Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad Hub?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Bad Hub?

Can a front wheel hub be bad even if you jack the wheel up and you don't have play at 9 and 6 or 12 and 6 position? I keep getting this bad vibration and noise from what it looks like to be the front wheels. The wheels were balanced before and there was no issue. The noise is getting worse and the vibration too. I feel a little vibration on the steering wheel. I kinda hear the vibration in the middle of the car too. I check the U joints and they look okay. There is a little play were the driveshaft enter the transmision but is very small and i was told that it is okay. I have UMI stock non adjustable torque arm so the angle should be the stock one. Any suggestions?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Front bearings generally will start to growl in corners. In a left turn, the right one will growl and vice versa. That being said, we had a sudden wheel bearing failure in our Suburban a few weeks ago. It was fine one day and bad the next.

With the front end in the air, you should feel noticeable play if the bearing is bad. I suspect a bad u-joint from what you have described. It may look okay but still be going out. Other things to check -- bent rim, loose lug nuts, rear wheel bearing, tie rods, lower ball joints, etc...?

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I would add the front rotors to the list Jeff has given you. The rotors are known to warp on the LS1's.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i put new rotors like 4 months ago from R1 concepts. When im braking i don't feel the vibration. That will put the rotors out of the question right?

As far as the tie rods and ball joints if they are bad you will notice play at 9 and 3, and 12 and 6 i would think. correct me if im wrong.

The rear bearings im not sure about. There is a very small play when I try to lift the rear wheel up with my arms, nothing else. Could the axles itself cause this kinda noise/problem? To check those i guess ill have to pull them out to inspect them.

You mention the u joints. if the u joints are bad you will get play at the drive shaft right? or could they be bad even with no play?

Could worn out or old rubber bushings could cause this? I'm talking suspension bushings.

Im sorry to ask that many questions but this is bugging for a while and nothing is making sense. I have to get 2 new tires soon I'm going to rotate them around to see if it could be tire related too.

If not ill just keep driving until it breaks lol. It 's my only car so i try to avoid breakdowns by fixing it before it breaks. thanks.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Can a front wheel hub be bad even if you jack the wheel up and you don't have play at 9 and 6 or 12 and 6 position?
    YES. But usually you won't have a bad vibration from a wheel bearing. Its more of a growl/groan/hum noise with maybe some minor vibration. But usually just noise.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    With the front end in the air, you should feel noticeable play if the bearing is bad.
    Sometimes a wheel bearing can growl without noticeable looseness or play. I'd say maybe 25% of the time.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Sometimes a wheel bearing can growl without noticeable looseness or play. I'd say maybe 25% of the time.

Mine have all been the 75% variety with noise and play. Good to know.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

YES. But usually you won't have a bad vibration from a wheel bearing. Its more of a growl/groan/hum noise with maybe some minor vibration. But usually just noise.

Thanks Cutlass. I'll consider this. The hubs are not cheap. Which it kinda sucks if i want to replace both. Should I get GM brand ones? I seen NTP brand for $92 and National for $163 each at my local auto part. Rock Auto has Timken for $123 and SKF for $176 each. Thanks.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 11-25-2010 at 12:46 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I really prefer the GM ones. Its the only ones I'll ever use for my cars. But there are some good aftermarket ones out there...its just a crap shoot on weather you get a good one or not.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Have moved the front wheels to the rear to see if makes a difference? I wouldn't try hubs unless I was darn sure. I think you need to do more checking.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I agree DaddySS. I need to purchase 2 new tires pretty soon. I will rotate the tires and recheck.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

okay I pulled the wheel and caliper off. I put 3 lug nuts back to tighten the rotor so it will free spin. I checked all around the rotor to make sure is not rubbing against something. Again there is no play or noise if I free spin the whole wheel installed. This is what I found:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3VZtYMaGRM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3VZtYMaGRM[/ame]

It sounds to me like the bearings in the hub are bad. My question is will the ABS sensor make this noise when i move the rotor or is the hub bad? I check the other side and is making the same noise but louder. Thanks.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 12-01-2010 at 08:39 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I agree, sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I agree, sounds like a bad wheel bearing.
    Thanks Cutlass. Now I just have to get some hubs. The cheapest decent ones i can find are the Timken's online. $135 each including shipping.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

One question. i decided to get a hub in a local auto parts. When i was comparing it the stock ABS sensor plug clicks on the sides. The terminal on the hub will fit the plug but it clicks on top. i returned the parts.

Does anyone else had this problem? Does the 98's have a different plug?
    I want to order the Timkem hubs but I want to comfirm that the plug will fit with no problem.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

does it look like this?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

does it look like this?

Click for full size
    The ones that I initially got looked a little bit different. But it looks like they would work except the ABS plug. I returned those and got the Timken's for $142 each at my local autozone. Those looked like the one in your picture. They were lised for $183 but i showed them that I can find the same Timken ones for $135 (with shipping) online so the manager took off $40 bucks. I got one hub today and the other one is order for tomorrow. I will install them Wednesday.

On one note with my rear end noise that I was having. I pulled the axles and one of them had damage were the bearing sits at. I put a repair bearing and also replaced the other side bearing. Both of them Timken. Put new seals and my rear end noise is gone (except for the exhaust lol). The current bearing didn't looked like original GM ones. I hope the timken seals are good. If not I will get GM ones.

Now I only hear and feel vibration on the front. i'm sure it will quiet down once I replace the hubs.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Timken is a OEM supplier and usually their parts are pretty good quality

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I would go with nothing but timken

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

good to know

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I just realized that I should have replaced the pinion seal too ... oh well maybe later. I need to figure out what kinda of puller I need for the yoke.

Thread Information