Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Attention SLP lid owners!

So I got mine in today.. did the hairdryer trick and all and it worked great.. looks good.

So first off im going to address some issues...

1st..The fitment is decent..it seals fairly well..i think it would do better possible on the ws6 lower airbox...
    2. Where can I get the grommet for the IAT sensor?.. my stocky is fat and ugly...
    3.The appearance is dull.. what kind of paint and prep do I need to do to paint the lid and lower airbox...
    4.. The BIGGIE...There is a lot of casting crap on the bottom.. its not baby butt smooth

SO PEOPLE WITH A DYNO.. try this if you can!!

This weekend im taking sandpaper,scotchbrite and some plastic polish and im going to smooth the piss outta the underside of the lid..

Im willing to bet that there could be an extra 3-5 hp gain if all the roughness and cast marks were smoothed out...

Feedback anyone??

rapter34
    for painting I just used the extra high temp engine paint had left from my intake. so Duplicolor paint promoter, primer, color, clear. o and I used 350 grit, 600 grit, than wetsanded with 2000.

I think it turned out good.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Looks pretty good.

UPDATE: What do you guys use to block off the giant air tube hole??
    Last edited by JoshieDoom; 03-27-2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: more crap

triple black
    02 z28 m6

you buy the right airlid and you dont get that hole. you bought the lid for an 00 to 02 ls1

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I only paid 75 shipped brand spanking new

For paint,,,no thanks,,,I prefer the stockish plastic look....but I'm sure rattle can paint for plastics are easy to find.

To block of the hole in the side,,,,not sure. I still run my hose to mine from the AIR pump even though I have the pump turned off at this time.

Smoothing the inside??? I didn't think that the inside of mine warranted smoothing. I also didn't notice much of any improvement with the lid installed, so going through the trouble of smoothing the inside for me seems like a moot point.

Give it a try though. Maybe you'll find something. I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the inside to get an idea of this rough molding flash you speak of.

It has a big wing!

I have to say that my lid didn't have any flash either...maybe I was just lucky.Plus,I didn't have any fitment issues either.At first I thought I was going to have a fitment issue but,it only turned out that the filter wasn't seated fully.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I've had no problems with my SLP lid, and it was very smooth on the inside when it arrived from SLP. In a few months, I will have had the lid for 8 years. It was the first mod I did on this SS; which took place a few weeks after I bought the car. (This SS was on the dealer lot less than 24 hours when I purchased it.)

However I did have a problem with the SLP Underdrive harmonic balancer/pulley I bought & installed about six months after the lid indtall. All was fine, until about 2.5 years later, when the pulley part separated slightly from around the balancer component and slowly "walked" right into the engine block making a nice little squeal and leaving a little half moon scratch on the front of the block. So, I re-installed the stocker.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

as far as the block off for the air pump, i just used a body plug. i found one that fit into the rubber ring and siliconed it in.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I took sandpaper and smoother out all the seems on the inside. So its fully smooth. No rough edges.

Could it be the fact that the non ws6 bottom airlid doesnt fit well?

Thread Information