Results 1 to 13 of 13

battery/alternator gauge...

This is a discussion on battery/alternator gauge... within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; does any one know why under acceleration my gauge jitters between 14 and 15 volts?...

  1. #1
    Red Dragon bolden3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In The Back of Your Mind
    Age
    33
    Posts
    27

    RED
    1999 Trans Am

    battery/alternator gauge...

    does any one know why under acceleration my gauge jitters between 14 and 15 volts?

  2. #2
    down in it 310stanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    nj
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,976

    white
    90 Mustang 5.0

    Quote Originally Posted by bolden3 View Post
    does any one know why under acceleration my gauge jitters between 14 and 15 volts?
    as long as you are charging 14 volts and up dont worry abou it. alernating current is never a constant number

  3. #3
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    as long as you are charging 14 volts and up dont worry abou it. alernating current is never a constant number
    mine goes all the way into the yellow when i am heavy in the throttle and high in the rpm ranges why would it do that?

  4. #4
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Age
    39
    Posts
    129

    Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

    I notice mine hovers around 13 when i'm cruising with the a/c on. Sometimes at red lights it'll drop right to the edge of the yellow, but them move back up to 13 when i start moving. it's only at 14 for about 5 minutes when i first start it. Is this a sign it may be going out?

  5. #5
    Member Mike's TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Age
    35
    Posts
    880

    Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    as long as you are charging 14 volts and up dont worry abou it. alernating current is never a constant number
    Alternating Current is pretty much everything in your house. Your Computer will change the alternating to direct current. Anything that runs on a battery is also direct current. Even cars that have alternators.

    In short, All cars are direct current.

  6. #6
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Age
    39
    Posts
    129

    Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

    Ok? If you disconnect the battery on a car after it's been started, it will keep running off the alternator. I don't care if you want to call that power A/C or D/C, but it's usually around 14 volts and mine is typically at 13 and sometimes into the 12's under load from the air conditioner and fans. Is this a sign of the alternator starting to go out?

  7. #7
    Member {FzS}BlacKMagicK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    917

    BlacK
    2001 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by p_funk22 View Post
    I notice mine hovers around 13 when i'm cruising with the a/c on. Sometimes at red lights it'll drop right to the edge of the yellow, but them move back up to 13 when i start moving. it's only at 14 for about 5 minutes when i first start it. Is this a sign it may be going out?
    Exactly what mine does, dunno if it's normal or not though, I really only started paying much attention to it after I dropped in a new red top a few days ago.

  8. #8
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Age
    39
    Posts
    129

    Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

    My LT1 Camaro was always at 14, so that's why I was wondering if this is normal for LS1's or something?

  9. #9
    Member {FzS}BlacKMagicK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    917

    BlacK
    2001 WS6

    I guess with A/C on (with fan on max), headlights, radio, and then you come to a stop (brake lights) and then if it's just above the yellow, it's probably all good.

    The way I'll know for sure if the alternator is bad is if I go the start it and the battery is dead...so far so good, but I would feel a lot better if the gauge read higher under full load.

    I guess we would need a higher output alternator for that.

  10. #10
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Age
    39
    Posts
    129

    Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

    Yeah. Every car I've owned has had the alternator go out. Luckily it's not too expensive and I can do it myself. If it does go out, I'll just get a heavy duty one.

  11. #11
    Member {FzS}BlacKMagicK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    917

    BlacK
    2001 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by p_funk22 View Post
    Yeah. Every car I've owned has had the alternator go out. Luckily it's not too expensive and I can do it myself. If it does go out, I'll just get a heavy duty one.
    There ya go, then you can get a more powerful stereo, and have it happen all over again.

  12. #12
    down in it 310stanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    nj
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,976

    white
    90 Mustang 5.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    Alternating Current is pretty much everything in your house. Your Computer will change the alternating to direct current. Anything that runs on a battery is also direct current. Even cars that have alternators.

    In short, All cars are direct current.
    your car doesnt run off your battery, you can disconnect your battery and itll run unless your alternator is kaput or you have put such a huge electrical drain

  13. #13
    Member Mike's TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Age
    35
    Posts
    880

    Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    your car doesnt run off your battery, you can disconnect your battery and itll run unless your alternator is kaput or you have put such a huge electrical drain
    DUH.

    I never said the car ran off the battery.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Battery / Alternator Problem
    By cpw006 in forum General Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 10:23 PM
  2. Alternator bad? or battery? or ground?
    By 96z28 in forum General Help
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-21-2008, 03:01 AM
  3. alternator not charging battery...HELP
    By Unfrozn in forum External Engine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 07:32 PM
  4. alternator..now battery?
    By blackhawk01 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 07:06 PM
  5. alternator vs. battery charger
    By ss~zoso~ss in forum General Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 06:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •