Thread: asr help

red
    1998 camaro

asr help

I have been an owner of a 1998 Chevy Z/28 for about five years. I haven't had any problems until now. My car has a light on the dash that say ASR off. I have noticed that the traction control doesn't work anymore. I like the option of turning it off to do a burnout, but having it on with wet roads. I need help in finding out what the problem is, and how to correct it. Also when I bought the car the cat convertors were cut off. Someone told me that I could buy some o2 simulators and take care of the check engine light buring all the time. The only code it show is right and left outer bank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You will have to connect your car to a scanner to find out if you have a wheel speed sensor that is out of range or a broken speed sensor wire. You can try the simulators to cheat the PCM into thinking the cats are there. Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. It will have to be a brake code scanner though in order to read the ASR codes. Most common issues are damaged or corroded wiring and faulty senders. At each wheel there is a reluctor ring and a sensor that reads the magnetic pulses as the wheel rotates. The rotational differences are what trigger the ASR if it senses that one or more of the wheels is spinning faster than the others or is locked under heavy braking.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

+2

I would start by checking to ensure the speed sensors are 1) clean and 2)plugged in securely. If they are, you can trace the wiring back and make sure the wiring wasn't damaged or pinched anywhere.

Other than that, you probably will need to either buy a scanner capable of reading those codes (Pepboys/Autozone free scanners do not scan for this) or take it to a dealership to have it scanned.

This happened to me once and I was able to borrow my neighbors Snap-on scanner from him (he's a mechanic). Once I plugged it into the car and got to the right area I was able to see once the car started to move that my right-rear sensor was reading 0MPH so I knew that was the culprit. Ended up being a bad wire.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    ^^ This. It will have to be a brake code scanner though in order to read the ASR codes. Most common issues are damaged or corroded wiring and faulty senders. At each wheel there is a reluctor ring and a sensor that reads the magnetic pulses as the wheel rotates. The rotational differences are what trigger the ASR if it senses that one or more of the wheels is spinning faster than the others or is locked under heavy braking.
    should be both front wheels and one on the tranny tail housing...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    should be both front wheels and one on the tranny tail housing...

I thought "ASR" on a Camaro was the equivalent of "TCS" on a T/A. If so, there are sensors mounted on each axle tube in the rear. An "ABS" only car would have the single sensor on the differential as the reluctor is on the ring gear. Am I wrong on this?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I thought "ASR" on a Camaro was the equivalent of "TCS" on a T/A. If so, there are sensors mounted on each axle tube in the rear. An "ABS" only car would have the single sensor on the differential as the reluctor is on the ring gear. Am I wrong on this?
    You are correct Jeff.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Speed senor check using a brake scanner, and then as PAJeff said, check the reluctor wheel next. Good luck. If it ends up being a faulty speed sensor, the part is discontinued. Pull the part and take it to the delaership and match up the connectors and splice them together. I had to go that route on my '98 TA that I had.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

o well thats weird cause i checked all my speed sensors/abs sensors on my camaro in class i only had 2 up front and they worked with the one on the tail housing.... when the tail housing one(transmission tail housing) would spin faster than the fronts the traction control would kick in, same with abs if the back tires were to lock up that one tail housing sensor would show that they are locked and the fronts are spinning causing your abs to trip/low traction light.... i may be wrong but that is how my camaro is....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Brian - when did they become discontinued? I ordered one 2 years ago. Just curious.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

ops my bad i crawled under my car and there is speed sensors on the rear tires but there is also one on the tail housing.... sorry!

Thread Information