Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bank 1 and 2 sensor 1 no activity

This is a discussion on Bank 1 and 2 sensor 1 no activity within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; the passenger side extension was already on there, looks store bought.. The driver side didn't have an extension, they didn't ...

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

the passenger side extension was already on there, looks store bought.. The driver side didn't have an extension, they didn't have that O2 sensor even hooked up.. so i bought an extension from the WS6store.com..

where do you get your schematics from? i was trying to find it in my Haynes book but couldn't find anything for the O2s... and as long as they ground to the chassis then i'll give it a shot tomorrow, we'll see!

thanks for the help!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Tx98Formula View Post
    the passenger side extension was already on there, looks store bought.. The driver side didn't have an extension, they didn't have that O2 sensor even hooked up.. so i bought an extension from the WS6store.com..

where do you get your schematics from? i was trying to find it in my Haynes book but couldn't find anything for the O2s... and as long as they ground to the chassis then i'll give it a shot tomorrow, we'll see!

thanks for the help!!
    page 12-17 lower right corner and 12-18 lower left corner

98 Formula
    06 duramax

where do your sensors plug in at? The factory harness for the front O2's drops down right off the k-member......just making sure they're not plugged into the rear O2's harness.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

The driver side is plugged in under the power streering pump, it's right in front of the driver side header. Then the passenger side is plugged in right in front of the k-member.. I didn't see anyother plugs that they could of plugged into so
    I hope those are the right ones

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The driver side is plugged in under the power streering pump, it's right in front of the driver side header. Then the passenger side is plugged in right in front of the k-member.. I didn't see anyother plugs that they could of plugged into so
    I hope those are the right ones
    Those are the correct connectors for the front O2's.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

alright, hopefully the rain will let up a little today so i can try and make my own chassis ground and get this thing working

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

finally got to go out there and hook up the ground. neither O2 seemed to have a good ground. Got it all done and took it for a drive. after about 5 minutes and a good run against a '07ish stang GT, i got a P0131 and P0151 light (Bank 1&2 low volt) i cleared those out and kept driving around. Drove around for about another 10 minutes and only got a P0151 light back. I'm thinking i might take both the O2 sensors back to autozone and get new ones, i asked my buddy that works up there and he said they will just exchange them for me. Unless someone else has any ideas?

and yes i ate that stang up, he definatly had at least an exhaust on it, not sure what else

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

something that i read said that if your coolant temps are off it can cause the O2 sensor issues also, i'm thinking that might have something to do with it also since i just got a low coolant light.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

low coolant and coolant temp are 2 different things. You really need to find someone that can log the car for you.....it would bypass a lot of the guess work. You'd be able to watch those O2 voltages on screen and see what they're doing.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    low coolant and coolant temp are 2 different things. You really need to find someone that can log the car for you.....it would bypass a lot of the guess work. You'd be able to watch those O2 voltages on screen and see what they're doing.
    Don't you need a wide band to log A/F? The sensor data from the narrow band O2's bounces all over the place from what I have seen on our car.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Don't you need a wide band to log A/F? The sensor data from the narrow band O2's bounces all over the place from what I have seen on our car.
    the way you diagnose O2's is by using the voltage...you can watch that voltage and see what's going on. I've seen them flatline at 450mv's and stay there.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    This is what would help solve this, in a quick manner. Can be difficult to find someone that has HPT or another capable scanner though.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

well i have taken the car for 2 more drives since the last post. about 5-10 minutes each, both trips i have gottin NO ses lights.. i'll still see if i can find someone with a scanner that can read the O2's just to make sure but for now i'm hoping its problem solved... we will see..

car seems to be pulling a little harder when i get on it, and running smoother also..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

ok i went and bought a tester to check all the wires and what not.. I unhooked the harness extensions from the engine bay harness. I tested the ground to the O2 sensor and that was good.
    Alright help me out here. Are you saying, with the O2 sensor unplugged and testing on the sensor side, you have a good ground on one of the O2 sensor wires? which one? None of them should be ground when unplugged.

Then i tested all the wires on the engine bay harness (pink, purple, tan, and black) The pink one is the only one that moved away from 1 on my tester, it jumped up between 60 and 58.xx.. The ground (black wire) never changed it stayed at a constant 1.0, which is what the tester is at not touching anything.. This was the driver side O2 harness (didn't have time to check passenger side)
    So you meter was on ohms, right? And you had one lead on a good ground somewhere right? and all the wires test open to ground except the pink one?

here's how you should test the heater circuit. turn the key on and set your meter to read volts. Put the red lead on the pink wire and the black lead on the black wire or the engine bay harness. if you read 12volts then the heater circuit is ok. if not then you have to figure out if you have no power or no ground.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

i had no ground on either harness.. when i would put the red lead on the pink wire and the black on black i would get like -70.xx when i took it off of the black wire and put it to a good ground i would get about 50.xx, this is with key off... When i tested the ground it stayed at a constant 1. I then spliced into the black wire and ran my own ground, when tested it would go to 0. and now i am not getting ses lights, seems to of fixed the problem.

now when i tested all the wires on the engine bay harness side, non of them changed they all stayed at a constant 1 except the pink wire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information