View Poll Results: Is this a good idea?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, screw Berger for locking your computer.

11 52.38%
  • No, screw you for wanting to modify your Berger.

10 47.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

Berger modification... in need of opinions..

OK, heres the deal. My berger is my baby, and I love her. However, I would like to bump my numbers up a little bit, and I'm not going to send it back to Berger and pay them too much to bump it up to their next stage. Now, I realize that modifying the car puts me at risk of affecting its long term value negatively, so I want to be able to get it back to "Berger stock" somewhere down the line. It should be noted that I am not necessarily worried about resale value as I don't intend on ever selling the car, but I do want it to be an "original Berger" later on if I'm showing it or something. After doing some pondering for the last several months, here is what I'm thinking might be an option.

The computer is completely locked by Berger (I have posted about this before) and I can't even get in there to look at what kind of tuning it is running with right now. This pisses me off significantly. So, if I'm going to add things (i.e. some headers, maybe a cam, etc), I want to be able to tune the thing, obviously. To solve this problem, I was thinking of just buying a 2nd computer module, and having it tuned out over at DTE here in Fort Wayne when I end up adding headers and whatever else. Then I can hold on to the Berger tuned computer to "return it to stock" at a later date.

The other thing I need is replace the stripes on the car. The edges of the decals are starting to barely peel in a couple of places, and this bothers me. Also, the gold stripes on the black car make it "Purdue" colors, and I am Indiana alumni (bothers me when people with Purdue s*&% on their cars give me thumbs up lol). So I would like to get different colored stripes (prolly dark red). I assume I could order them from Berger directly.

Here's what I'm looking for from the LS1.com viewing public:

Does this sound reasonable or am I about to make a bad decision?
    02 Berger SS #86, SLP #4344: 380 hp/400 tq pkg, M6
    Dyno: 329.59 RWHP @ 5500/348.39 RWTQ @ 4500

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierSS02 View Post
    OK, heres the deal. My berger is my baby, and I love her. However, I would like to bump my numbers up a little bit, and I'm not going to send it back to Berger and pay them too much to bump it up to their next stage. Now, I realize that modifying the car puts me at risk of affecting its long term value negatively, so I want to be able to get it back to "Berger stock" somewhere down the line. It should be noted that I am not necessarily worried about resale value as I don't intend on ever selling the car, but I do want it to be an "original Berger" later on if I'm showing it or something. After doing some pondering for the last several months, here is what I'm thinking might be an option.

The computer is completely locked by Berger (I have posted about this before) and I can't even get in there to look at what kind of tuning it is running with right now. This pisses me off significantly. So, if I'm going to add things (i.e. some headers, maybe a cam, etc), I want to be able to tune the thing, obviously. To solve this problem, I was thinking of just buying a 2nd computer module, and having it tuned out over at DTE here in Fort Wayne when I end up adding headers and whatever else. Then I can hold on to the Berger tuned computer to "return it to stock" at a later date.

The other thing I need is replace the stripes on the car. The edges of the decals are starting to barely peel in a couple of places, and this bothers me. Also, the gold stripes on the black car make it "Purdue" colors, and I am Indiana alumni (bothers me when people with Purdue s*&% on their cars give me thumbs up lol). So I would like to get different colored stripes (prolly dark red). I assume I could order them from Berger directly.

Here's what I'm looking for from the LS1.com viewing public:

Does this sound reasonable or am I about to make a bad decision?
    i don't know... if it were me i'd just buy the cheapest LS1 i could find and mod that and park the berger for a collectors car...

Onyx Black, M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i don't know... if it were me i'd just buy the cheapest LS1 i could find and mod that and park the berger for a collectors car...
    Ya I know, I still feel a lil guilty for wanting to do anything with it. She is still going to be parked in the garage 90% of the time... but I don't want to spend money on another LS1 when I'm not making any "major" mods to the thing, and its only getting driven like 3000 miles annually. Insurance is already fun enough as a 24 yr old with a lot of tickets and an LS1...

blue
    1999 camaro ss #976

just get another engine mod the hell of the new one and when ur ready put the og back in the car . but if stripes r peeling repainted the color u want for now. no mater what its ur baby and do what ever u want to it, and no mater what its always going to be a berger camaro no matter what u do to the car right. but still going to say its a no no lol for wanting to touch ur car

I'm not sure I would change the color of the stripes, I am about 99.9% sure yours is the only black Berger with the gold stripes. Most of the black Bergers had Red stripes. You would have to contact Matt Murphy at GMMG to verify that.

