Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

bad o2 sensors=power loss?

This is a discussion on bad o2 sensors=power loss? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i get paid for fixing cars,not for giving out free advice on my lunch hr.But since you asked bucking surging ...

i get paid for fixing cars,not for giving out free advice on my lunch hr.But since you asked bucking surging pinging is the most common complaint,that and the MIL.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

If your time is sooo important then save us all the responses all together -you seem to have plenty of time to criticize what everybody else says.You think you're the only professional mechanic here?-you're wrong.Spare us the smart-ass stuff and give advice.

smat ass?,what do you do for a living?can i mooch off you and ask you for advice?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA
    can i mooch off you and ask you for advice?
    Sure.
    That is why I check these forums....to help if I can.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Mr. Luos has the right attitude-and Yommama -that's what I'm getting at-you think you are the only wrench here--you're wrong again.And you seem to have plenty of time here! Drop the superiority attitude and either give advice or stop commenting all together. I don't do alot of diagnostic work,mainly undercar services,for the last 25+ years I've been working on cars for a living. I'm not going to give my resume here, nor do I think this makes me superior to anybody else here.Alot of these people are hobbyists-but there are some pro techs here too.But that's what this forum is for-the hobbyist who is asking for advice. Either "lower " yourself or don't bother to respond at all-leave the tude at home.And yeah-if even you asked nicely for help-I would help you like I have many other people over the years-nobodies getting paid to be here.

i come here to hear all the smart ass people,excuse me if i don't help anymore.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Smart ass people isn't the thread-O2 sensors is -and your advice on that is valuable.This forum is for ANY body that wants to contribute-it's not up to me.But I will always knock somebodies pompous attitude-never their sincerety.Just don't come on here and act like it's killin you to contribute and we should be paying you or something-that's B.S.

Let's get back on track here on the importance of what the O2's actually do and if I'm an idiot to think these things can be cleaned....we're all on here for the same reason...

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I remember something about cleaning O2 sensors-but it's been a few years.The idea was not to remove them -but to get them to heat up and burn off any impurities.This would have been back in the late 80's so I don't know if it's applicable here to modern (heated)ones or not-can anybody help out there?

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

What's the Labor rate for Internet Advice, Oh Great One? or are you still at Lunch?

(Enter Flame Here)

Now, back on topic. . .I have never recommended cleaning 02 Sensors, and I have been told by many "Professional Mechanics" that it is not a good idea.

Question?; (Enter Labor Charge Here) Are wide-band 02 sensors compatible with the stock PCM?

My experience with bad 02's is, of course the SES light, surging, and poor fuel economy.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

there is a very easy way to clean them,if its just a dirty fouled 02 its usable again.seems when ever i post some smart ass posts something dumb back about it,so i think i'll keep my knowledge to myself.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

So your saying when in closed loop. The front 02's don't help in keeping a 14.7 AFR?
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383, ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD
    Black 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid 4WD (Totaled)

Black 2013 Chevy Volt (Gone)

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

i come here to hear all the smart ass people,excuse me if i don't help anymore.
    If you don't want to help, thats fine. But leave the smart-ass comments out.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

My trap speed went down by 6mph with bad o2 sensors...thats a lot of power loss. I also got HORRIBLE gas mileage.

Ive been running o2 sensors from a corvette since then. Its been working wonderful for me.

Btw...did it ever occur to you that it can cause a misfire because the car starts to run so lean/rich and fouls up the plugs?

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

there is a very easy way to clean them,if its just a dirty fouled 02 its usable again.seems when ever i post some smart ass posts something dumb back about it,so i think I'll keep my knowledge to myself.
    Ok, I'm all ears. . .or eyes. . .huh Forum. . . How do you recommend cleaning? Everything I've been told is that cleaning solvents destroy the chemical coating inside the 02 sensor, thereby severely degrading the sensors ability to react to oxygen, causing erratic function. It supposedly cause reduced sensitivity to 02, generates a higher voltage, causing a richer mixture, system goes rich, PCM tries to compensate, by leaning out mixture and then this all repeats. . .hence erratic function!

02's are sensitive to contaminants. Installation instructions even warn about touching the sensor element with your fingers, or contaminating with lubricants, such as anti-seize compound.

So please, explain where I have gone astray! If I'm getting bad info I need to correct this. Having an opinion doesn't mean we are trying to demean you in any way. If you have something to offer then please do. If you want to cop an attitude and pout then, well, have a nice evening!

To check the sensors first disconnect and inspect the wiring, remove the sensors and clean them, don't use any type of chemicals to do this, the cleaning should be done by using a PROPANE TORCH, place the sensor tip inside the propane flame for a few seconds at a time until all contaminants get evaporated by the heat. THEN do the standard 02 bench test using a hign impedance volt meter.

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by ~redlinels1~
    My trap speed went down by 6mph with bad o2 sensors...thats a lot of power loss. I also got HORRIBLE gas mileage.

Ive been running o2 sensors from a corvette since then. Its been working wonderful for me.

Btw...did it ever occur to you that it can cause a misfire because the car starts to run so lean/rich and fouls up the plugs?
    Are the Vette 02 sensors WideBand??

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

To check the sensors first disconnect and inspect the wiring, remove the sensors and clean them, don't use any type of chemicals to do this, the cleaning should be done by using a PROPANE TORCH, place the sensor tip inside the propane flame for a few seconds at a time until all contaminants get evaporated by the heat. THEN do the standard 02 bench test using a hign impedance volt meter.

Thank You!

thing is alot of 02 sensors get replaced without ever being tested and are STILL GOOD.bad plugs ign wires etc can foul them quickly.sure they can look and act bad but if they are being fouled constantly by something else you will chase your tail and get extremely aggravated.the symtoms the other person posted that i said BS to looked like something someone read out of a book.i deal in the real world.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information