ASR and ABS inop lights on

I was driving last week normally, and all the sudden my ABS inop and ASR lights went on together and stayed on. Turning off the car and reseting PCM made no difference. I checked the third brake light and it is working. I am sitting at this car shop now, waiting for over an hour, and my car still hasn't been looked at and I really want to leave. Could be brake pads, could be relay... anyone have other ideas?

Thanks,

Anyone please? The shop I was at told me to take it to the dealer. The code would not be read by the reader at that shop. I have to take it tomorrow, very very early morning. I 'd rather do this myself, but I have no idea what is wrong.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Z28 Convertible

Eh I had the same problem cpl years back. I'm not much of a mechanic at all so bear with me. You ABS is throwing a code. Thats the primary problem. ASR can't function without ABS so that light comes on too. The problem in my case was a bad ABS controller. I have no idea what it is actually called. But the thing that physically makes the brakes pulse on and off real quick. Anyways for some reason you ony have standard brakes and not ABS so no ASR for you either. Oh an I had mine fixed at a dealer but it was under warranty so I didn't really check anywhere else. Hope that helps. Sorry for babbaling.

Rabbit, your response was helpful. The thing that matters to me is that this is something I have tried to self-fix, but its gonna have to goto the dealership. I just HATE taking my car to a dealership!!! They charge you 70 dollars to change a light bulb, 60 dollars to clean a filter, and probably they'd charge you for tightening a screw!! Sorry, I have to vent sometimes...

Thanks again

tyrsmok
    it's either a bad wheel speed sensor or the connector to the ABS ECU came loose. my guess would be a dirty wheel speed sensor.
    the dealer will be able to pull the code and tell you.

Just got done with the dealer. It turns out that one of the wiring harness was damaged to the front right wheel. The damage appears to be from friction with the tire since it seems a fastener might have broken.

The financial damage is...
    1 hour labor diagnosis - 80 dollars
    New part for the harness - 40 dollars
    .5 hours for install tomorrow - 40 dollars

The extra 1/2 hour is because THEY don't have the part today.

tyrsmok
    I'd get the new cable and install it yourself.
    they are pretty easy.

Yeah, it looks pretty easy to me too. Too bad I already paid for the part. I will probably eat the 40 bucks and earn my lesson once again.

** But I still need the code cleared, so I would end up having to go back regardless.

tyrsmok
    you don't need to clear the code. the lights will go off after you drive off at about 15mph.

the dealer told me I would need this done... probably the dealership's way of making sure i spend more money

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Not sure what kind of car you have but the code should clear itself after the wiring is fixed.You would have paid the labor to replace the wiring either way around it.They probably charge a minimum diagnostic fee of an hour-which is 80 bucks an hour for them.The best thing to do if the ABS light comes on is to look at the wheel speed sensors and the wiring and the brake fluid level and if all that's OK then take it in to be diagnosed-could save some money to look at it yourself.The equipment to check this stuff ain't cheap and there's alot of overhead in a shop-if you can fix it yourself you can save alot of money-if you can't then you gotta pay.

Yes, that's all true. Dealerships are still the last resort -- the first being self-fix, second being a local trusted shop.

I had the wiring replaced, and the code has been cleared.

Thread Information