The ashtray is driving me nuts!

Ok, so I bought my Trans Am about 3 goin on 4 years ago and the person that owned it previously was a smoker and took this,

http://www.projecttransam.com/Projec...0/MVC-896F.jpg

out so that the cover wouldn't keep springing back up when they wanted to drop some ash in the tray. My question, and I hope someone has an answer, is what that spring type is called and where I could pick one up 'cuz I don't like having that cover open and if you close it, everytime you hit the brakes, it flips back open. Please someone help me out

black
    2002 WS6

I have no clue to what it is calledm but should be easy enough to find in any junk yard, in any car that has that type of flip up lid

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

its a "thingy-ma-jigg"!

red
    2002 ss camaro

it's the widget arm thatattaches to your maniform.lol

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

You can rig one up, it a basic spring lock type. The only reason why I say basic is because I have done this several times . what I had to do is install a screw to replace the spring. So it was no longer a spring loaded but would close and stay closed, due to the screw closing the gap that the spring would close. I replaced the whole thing about a year ago so I can provide any pics but if you can picture what I'm trying to say then you can do some kind of modification. I do remeber installing a screw in the edge that the ashtray door is is connecting to the actual console. Looking at the picture its the hole that is on the far left.

Awaiting Activation

black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by muteki View Post
    its a "thingy-ma-jigg"!

No, it's a "thing-A-ma-jigg". A "thingY" is never used in conjunction with a "ma-jigg".

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SilverNineT9 View Post
    Ok, so I bought my Trans Am about 3 goin on 4 years ago and the person that owned it previously was a smoker and took this,

http://www.projecttransam.com/Projec...0/MVC-896F.jpg

out so that the cover wouldn't keep springing back up when they wanted to drop some ash in the tray. My question, and I hope someone has an answer, is what that spring type is called and where I could pick one up 'cuz I don't like having that cover open and if you close it, everytime you hit the brakes, it flips back open. Please someone help me out
    It's called a Front floor console ashtray door spring, part number 10291612 and is available through GMPartsDirect for $13.69. However, shipping is $12.95. More cost effective to just go to your local dealership and pick it up yourself. I have yet to find a schematic depicting the spring installation and points of termination. I have seen a hole at the base of the door hinge leg, and I surmise that is where one end of the spring goes, I just don't know where the other end of the spring is terminated. I know exactly what you are going through, because when I put on the brakes, mine opens too. And it is aggravating!! If you find where the end of the spring terminates, I would appreciate you letting me know!! Thanks man...

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    It's called a Front floor console ashtray door spring, part number 10291612 and is available through GMPartsDirect for $13.69. However, shipping is $12.95. More cost effective to just go to your local dealership and pick it up yourself. I have yet to find a schematic depicting the spring installation and points of termination. I have seen a hole at the base of the door hinge leg, and I surmise that is where one end of the spring goes, I just don't know where the other end of the spring is terminated. I know exactly what you are going through, because when I put on the brakes, mine opens too. And it is aggravating!! If you find where the end of the spring terminates, I would appreciate you letting me know!! Thanks man...
    $13.69 for a fucking spring!!!

Make sure you take some lube for your

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    I posted a few pics and a video (not the greatest quality) of the attached spring on another ls1.com thread today actually...and someone else posted a link that shows the lid removed w/ the spring still attached. Maybe this will help you; check it out: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...35#post1711835

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

I'd get some .020 diameter leader wire & make one

Thread Information