Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Average MPG

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

Average MPG

So i'm kind of currious, whats everyone's average MPG city/highway. I ask because my city/highway is pretty far apart from each other and i didn't know if this is average, or if my foot is just too fat in town. That and i smell pretty rich when ideling, so i'm wondering if the ram-air/cold-air is leaning out the system when i'm cruzing 60+ but is running rich idle/town drive.

Mine: 98 WS6 stock internals, with some mild bolton's 13city/24highway

Anyways whats everyone else's numbers look like.
    Last edited by setzer6127; 07-18-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

4.11's
    M6
    Large cam, heads, stroker.

14-15 around town most of the time.
    20 on the highway.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

Mr. Luos, what kind of HP are you putting down at the wheels?

I supose i should have mentioned mines A4 stock rear end.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

531.1 RWHP---481.3 ft/pounds ... its in his signature

i get 25mpg driving like an idiot.. all the time. 150xxx A4. with lid and exhaust.. and thats rpo code gu5(3.23s) Do you know what rear end gear you have.. it will be on the rpo codes on the drivers door... starting with gu

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

Hah good point about Hp in sig... i'm blind some times

I'm running the stock gears for A4, 3.23 i do believe. 25 really? is that city and highway or what? 95% of my driving is city short trips like 2 - 3 miles.. i really should just start bicycling most of my trips.. but what fun is that when you have a car like ours?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Thats all stop and go driving with a lot of WOTs everyday

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I never do just city, or just highway, so I don't know the exact figures for the 2.

But with mixed driving, I get a very consistant 23.5 mpg, sometime a little more.

I mostly drive to work in back, it's 30 miles each way, about 15miles on a two lane road with a few lights and a 35mpg speed limit, and the other 15 are highway.

I drove to CT a few weeks ago, 90 miles each way, and I figured that I got a little over 25mpg that tank.

This is a stock A4 with 2.73's.

I try not to drive around town much this time of year, I live in a touristy town and in the summer there's so many people I just sit in traffic, so I get horrible mileage around town.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

JoshieDoom...are you running REALLY lean??
    Maybe have the stock tune with an aftermarket MAF?

25MPG with the A4 is almost unheard of. More so if you go WOT at any point.

red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

i just figured mine up on a trip that was about 60/40 highway to city with the air running on the highway part and got 24.9 mpg that was with cruise on the highway but driving normal in city. stock A4 with 323

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

around 22 constantly. m6 342

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

Wow! guys... i get really shity gas compaired to most of you... Though you make a good point Stuntman! living in seattle area i get stuck sitting alot. That could be whats killing my mpg in town i supose. but really! even if i do a higher ratio of city/hwy i only average around 17. If i get out on the open road, dont wot to pass and keep her on cruise i get roughly 24.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by setzer6127 View Post
    Wow! guys... i get really shity gas compaired to most of you... Though you make a good point Stuntman! living in seattle area i get stuck sitting alot. That could be whats killing my mpg in town i supose. but really! even if i do a higher ratio of city/hwy i only average around 17. If i get out on the open road, dont wot to pass and keep her on cruise i get roughly 24.
    Just a thought but maybe a tune up is in order Plugs, Wires, and Fuel Filter couldn't Hurt.

I average 20 - 21 mpg with a 80/20 split for City/Highway
    Mines also a M6 w/3.42's and I try to se 5th gear as much as possible in the city.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

1989 Nissan 570SX

you know, i don't understand why i get the mileage i do. my last turbo 4cyl netted me 27-30mpg no matter how i drove, in city or on highway. i could beat it up or baby it, same mileage. when i first went LS1 i was getting like 23-24mpg city, though i was expecting better from a light car. now i get 17-18mpg city. i have a slightly different tune, but it still runs good AFR's at cruise. i think i just get on it more. my rear end is 4.083 FWIW. i don't spend much time on the highway at all, but i seem to remember hitting like 21.5mpg or so. not much of a highway. it was me plowing through traffic on the highway.

like my fiancee says, "he's got 400hp and feels the need to use every last one of 'em." at the engine, that is. the hot part is that she knows the difference between bhp and whp.
    ~Jason
    2005 Acura RSX: Daily Driver duties
    1994 Toyota Corolla: the beater that just won't die!
    "Fast, Cheap, Reliable. You can only have two."

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    JoshieDoom...are you running REALLY lean??
    Maybe have the stock tune with an aftermarket MAF?

25MPG with the A4 is almost unheard of. More so if you go WOT at any point.

when i took my z to northcarolina two summers ago to visit Rob, i got 27 average with the 3,200 stall and my cam, with the 3.23 rear and loaded down with all my shit.

Black
    1998 WS6

22 mixed driving, 28 highway.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

ive seen as much as 32 on the highway...

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

wow.. man i must say i'm missing some mpg here some where... i actually just replaced wires plugs fuel filter a few months ago. i figured it would be smart to change them while the headers where off.

Though i'm using Autolight XP plugs.. and i think they are gaped at .60 because thats what shmucks told me and my reference book. But i read on here some where that the revised GM recomindation is .45... so maybe i need to regap...

I was thinking about getting some aftermarket coils to see if maybe my coils are just getting alittle weak.

1989 Nissan 570SX

not familiar with autolite, but if those are iridium plugs, leave the gap alone, or find out what gap NGK iridiums have and use that gap. i've long been a fan of NGK iridiums and i've run them in every performance car i've had. they last a long, long time (rated 60k miles in most maint. books) and are very resistant to detonation. and they're always gapped right, unless you drop it (or the guy at the store did). just a quick visual check is necessary; take a probe to them and all of them [of the same model #] always have the same gap. they're not cheap, but then it just comes back to the old adage, "you gotta pay to play." no sense in making a really short gap if you don't need to. ah, another reason i gave up positive intake manifold pressure. i'm running the stock heat range in my LS1 and they've been nothing but smooth running. you'd never know the car has solid motor mounts.

are the GenIII coils that bad? my past experience with COP systems is that they're almost always overkill by a lot. in fact, modern ignition systems in general seem to be overkill until you start force-feeding the cylinders by more than the usual ~0.5bar turbo and s/c kits. although i have seen lots of times where coils that are covered by pretty plastic pieces overheat and go bad. i learned early to always remove such decorative covers when i buy a motor or car that has them. i don't know if maybe that's why you [LS/x crowd] have problems with your coils or if they're just cheaply made; those are just my thoughts.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by setzer6127 View Post
    wow.. man i must say i'm missing some mpg here some where... i actually just replaced wires plugs fuel filter a few months ago. i figured it would be smart to change them while the headers where off.

Though i'm using Autolight XP plugs.. and i think they are gaped at .60 because thats what shmucks told me and my reference book. But i read on here some where that the revised GM recomindation is .45... so maybe i need to regap...

I was thinking about getting some aftermarket coils to see if maybe my coils are just getting alittle weak.
    Maybe you should use WEAPONX plugs...

1989 Nissan 570SX

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    Maybe you should use WEAPONX plugs...
    okay, i wasn't going to say anything, but i'll admit it was funny when i read it. the last motor i pulled autolite plugs out of, three [out of six] of them completely fell apart. the electrode snapped inside the insulator, near the tip, and came off with the spark plug boot on the wires. i was just going to check the plugs, but since half of them fell apart and were totally unusable, it ended up becoming a replacement. no, it wasn't my car, and i'm ashamed of knowing anybody with such a POS (or anybody that uses autolite plugs? /sorry, couldn't help it ), so i haven't said what kind of car.

EDIT: just realized [they] are a sponsor. sorry, sponsor.
    Last edited by 570SX; 07-20-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Thread Information