Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bad Hub?

This is a discussion on Bad Hub? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; great vid justin! ... so to take the next step for the hubs, ...it's just removing four bolts that hold ...

blue
    1999 TransAm

great vid justin! ... so to take the next step for the hubs, ...it's just removing four bolts that hold it on the spindle, and disconnect ABS cable? wonder how hard is is to get those bolts off?.. then when putting new one on, what do you torque to?

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

yep pretty much, like the guy in that video did, I took my rubber mallet and tapped on the ratchet for all four bolts until they came loose, again I coated everything in penetrating lube..

I dont have a torque wrench, I just made them tight, about as tight as I would lug nuts for a wheel. then a few weeks later I tightened them again just a hair.

blue
    1999 TransAm

but you say replacing them, it didn't stop the noise?.. i wonder how good these hub/bearings are generally good for?

1998 Trans Am

nope. I think the road noise is my cheap tires, the hubs took off were solid, spin with ease (easier than the replacements) and were not corroded at all. worst thing about them was one of them had fishing line wrapped around it (no idea) but yeah, I wouldn't do it again if I could do it over.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    nope. I think the road noise is my cheap tires, the hubs took off were solid, spin with ease (easier than the replacements) and were not corroded at all. worst thing about them was one of them had fishing line wrapped around it (no idea) but yeah, I wouldn't do it again if I could do it over.
    how many miles on them? ..i'm at 160k miles, ..so idk what kind of longevity folks are having w/ hubs/bearings?..

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    how many miles on them? ..i'm at 160k miles, ..so idk what kind of longevity folks are having w/ hubs/bearings?..
    130k but hell, hubs are one of those many things on a car that doesn't age with mileage as much as they do with how the car is treated, so considering my cars relatively good condition it doesn't surprise they were fine.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Justin is dead on correct. Hub/bearings can last a really long time. Sometimes they fail for no real apparent reason and sometimes they fail because of curb shots and rough roads(pot holes).

blue
    1999 TransAm

...i guess i always thought that bad wheel bearings made a grinding sound w/ some real negative feedback in the wheel (assuming front wheels)..

i think i'm paranoid,... i feel like a got a bunch of road noise (tires) w/ some whirl noise mixed in, ..but seems to vary w/ some road surfaces.. but i haven't seen hardly any bearing replacement threads on the site, ...so i'm hoping that maybe bearings exhibit longevity in these cars?..

1998 Trans Am

i think i'm paranoid,... i feel like a got a bunch of road noise (tires) w/ some whirl noise mixed in, ..but seems to vary w/ some road surfaces.. but i haven't seen hardly any bearing replacement threads on the site, ...so i'm hoping that maybe bearings exhibit longevity in these cars?..
    exact same thing here man, $300+ for news hubs didn't solve that problem

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    exact same thing here man, $300+ for news hubs didn't solve that problem
    rear wheel/axle bearings??? ...that doesn't seem like an easy DIY though.. maybe i should get my wheels aligned, see if any noticeable effect?

1998 Trans Am

rear wheel/axle bearings??? ...that doesn't seem like an easy DIY though.. maybe i should get my wheels aligned, see if any noticeable effect?
    if you have the money it couldnt hurt...

me personally I would get a friend to drive the car in a circle and I would follow it on foot to try to pinpoint the sound. I am overly confident the noise is coming from the front of my car, and I have done everything I can do. it's definitely the cheap tires I bought

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

im kinda on the same boat with front noise. I bought new hubs along time ago and it quiet down some. Lately i hear some road noise. My front tires are kinda cheap but are almost ready to replace. I'm getting some michelins in the front since i got some on the back. I will then see if I still got the noise. I have a feeling that I have a caliper or both that are slightly dragging. But i don't want to put anymore money until I replace the tires 1st.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    im kinda on the same boat with front noise. I bought new hubs along time ago and it quiet down some. Lately i hear some road noise. My front tires are kinda cheap but are almost ready to replace. I'm getting some michelins in the front since i got some on the back. I will then see if I still got the noise. I have a feeling that I have a caliper or both that are slightly dragging. But i don't want to put anymore money until I replace the tires 1st.
    have them check if your caliper is sticking when you go for the new tires... i've had caliper problems w/ mine, ...recently had one dragging... after fixed (and new front brakes), MPGs went up like 2MPG!

..if everyone is getting the road noise, ..i'm going to to out on a limb here - i think it's the deterioration of undercoating.. i noticed in my rear wheel wells, a lot of the undercoating material that was there looks like it's worn away a good deal... i'd think that this would help w/ muffling road noise from tires (i also get a lot of noise from running on wet pavement). anyone gotten new undercoating sprayed in?

1998 Trans Am

anyone gotten new undercoating sprayed in?
    I have always really wanted to do this, or add dynamat..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

To me undercoating is added weight I don't want and a sticky,nasty mess when you want to work on stuff under the car.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I did added more insulation inside the car and it help alittle but not that much. I still get road noise specially on wet road.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

put 2 new michellins in the front. now all 4 tires are michellins brand new. The front dragging noise and vibration is gone.

1998 Trans Am

congrats I figured that's the problem we're having

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Im glad i waited until the tire were replaced before bumping money into the brakes and other parts. I also replaced my rear shocks. One of them was very weak. I got to do the fronts next.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 12-06-2011 at 07:55 PM.

blue
    1999 TransAm

good to hear that jay! did you get a new alignment too? i still kinda think i'm hearing mainly tire noise too... though, unfortunately i don't think they're quite ready to be replaced yet...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information