Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bad Hub?

This is a discussion on Bad Hub? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by JayTA98 I just realized that I should have replaced the pinion seal too ... oh well maybe ...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I just realized that I should have replaced the pinion seal too ... oh well maybe later. I need to figure out what kinda of puller I need for the yoke.
    A gear puller from the parts store should work fine.

Its not a press fit, its just tight on the splines if its been on for a while.

When I recently took my rear apart to rebuild it, the yoke came off without even needing a puller. I just worked it off by hand.

The critical part when doing a pinion seal is ensuring that you set the proper pinion bearing preload by torquing the pinion nut. You essentially have to collapse the crush sleeve slightly further in order to take up any clearance, and then torque the pinion nut until the pinion turning torque is correct.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

thanks for the info. The hubs are in and it is nice to have no noise/vibration from the front.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Can anyone tell me off the top of their heads what I'll need to get this done, (bolt sizes, parts that need to be greased, best grease to use, some tips, etc, etc, dont have my Haynes manual with me) I'm staying with my mom while shes having surgery and I'm bored out of my mind so I figured I'd be productive, my front end 'growls' pretty hard going around corners.

She has some basic tools here but if there's anything else I need to get, I want to get it in one trip... so far I've gathered that Timken is the brand to go with for new hubs and that's about it..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

all you need is to take the wheel out, disconnect the plug of the ABS sensor, take out the caliper, take out the pads, take out the caliper bracket, take out the rotor. The hub has 4 bolt behind it. i believe they are either 10mm or 12 mm remove tohose out and tap the hub with a hammer if it doesnt come out. reverse the instalation. don't forget to plug back the ABS sensor. You dont need grease because the bearings are inside the hub as a whole unit and you cant open it or grease it.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I don't know for sure, but I think you need a 13mm socket for the hub bolts. Thats what it is on most of the GM cars I work on.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I don't know for sure, but I think you need a 13mm socket for the hub bolts. Thats what it is on most of the GM cars I work on.
    Is possible I cant remember.

1998 Trans Am

okay so I replaced both front hubs with nice expensive Timken ones (I must say I am NOT impressed with Timken BTW, I had to send one back and get a replacement, as it was a factory fluke I guess) and I still have a growly groan coming from somewhere towards the front of the car, It gets louder as I go faster. (gets pretty noticable ~40mph) if anyone has ridden in a truck with big knobby tires, it sounds a lot like that, just no vibration.

any ideas?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

bad tires? swap front and rear tires to confirm or disprove problem tires.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I agree with Cutlass. Some tires will cause road noise.

1998 Trans Am

okay, they are cheapo primewell 245s, replaced about 10k miles ago, guess I just got what I paid for

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

It doesn't matter how much you pay. Different tires use different coumpounds. You could have OEM Goodyears on the car and switch to BFG in the same speed rating...and the BFGs could cause road noise.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    okay so I replaced both front hubs with nice expensive Timken ones (I must say I am NOT impressed with Timken BTW, I had to send one back and get a replacement, as it was a factory fluke I guess) and I still have a growly groan coming from somewhere towards the front of the car, It gets louder as I go faster. (gets pretty noticable ~40mph) if anyone has ridden in a truck with big knobby tires, it sounds a lot like that, just no vibration.

any ideas?
    funny you mention that... i tend to think i have sensitive hearing, ...and i know i have a similar sound as you describe, and it is most noticeable at 30-35mph,... i don't think i have any abnormal vibrations, ...but i think it might just be the tire noise/road noise...?

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    funny you mention that... i tend to think i have sensitive hearing, ...and i know i have a similar sound as you describe, and it is most noticeable at 30-35mph,... i don't think i have any abnormal vibrations, ...but i think it might just be the tire noise/road noise...?
    thats what I would normally think... but one of my good friends has a Z28, also with china made economy tires, and as we were riding around I noticed how quiet it was compared to mine, I knew he just changed the front bearings so I figued thats what is was..

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    thats what I would normally think... but one of my good friends has a Z28, also with china made economy tires, and as we were riding around I noticed how quiet it was compared to mine, I knew he just changed the front bearings so I figued thats what is was..
    If he is a good enough friend, swap wheels and tires for a day

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Siezed callipar pins...

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Siezed callipar pins...
    nope, checked them when I did the hubs, they were in terrible shape, sthlathered a ton of hub grease and worked it in really good.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    If he is a good enough friend, swap wheels and tires for a day
    lives back in my hometown 4 hours away

blue
    1999 TransAm

curious how difficult it is to replace hubs.. like on a scale 1 to 5,... 1 easy, ...5 expert

...the thing is the noise i hear seems like road noise, and kinda changes intensity when driving from one type of pavement to another on the road... i don't think i have any vibration problems, ..and don't notice anything that seems bad in the steering or anything.. ...maybe it's my pinion bearing i'm hearing??? idk..?

1998 Trans Am

if it changes with the type of pavement, it's probably the tires, or that's how mine is, I spent all that money on two new bearings for nothing and the car still sounds the same.

as far as ease to change, 1 being easy and 5 being hard, if changeing brake pads is a 2, this is a 2.2, just have lots of penetrating lube and white lithium grease in spray cans. after the first one i did the second one in ~20minutes

1998 Trans Am

you can use this vid for reference, once he has everything disassembled this far, all you have to do is take the rotor off and you are stareing at the hub.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information