Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Average MPG

This is a discussion on Average MPG within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Mr. Luos JoshieDoom...are you running REALLY lean?? Maybe have the stock tune with an aftermarket MAF? 25MPG ...

dirty aka white
    2000 Z

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    JoshieDoom...are you running REALLY lean??
    Maybe have the stock tune with an aftermarket MAF?

25MPG with the A4 is almost unheard of. More so if you go WOT at any point.
    thats what i get in my 2000 z28 well 24 and up and i'm an a4 but i have 273s

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

Hah i'm totaly open to the sugestions! i just went down to smucks and said give me a good plug for my car.. the guy recominded the xp's .. suposidly some iridium/platnum hybrid thing.. dunno.. So give me some good examples..

So far WeaponX and NGK plugs... can i find those at Pep boys or napa or anything? i dont think the local smucks has them.. Or should i just Summit them or something similar.. any of the sponsors carry them?

Sorry for being behind the times.. most of my mechanicing the last 5 or so years have been on shity GM 60 degree V6's...

1989 Nissan 570SX

okay, seriously. forget the weaponX plugs. all hype. sorry again, sponsor.

now, for the good stuff. go to advance auto parts and get the NGK Iridiums. in case the guy is a moron, it's TR5IX. that is the stock heat range, for those of us on no/low boost. resist the urge to put your gapping tool on any of the plugs - they are already good to go. just add anti-seize and install to whatever the spec is, i think it's ~13ft*lb for aluminum heads in general. (for those with higher cylinder temps, try TR6IX - one heat range colder). putting your gapping tool in the plug can snap off the tip, so again, don't do it.

in my experience, the NGK iridiums are the absolute best at igniting rich mixtures, as well as warding off detonation thanks to excellent thermal properties of iridium. also the NGK's are built well and last for what seems like an eternity, and they don't fall apart. at least not if you change them in the next decade . . . stoooopid V6 Mus-Tank owner . . .

for those of you with a stock motor, stock ECU, and don't drive your car hard, you'll probably never notice a difference between any two sets of new plugs, except that iridium plugs can be changed half as often as standard copper ones. and that they cost more.
    ~Jason
    2005 Acura RSX: Daily Driver duties
    1994 Toyota Corolla: the beater that just won't die!
    "Fast, Cheap, Reliable. You can only have two."

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

NGK TR55's gapped at .054" for a mostly stock LS1.

Black
    2007 Silverado

20-21mpg 5.3L, 3.73s, T1 cam, LT's, TD exhaust, 275/55/20, 4800lbs...not too bad i don't think
    2007 RCSB 5.3L

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

Hrm ok gots some good opinions here... now what about wires? i think i have the same shity autolight wires too...

I know there is alot of hype about wires.. so Whats everyones opinion on good well rounded wires that cary a good spark?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Granatelli or Taylor Wires

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Granatelli or Taylor Wires
    MSD hands down.

I don't recommend wires for many cars though. Unless you have a defective one. The amount of distance the spark has to travel is so minimal that the stock wires do great for most cars.

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

well i've tuged and pulled on these things a few times now.. so i think i'd feel safer replacing them when i do the plugs... and i somehow always manage to break atleast one wire when trying to change plugs.. At least on my POS 85 Jimmy....

1989 Nissan 570SX

+1 for "wires aren't a performance mod"

i've only ever replaced wires that were questionable either in terms of age or condition, like if the shielding is ripped or something, or if there is a kink or some other sign of defect. the only performance to be gained would be reduced resistance. measure the resistance of your wires, go the store, measure resistance of a new one. betcha they're about the same unless yours are hella old (older than when the LS1 came out) or they're in bad physical shape. some people like that aftermarket ones come in pretty colors and are fatter than stock, so they look like they do the job better.

mmm '85 jimmy. that's why. plug wires have gotten a lot better in the past decade and a half.
    EDIT: except for fords.

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

yeah exactly 85 jimmy... i can never get all 6 wires off the plugs without ripping the plug boot off of the wire.. and the way the thing ran it fouled plugs all the time.. SO needless to say i went through a lot of wires...

But anyways it would just make me feel better replacing them ... especially #8 wire... thats a bitch to get off of the plug back there with out me yanking on it.. i even bought a plug wire pulling tool.. no help back there..

Red
    1999 Camaro SS(LS6 Swap)

i have a stock LS6 with 405 hp flywheel and i only get 170 miles to a tank!!! Why? and it's tuned by RPM express in garner

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Consistant 20 to 22 mpg mixed driving to work (75% hiway). As low as 18 mpg once.
    Long hiway roadtrip I got 28 on the way down and 26.5 on the way back.
    99 LS1 M6 mostly stock except free mods, lid, and cat-back.

1989 Nissan 570SX

Quote Originally Posted by mglangley21 View Post
    i have a stock LS6 with 405 hp flywheel and i only get 170 miles to a tank!!! Why? and it's tuned by RPM express in garner
    i give it 95% chance that that is exactly why. even many experienced tuners do not do a very good job. i think for a tuner to be really good they need to have a tuned a lot of their own cars, so they see the gas mileage and the driveability, and spend a lot of time fiddling with the tune to get those both better. then they do the same things to their customers' cars. so you need a tuner who mods his own car a lot, and buys and sells his cars off a lot i guess.

but before blaming the tuner, does your car weigh 8000lb? or, more likely, do you have a bad fuel injector or coil that is causing one cylinder never to fire/make power? when i first swapped i was running on 7cyl and my gas mileage was atrocious, like ~13mpg range, and it made the car shake just idling (solid motor mounts). my LS1 also put down 240whp with a decent intake, nice LT's and a nice exhaust. now it's healthy, gets better mileage, makes a lot more power and it runs smooth as butter. you'd never know the car has solid motor mounts.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I got 16-17 city with my '98 AT 2.73 Trans Am, 25-27 highway.

With the '00 WS6, it gets 15-17 city, 26-28 highway. The Hooker LT and ORY gained about 1.5 highway MPG, and 2-3 MPH at the dragstrip.

red black
    98Z28

98Z28, 187,000 miles bought it three years ago with 87,000 miles and a fresh tune up. Have done nothing but oil and filter changes. Mixed driving around 23. A trip to Tennesee last week netted 27 highway. Guess I need to start looking at another tune up.

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

28mpg highway (full bolt ons, 9" w/3.90's) A/C on, driving 80+

~18mph city

driven like is stolen

2001 M6 SS - few mods...

White
    02 WS6

I got 24.5 mpg the other day w/ the cruise set on 80 and the AC blastin'. I've gotten as high as 29.3 once, w/o the AC on. Normal w/o the ac is anywhere from 26-28 depending on whether the windows are up or down and also whether the T-tops are in or out.

dale

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

I just got 18mpg city last fill up. Pretty decent yeah? Got like 2-3 more MPG with the fuel filter change.

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

01 SS M6 with 3.42's When I was coming back from Az and it started running like shit, I still averaged 22mpg.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information