get a new laptop that isn't a hunk uh junk). it's a lot of meticulous work but it's really cool to see instant results (when on a dyno, at least). definitely something i want to work towards getting a lot better at. we did a little bit of carburator tuning which isn't as fun but its still really neat. since i skipped out on class last night, i'm starting my TA tonight, so excited. don't know what i want to do though ... i know i have to figure out wtf is triggering my knock sensors bc my check engine light won't turn off but they're reading "knock sensor 1, low frequency" "knock sensor 2 low voltage" ... so it seems like i may have a knock on one side and the other knock sensor may just be f-ed up. haha
    Funny you mention knock sensors. My other good friend has a Jeep SRT8 and his check engine light recently came on. He got the code scanned and it was one of the knock sensors so he took it to the shop. They scanned it and told him it was fine. 2 miles later after leaving and paying 80 to get it diagnosed, the SES light came on again so he took it back.

Ended up being the wiring to the knock sensor was melted to the intake. Still not sure how that happened!

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Funny you mention knock sensors. My other good friend has a Jeep SRT8 and his check engine light recently came on. He got the code scanned and it was one of the knock sensors so he took it to the shop. They scanned it and told him it was fine. 2 miles later after leaving and paying 80 to get it diagnosed, the SES light came on again so he took it back.

Ended up being the wiring to the knock sensor was melted to the intake. Still not sure how that happened!
    haha, i had p0332 & p0333 for my knock sensors ... so i turned em off last night. 9 times out of 10, if an ls engine is going to knock, you're going to hear it. i didn't tune it yet bc we were finishing up the CETA we were working on (cam, intake, heads, headers, tune) and he's at 381HP now .... but i turned off those, tried to calibrate my spedometer and did three pulls ... currently i have 271HP w/o tuning but hey, for 112k, that's good. my belt decided to start flying off whenever i do a pull so i need to fix that. we'll see what i can do w/ timing and fuel/air tonight. our z started out w/ 250HP and is now 307HP before we blew up the tranny

Red
    '72 Chevy C10 SWB

tep, you are one cool chick. But you already know that. Sounds like your daddy raised you right.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information