I believe Matt will be at the BERGER Chevrolet all chevy show on Sat Aug 23rd. http://www.bergerchevy.com/CamaroSS/ChevySHOW8.htm

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

I cant believe they didnt add headers when they "modded" those cars. They do a little work, black out a panel, and add a badge then stick it to whoever buys it. Just mod it and be done.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Ya I know, I still feel a lil guilty for wanting to do anything with it. She is still going to be parked in the garage 90% of the time... but I don't want to spend money on another LS1 when I'm not making any "major" mods to the thing, and its only getting driven like 3000 miles annually. Insurance is already fun enough as a 24 yr old with a lot of tickets and an LS1...
    I'm a Purdue fan(I know, they suck) so I vote to get a new computer and keep the black and gold!!!

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I'm a Purdue fan(I know, they suck) so I vote to get a new computer and keep the black and gold!!!
    +1 Your not planning on selling it anyways. If you do return it to stock.

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroFan71 View Post
    I cant believe they didnt add headers when they "modded" those cars. They do a little work, black out a panel, and add a badge then stick it to whoever buys it. Just mod it and be done.
    They had to have the cars CAFE certified in 50 states per GMs orders to keep the factory warranty. It cost Berger a fortune to have these cars recertified after modifing them. They also could not Paint the stripes on and keep GM's paint warranty, hence why all the stripes are decals. Although some owners did opt to Paint the stripe on anyway. LT Headers were a "POST" sale option.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro z28

its a car, do with it what you want. Dont put it away in storage it was built to be driven.

IMO you are about to make a bad decision. Why pay a premium for a berger car then screw up the value by modifying it? I mean I understand not selling it and it's a car but did you not pay a pretty price for a nice berger? I'd just buy another ls1 personally. Sure you could return it to stock but what if you screw up some of the original drivetrain while modding it?

Nice car too I kind of like the black and gold.

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

What is a berger pkg ? & what does it inclued ?
    I was looking at your #"s & my car in stock trim dynoed at 337rwhp!

I would just do the perf. Mod but i dunno bout changing the stripe's

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

I say do what you want to the car. Its yours to drive and enjoy. You can always demod it if you ever sell it. It sucks that the computer is locked. Are you able to access it with hp tuners? As far as the vinyl, I would get the same color. You can find the decals here.
    http://www.3rdgendecals.com/
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my vote is to leave it just as it is. That option is one that's proven to pay off down the road.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I wouldn't modify if it were mine. Future value of it will certainly decline if you modify.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

By the time that car is worth anything, cars will be obsolete and shit will be flying through the sky. Mod that bitch, you don't buy a car to make money. You can always de-mod it if you want, just do bolt on's if it worries you. All that car really is, is someone modding it minor and slapping a name on it. Most won't pay crazy prices for that. But its your car, do what you want.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

You already payed a premium for the mods your Berger has now. Save your money for another year and get the rest of the mods done by GMMG. It will be worth it. That is what I would do. Or I will trade you my car for yours I will take very good care of it. How does that sound?

Ryan

Onyx Black, M6

I appreciate everyone's input. After reading all of these posts and thinking about it some more, I think I'm just going to leave it be. It's not worth the risk of something getting f'ed up just so I can add some bolt on HP. Just for the record, I do think that it is total BS that they lock down the computer and all that, after all it's basically suspension work and a lid/catback, some minor tuning (although who knows, can't get in to see). Seems to be a touch of arrogance on their part, but whatever...

Also, I just bought an 05 Trailblazer over the weekend, so I don't really have any more funding for the Berger right now. Instead, she will be treated right and now I can store her in a nice heated garage where she belongs, put the miles on the SUV.

Somewhere down the road I will buy a cheap LS1 and mod the living hell out of it though.
    Last edited by hoosierSS02; 08-25-2008 at 09:03 AM.

You're making the right decision. Everyone who tells you to just mod the hell out of it fails to realize this is a collectable car that you paid extra for.

The computer thing would piss me off too but you can't really blame them. They put a custom tune on it and don't want you accessing it with software then handing it out to everyone.

..... Just for the record, I do think that it is total BS that they lock down the computer and all that, ....
    I asked Matt Murphy in Indy about this. Hes said that Neither Berger or GMMG have ever locked the computers and that if it is locked, it wasn't locked by GMMG or Berger. If you don't beleive it you may want to call him GMMG Inc. 4190 JVL Industrial Park Drive Marietta, GA 30066 Phone : 770 592-6261

Thread Information